maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: How to use my 50% off coupon at Matrix?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:58 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4768
Holy crap I suck at this game. Just tried playing the first tutorial and the Romans chewed through my troops like a knife through butter. It's weird, I'm usually pretty good at ancient battle games. I mop up with RTW, usually able to beat armies 3 times my size. And I'm getting crushed in this game with AI on level 2 out of about 7. UGH!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
AngryOldMan wrote:
Is there a way to buy the game on Matrix and then download it as a Steam game? I see it is sold in both places but I don't know if my 50% off token will work at Steam. OTOH, I prefer Steam so I don't have to keep track of my installation media.

Yes.

You must log into the Matrix Members Club, i.e. the "Members" link at the top, with your unified Matrix/Slitherine login and register your game there (if it isn't already).

Then there will be a Steam code link next to it on your Members registered game list. Click it and it will give you a Steam key which you can use on the Steam client via Add A Game->Activate A Product on the bottom left corner of the Steam client.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:49 am 
Staff Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
AngryOldMan wrote:
Is there a way to buy the game on Matrix and then download it as a Steam game? I see it is sold in both places but I don't know if my 50% off token will work at Steam. OTOH, I prefer Steam so I don't have to keep track of my installation media.

Yes.

You must log into the Matrix Members Club, i.e. the "Members" link at the top, with your unified Matrix/Slitherine login and register your game there (if it isn't already).

Then there will be a Steam code link next to it on your Members registered game list. Click it and it will give you a Steam key which you can use on the Steam client via Add A Game->Activate A Product on the bottom left corner of the Steam client.

Yeah, I already did all that. No Steam Link. I show Steam Links for about half of my games but not this one. And it is registered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:14 am 
Staff Sergeant

AngryOldMan wrote:

Yeah, I already did all that. No Steam Link. I show Steam Links for about half of my games but not this one. And it is registered.

OK, just heard back from support. Turns out if your Matrix/Slither serial number is of a certain format, then it IS already a Steam Key and you don't need to retrieve a separate Steam Key.

Seems like they could make that a LOT more clear on their website and save everyone including their support time. There is absolutely no indication that my existing serial number is also a Steam Key.

Anyway, problem solved, game added to Steam. Thanks all for help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:17 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 19776
AngryOldMan wrote:
AngryOldMan wrote:

OK, just heard back from support. Turns out if your Matrix/Slither serial number is of a certain format, then it IS already a Steam Key and you don't need to retrieve a separate Steam Key.

Seems like they could make that a LOT more clear on their website and save everyone including their support time. There is absolutely no indication that my existing serial number is also a Steam Key.

Anyway, problem solved, game added to Steam. Thanks all for help!

:)

Ah, yes. I believe they recently started using Steam keys for both.

Pretty sure they're gonna do that from here onward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:12 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12189
I got chewed on pretty good my first time as well. There are some good YouTube videos out there to explain it. I'm still not very good yet though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:05 am 
Staff Sergeant

nelmsm wrote:
I got chewed on pretty good my first time as well. There are some good YouTube videos out there to explain it. I'm still not very good yet though.

Yeah I figured it out on my second try. Was just a matter of understanding ZOC and how to flank. The YT videos definitely helped. Really like the game mechanics now that I'm starting to understand them. They all seem logical. But there is enough unpredictability of the battles that you can't ever be 100% certain of the outcome which is as it should be.

I'm thinking of trying a campaign now. I feel like using the same troop types over and over will help me get a better understanding of the subtleties. That's how I learned RTW. I played the Romans over and over until I fully understood the capabilities of their troops and what parts of my army needed supplementing with mercs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Started a new 'sandbox' campaign. Romans circa 200-250 B.C. or thereabouts vs. the Gauls.

Tiny -> Small

Figured it would be a good learning campaign, keeping the battles small and manageable.

Was a little surprised in the first round by a few things:
1) The Gauls did not advance, they stayed back in rough terrain and partially on a hill. Did not want to fight uphill so I decided to move diagonally up and try to approach them from the side that wasn't elevated.
2) After a few moves, they finally came towards me and kind of caught me a little out of position.
3) They brought in a flanking force about turn 3 that I didn't expect which caused me some problems.
4) There is a turn limit which I didn't realize so my slow maneuvering at the start put me in time trouble.
5) Many of their troops that had broken recovered but none of mine did.

All these things added up to a much tougher than expected battle. But I did finally win on the very last turn causing 61% of their troops to break. I think you need 60 or 40 more than them. I was at about 25% myself.

Learned a lot from that battle. Definitely need more cav next battle (only had my General's cav unit). That gives you a lot more flexibility to deal with unexpected issues. In this case I had to run my 1 cav unit all the way from the right flank to the left to just barely catch the flanking force in time.

Also, withdrawing from battle is risky as it almost always results in 1 level increase in disruption. I wonder if you could even do Hannibal's maneuver at Cannae in this game system where he slowly withdrew in the center making the Romans think they were pushing them back and winning while holding on the flanks to allow the Romans to surround themselves. Maybe you would have to withdraw right before contact to avoid disruption?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:31 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
In answer to the thread title: Don't use it. If you use it, you're still paying 50% too much.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant

mdiehl wrote:
In answer to the thread title: Don't use it. If you use it, you're still paying 50% too much.

Are you referring specifically to this game or Matrix games in general?

Profile E-mail