maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 220  Next
 Post subject: Re: Youtube Favorite of the Day
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
When they made Asia they had switched over to hiring session musicians that would come in cold and be handed a sheet of music. Damned impressive. I think they drove a lot of musicians crazy. On one song they brought in Michael McDonald to do vocals and then had him cut overdubs a fraction of an octave above the first cut. He said it was hard as Hell even though he was an experienced and expert vocalist who did session work for a living for part of his career. I don't think casual listeners realize how cerebral their work was. Everything was a concept or reference to some music that came before.

Really good documentary

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
Interesting point at 25:00 that seems to sum it up 'They weren't after perfection . . . we would work PAST perfection until it became natural!' Yep!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:09 am 
Sergeant Major

yes, that is why an expert drummer is more pleasing to the human ear than a digital rhythm box. Subtle variations in emphasis or tone or even rhythm are inherently interesting.

Ever listen to the Fleetwood Mac Rumors album with headphones? You can hear the skill of Mick Fleetwood. He was the boss in the recording studio and he had the engineer push up the drum track but the lyrics and vocals hooks are so f****** good you don't notice the drums until you put on headphones. They recorded in a studio using all analog stuff that was famous for it's accidental hot drum sound. Fleetwood did this on purpose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 am 
Sergeant Major

Fantastic story of Muscle Shoals and the Swampers...or as the boys from Lynyrd Skynyrd would say "the swampahs"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
I found this by accident a while back ... and on purpose today (it was easier when I found it by accident).

I stumbled over the video ... decided to watch it ... noticed that looked like Jerry Douglas in there ... and it is !!

Oh and if you don't know who Jerry Douglas is ... shame on you :D

He might be the best dang dobro player in the whole dang wer alade !!!

:D

He is sort of "hiding out" in this one ... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:54 am 
Sergeant Major

You fuckers and your Steely Dan videos have brought me to the realization that, I have for years been, unwittingly, a gigantic Steely Dan fan. Jesus, I know the fucking WORDS to most of these songs. It is almost like they are the background music in my mind just waiting to play at any given moment. Their wiki page had a line about some rock lore pundit calling them the "antiheroes of 70's rock music" or some such, so that must be it.

Had Deacon Blues stuck in my head for days. Maybe FM (No Static At All) can root it out . . .

A good playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Cjae-ufs0K

. . . imagines driving around in a Mercedes in a posh SW desert Suburbia going to pick up a debutante to go to the ball . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Funniest accident I've ever seen. There's a youtube but it has idiotic commentary. Liveleak has the raw footage.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sDNZa_1557668410

don't take a sip of anything while watching you'll spit it out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Extremely ill-considered "pedestrian slide" in Spain :lol:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/spain-sli ... ries-chute

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 pm 
Sergeant Major

Might have to reinstall this game again at some point. I think there are now quite a few good mods that make an actual survival mode playstyle viable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000

A video that touches upon a variety of subjects affecting the UK (elections, BBC coverage, humor in Britain, etc).

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 220  Next