maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: No One Here Gets Out Alive - 2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:28 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13603
Jan Michael Vincent starred w/Robert Mitchum in the Winds of War TV miniseries https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085112/, not in the second part because of lifestyle. Did a good job in the first.

RIP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
Chewy dies aged 74...

Quote:
Peter Mayhew, the actor who played Chewbacca in the Star Wars films, has died aged 74, his family says.

He passed away at his home in Texas on 30 April with his family by his side, a statement said.

The British-American actor played giant Wookiee warrior Chewbacca in the original trilogy beginning in 1977 as well as later films until 2015.

"He put his heart and soul into the role of Chewbacca and it showed in every frame," his family said.

Mayhew played Chewbacca in the original Star Wars trilogy, episode three of the prequels and the New Trilogy.

"He fought his way back from being wheelchair-bound to stand tall and portray Chewbacca once more in Star Wars: The Force Awakens," his family said.

He also consulted on The Last Jedi, released in 2017, in an attempt to pass on the secrets of the role to his successor Finland's Joonas Suotamo.

Mayhew's family said "the Star Wars family meant so much more to him than a role in a film".

"The relationships that began then grew into the friends and family that he would love for decades to come."

The statement also said the actor had been "heavily involved" with non-profit organisations, and had launched his own foundation, which they said supported "everything from individuals and families in crisis situations to food and supplies for children of Venezuela".

Mayhew's family did not say what the cause of his death was.

The London-born actor, who was 7ft 2in (2.18m) tall, is survived by his wife Angie and three children.

Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original Star Wars films, described Mayhew as "the gentlest of giants".

"A big man with an even bigger heart who never failed to make me smile and a loyal friend who I loved dearly," Hamill tweeted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48142765

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:58 am 
First Sergeant

Doris Day gone aged 97. Hap tip to Joe for the heads up...

Quote:
Hollywood legend Doris Day, whose films made her one of the biggest female stars of all time, has died aged 97.

The singer turned actress starred in films such as Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk and had a hit in 1956 with Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be).

Her screen partnership with Rock Hudson was one of the biggest box-office draws of the 1950s and 60s.

In a statement, the Doris Day Animal Foundation said she died on Monday at her home in Carmel Valley, California.

It said she had been "in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia".

"She was surrounded by a few close friends as she passed," the statement continued.

Born Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff in April 1922, Day originally wanted to be a dancer but had to abandon her dream after breaking her right leg in a car accident.

Instead she began her singing career at the age of 15. Her first hit, Sentimental Journey, would become a signature tune.

Her films, which included Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much and That Touch of Mink, made her known around the world.

But she never won an Oscar and was nominated only once, in 1960, for Pillow Talk, the first of her three romantic comedies with Hudson.

Honours she did receive included the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and a lifetime achievement Grammy in 2008.

Her last release, the compilation album My Heart, went to number one in the UK in 2011.

Day's wholesome, girl-next-door image was a popular part of her myth that sometimes invited ridicule.

"I've been around so long, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin," the comedian Oscar Levant once remarked.

Day herself said her "Miss Chastity Belt" image was "more make-believe than any film part [she] ever played."

Her life was certainly not as sunny. She married four times, was divorced three times and was widowed once.

She also suffered a mental breakdown and had severe financial trouble after one husband squandered her money.

In the 1970s, she turned away from performing to focus her energies on her animal foundation.

According to the organisation, she wished to have no funeral, memorial service or grave marker.

Star Trek actor William Shatner remembered Day on Twitter as "the World's Sweetheart," saying she was "beloved by all".

Fellow Star Trek cast member George Takei said she was "synonymous with Hollywood icon", while Spanish actor Antonio Banderas wrote: "Thank you for your talent."

Novelist Paulo Coelho marked her passing by quoting lyrics from Secret Love, one of her numbers in Calamity Jane.

"We've lost another great Hollywood talent," tweeted Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, while actor Luke Evans said he had "always loved" her voice and "beautiful" songs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm 
First Sergeant

RIP Grumpy Cat.

Quote:
Grumpy Cat, the feline famous on the internet for her permanent scowl, has died aged seven, her owners say.

A statement says she died on Tuesday following complications from a recent urinary tract infection.

The cat from Arizona had "helped millions of people smile".

Grumpy, whose real name was Tardar Sauce, went viral in 2012 after photographs of her sour expression emerged online. Her image quickly spread as a meme.

According to owner Tabitha Bundesen, her facial expression was caused by feline dwarfism and an underbite.

Grumpy Cat travelled the world making television appearances and in 2014 even starred in her own Christmas film.

Madame Tussauds in San Francisco unveiled a waxwork of her in 2015.

Her Instagram account has more than two million followers.

Grumpy's face has starred in thousands of memes with many people choosing to share them again after hearing the news of her death.

Others - including a social media account for cartoon cat Garfield - simply paid tribute.

American actress Aubrey Plaza, who played the voice of the cat in the 2014 film, said her "heart was broken".

In 2018, the cat's owners won a $710,000 (£555,000) payout in a copyright lawsuit.

Grumpy Cat Limited sued the owners of the US coffee company Grenade for exceeding an agreement over the cat's image.

The company only had rights to use the cat to sell its "Grumppuccino" iced drink, but was also selling other Grumpy products.

Ms Bundesen previously worked as a waitress before her beloved pet gained internet stardom. She told the Express newspaper that she quit her job "within days" of Grumpy's first appearance on social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48308638

Attachment:
1558094468900.jpg
1558094468900.jpg [ 65.2 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rutg ... 203278050/

Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75

By CHRIS MORRIS

Rutger Hauer, the versatile Dutch leading man of the ’70s who went on star in the 1982 “Blade Runner” as Roy Batty, died July 19 at his home in the Netherlands after a short illness. He was 75.

Hauer’s agent, Steve Kenis, confirmed the news and said that Hauer’s funeral was held Wednesday.

His most cherished performance came in a film that was a resounding flop on its original release. In 1982, he portrayed the murderous yet soulful Roy Batty, leader of a gang of outlaw replicants, opposite Harrison Ford in Ridley Scott’s sci-fi noir opus “Blade Runner.” The picture became a widely influential cult favorite, and Batty proved to be Hauer’s most indelible role.

More recently, he appeared in a pair of 2005 films: as Cardinal Roark in “Sin City,” and as the corporate villain who Bruce Wayne discovers is running the Wayne Corp. in Christopher Nolan’s “Batman Begins.”

In “True Blood,” he played Niall Brigant, the king of the tribe from which the Stackhouse family is descended and the faerie grandfather to Sookie, Jason Stackhouse and Hunter Savoy. Hauer also recurred on ABC’s medieval musical comedy “Galavant” as Kingsley in 2015.

He was a natural at horror and vampire roles, starring as Van Helsing in Dario Argento’s “Dracula 3D,” and as the vampire Barlow in the 2004 miniseries adaptation of Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot” along with Rob Lowe, Andre Braugher and Donald Sutherland. 

Handsome, energetic and fluent in several languages, Hauer made his first mark in the late ‘60s in the Netherlands as the star of Paul Verhoeven’s medieval TV series “Floris.” He vaulted to the top ranks of Dutch stardom in 1973 opposite Monique van de Ven in Verhoeven’s sexually explosive drama “Turkish Delight,” which became a box-office smash and garnered an Oscar nod as best foreign film.

After three more Dutch features with Verhoeven that became art-house successes in the U.S., Hauer segued to a Hollywood career with a flashy role as a terrorist in the 1981 Sylvester Stallone thriller “Nighthawks.”

Hauer increasingly turned to action-oriented parts in the ‘80s: He toplined the big-budget fantasy “Ladyhawke” (1985), reteamed with fellow Hollywood transplant Verhoeven in the sword-and-armor epic “Flesh & Blood” (1985), starred as a psychotic killer in “The Hitcher” (1986), and took Steve McQueen’s shotgun-toting bounty hunter role in a modern reboot of the TV Western “Wanted: Dead or Alive” (1986).

His major artistic triumph came in Ermanno Olmi’s Italian production “The Legend of the Holy Drinker” (1988); his sensitive turn as a homeless drunk and petty criminal who finds redemption in Paris carried the feature, which collected the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.

During the ‘90s, Hauer gravitated to more routine roles in American and international productions and played the vampire lord Lothos in the original film version of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.”

He debuted as a small screen star as Nazi official Albert Speer in the 1982 telefilm adaptation of Speer’s book “Inside the Third Reich.” His most admired TV work came in projects that turned on World War II themes: He received Golden Globe nominations for his performances as the leader of a concentration camp revolt in “Escape From Sobibor” (1987) and an SS officer in the alternate-universe drama “Fatherland” (1994).

He was born Jan. 23, 1944, in Breukelen, the Netherlands, near Amsterdam. Though both his parents were acting teachers, he took a circuitous route to the craft. He ran away from home at 15 to join the Dutch merchant navy; after returning to Amsterdam in 1962 he briefly studied acting, but exited school again for a stint in the army.

Finally committing himself to the stage, he became a member of the touring experimental troupe Noorder Compagnie, in which he acted, directed and served as costume designer and translator for several years.

His major break came in 1969 when Verhoeven cast him in the title role of “Floris,” an Ivanhoe-like knight who becomes embroiled in court intrigue upon his return from the Crusades. The show proved wildly popular, and Hauer reprised the part in a 1975 revival of the series, “Floris von Rosemund.”

By that time, the steamy, affecting “Turkish Delight” had firmly established him as the Netherlands’ top B.O. attraction. He reunited with Verhoeven and his co-star van de Ven for the period drama “Katie Tippel” (1975); he renewed his collaboration with the director with the World War II saga “Soldier of Orange” (1977) and the bold contemporary drama “Spetters” (1980).

Hauer made an almost immediate and intense impression as Batty in his sophomore American feature “Blade Runner,” an adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” He wrote his own dialog for the film’s climactic face-off with his adversary Ford. Though the film swiftly fell off screens, it remains a genre landmark today, in no small measure because of Hauer’s electrifying performance.

Olmi’s “The Legend of the Holy Drinker” brought him possibly the best notices of his career, but it failed to attract great attention beyond art-house audiences, and Hauer soon became a familiar and prolific supporting player in a variety of genre pictures, several of which went direct to home video. He shot seven features in 2001 alone.

He was active in social causes as an outspoken sponsor of the environmental organization Greenpeace and the founder the Starfish Association, a non-profit devoted to AIDS awareness.

He is survived by his second wife of 50 years, Ineke ten Cate, and a daughter, actress Aysha Hauer, from his marriage to Heidi Merz.
— Carmel Dagan contributed to this report.

RIP.

I think Hauer was a good actor.
While he did star in some high profile films, he did a lot of supporting roles, or appeared in lower/2nd tier films. IMHO, he did a damn good job in those roles.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:35 pm 
First Sergeant

Hauer was a favorite on 4chan's /tv/ board. They have a thread sticked to his memory with the epithet "He's watching C-beams glitter in Heaven now lads".

http://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/118543250

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:55 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1490
"Wanted, Dead or Alive" was a favorite.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm 
First Sergeant

Battle of Britain pilot Archie McInnes dies after his 100th birthday..

Quote:
A Battle of Britain veteran has died hours after celebrating his 100th birthday, taking the number of surviving members of "The Few" to five, his biographer said.

Archie McInnes, who retired to Cambridge, flew Hurricanes during the battle in the skies over southern England.

He completed his pilot training aged 21 and was commissioned the next day.

He celebrated his 100th birthday on Wednesday. He then died that night.

His biographer and friend, Jonny Cracknell, wrote of his sadness of the "hero" passing:

He had earlier written to wish Flt Lt McInnes a happy birthday, noting that he was the "last of the six remaining Battle of Britain 'Few' to become a centenarian".

Those who fought in the three-and-a-half-month Battle of Britain came to be known as The Few after a speech by prime minister Winston Churchill.

The former leader said of their sacrifices in battle: "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

The British victory marked a turning point in World War Two, but by the end of the battle 544 RAF pilots and aircrew had died.

The veteran pilot flew Hurricanes with 601 Squadron in Exeter, later moving to 238 Squadron at Chilbolton, Hampshire, on 8 October 1940.

After the Battle of Britain ended on 31 October 1940 he was on board HMS Victorious as part of the team hunting for German battleship the Bismarck.

From April 1941, Flt Lt McInnes was part of the North African campaign where he flew various missions including providing cover for bombers.

He was shot down by a Messerschmitt fighter plane on October 30 1941 and lost his left arm.

He was released from the RAF in 1946 as a flight lieutenant and eventually retired to village life just outside Cambridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-49204090

What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

RIP Archie McInnes.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next