maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zoombie Redoubts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16552
Got some new binos back in Nov and haven't posted much about them ... I spent a LONG time studying up before buying ... I got some Barska 12x60mm Marine binos in a pawn shop 7 years ago when I first came out here ... but they are fairly large and I have a lower than average interpupulary distance and I can't get the Barska's down to one circle. That said, I've always thought the image through them was decent ... well ... until I got the new ones.

I thought about posting in the shooting thread, but I've really been using them 90% for non-shooting related viewing around the area. So posting here.

Here they are mounted on one of my older Manfrotto tripods ...

These are Zeiss Victory 10x45mm Ranging Binos.

I also got a 3x multiplier which presses on to a single barrel. This boosts up the magnification on that Barrel to 30x .. essentially converting that barrel to a spotting scope. I've been reluctant to carry a separate spotting scope and this multiplier removes the need to do so !
I put the 3x on the left barrel, as the LRF is on the right barrel and want to keep that capability functional which it is not if you put the multiplier over there.

To carry them, I got an Alaska Guides chest carry pouch. The binos go in the center main compartment and the 3x goes in the small front pouch. Cleaning materials can also be carried.

==
The clarity of the image, a.k.a. the resolution is AMAZING. I have also looked thru the Lieca and Swavorski similar entries ... and the Zeiss give up nothing to these other high end players in this space.

==
As to ranging, mine are used, discontinued about 4 years old, so I've been able to range consistently in the day out to 1,100 yds ... whereas the more modern models can range out to 2,500 yds or even 3,000 for the lieca. But for shooting purposes, 1,100 if fine. And I have other range finders, that can be used if needed.

Here they are in the field, spotting for the rifle at 500yds.

==
Because I got an older/used set, the ranging capabilities are reduced compared to more modern units, but the cost was less than half. The binos seem to have been very lightly used and came in the original packaging. I take them out often to practice observing in the day. I've spent the last six years learning how to observe at night. And actually I find observing during the day to be tougher !!! Because we can see so much more !
I'm doing three scans: Movement, shape and color. But I can spot tree rats, 200yds back in the woods, or 500yds away on the other side of the alfalfa patch, for example.

Stability is ideal for smaller or more distant objects. Going prone and using a ruck works, the tripod also works, but not too practical to take for foot movements.

So I like them and use them a lot and mostly for helping find the cattle and other objects/critters during the day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
It's great that you keep current on your skills. But seriously, is the lrs thing about coyotes? You figure next to learn how to cure the hides?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

As far as ranging for shooting ...

See that little tan box sitting on top of the scope? That's a Wilcox RAPTAR. This range finder can be "zeroed" to the center of the day scope reticle and then can range what the center of the reticle is pointed at. So, see a yote, range a yote, hold your DOPE and fire.

I have two more lower cost rifle mountable range finders (Radius) ... here's one mounted on the side of this rifle ... the grey double barreled looking thing ...

So at any given moment, three of my firearms have attached ranging, aligned with the scope. The separate bino and handeld range finders are for observing and ranging what you are seeing. Which might be generally useful for shooting later, but for immediate ranging while shooting, we use the rifle mounted range finders.

==
As to the processing of critters. My skills are still next to zero in that department. I have one neighbor who does it regularly and I could learn from him, but I need to make it a higher priority.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 19875
:lol: Coyote habitat, North America

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 93.78 KiB | Viewed 277 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
The Great North American Coyote Exclusion Zone . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:38 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Will AOC and the Dems require Wilkerson to change his cow raising methods?

'Cow toilets' in Netherlands aim to cut e-moo-ssions

Only time will tell.....
;)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:07 am 
Sergeant Major

Must be a good smelling camera !! :D

Somebody wants a taste :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:57 pm 
Sergeant Major

Still getting about 2 tree rats per week ... saw this one when I was taking about the garbage ... he was in a bush down by the creek. Went in house got day .22lr(20)

Came back out thru door on opposite side of house. Stalked one step every 30s while scanning along the creek and up into the trees nearby. Eventually saw the tree rat munching away up in the "V" of a branch. He was not looking at me. I est. distance as 50yds ... and per last weekends calibration (I forgot to post) I held .5 inches up ... at the top of his head ... scope on 6x (it's min setting ... which I use for tree rats) and fired. He made no further moves, just fell straight over and out of the tree. It was an ear shot and brain scrambler ... I later checked distance at 47yds.

They keep eating on our deck, they keep dying ... I have no idea where they are all coming from.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:22 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7113
Too expensive for a tree rat, get this, much cheaper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Benjamin-Dis ... P/14234837

I got mine from Pyramid Air...…..came with a scope and everything. Think 450 or so.

http://thebestairrifle.com/benjamin-dis ... 22-review/

Everything said is true. I head shot a Dove at 50 meters with the damn thing. Tree rats don't stand a chance even at 75 to 100 meters. At 35 meters, it blows right thru 3/4 plywood. It is loud for a air rifle, but I love the thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
jwilkerson wrote:
Still getting about 2 tree rats per week ... saw this one when I was taking about the garbage ... he was in a bush down by the creek. Went in house got day .22lr(20)

Came back out thru door on opposite side of house. Stalked one step every 30s while scanning along the creek and up into the trees nearby. Eventually saw the tree rat munching away up in the "V" of a branch. He was not looking at me. I est. distance as 50yds ... and per last weekends calibration (I forgot to post) I held .5 inches up ... at the top of his head ... scope on 6x (it's min setting ... which I use for tree rats) and fired. He made no further moves, just fell straight over and out of the tree. It was an ear shot and brain scrambler ... I later checked distance at 47yds.

They keep eating on our deck, they keep dying ... I have no idea where they are all coming from.

The only thing here is that I hope you used Lapua ammo...

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 92  Next