It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Russian rocket fails
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... entry.html

Quote:
Miracle escape for Space Station astronauts as rocket fails mid-launch: American and Russian hurtle back to Earth in harrowing 7G 'ballistic re-entry' and survive

The secondary booster rockets on the Russian-made Soyuz spacecraft failed just after it launched Thursday
    American Nick Hague and Russian Aleksey Ovchinin were forced to carry out a 'ballistic re-entry' to get back
    The two-strong crew landed safely at a site in Kazakhstan hundreds of miles away from the initial launch site
    Video footage from the launch shows the pair being shaken around as the engine malfunctioned in mid-flight
    After the incident Russia announced Soyuz flights to the International Space Station would be suspended

By GEORGE MARTIN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 05:04 EDT, 11 October 2018 | UPDATED: 08:22 EDT, 11 October 2018

Two astronauts are alive after dramatically aborting their voyage to the International Space Station when their Russian Soyuz rocket malfunctioned while it carried them into orbit at 4,970mph.

American Nick Hague and Russian Aleksey Ovchinin were forced to abort their mission on the cusp of space, at an altitude of approximately 50km (164,000ft).

They landed safely in Kazakhstan after a ‘ballistic re-entry’, during which they experienced forces of up to 7G.

Video footage from the launch at the Baikonur Cosmodrome shows a large plume of smoke coming from the rocket at the moment it failed and footage from inside the capsule shows the two astronauts being violently shaken about.

The secondary booster rocket failed shortly after the rocket jettisoned its first four booster rockets in stage-one separation at 164,000ft above the Earth but before the rocket entered orbit.

That meant automatic escape procedures kicked in and pointed the capsule, that was designed in the 1960s, back to Earth.

Search and rescue teams were scrambled to the touchdown location as NASA revealed the descent meant the Russian-built Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft had to take 'a sharper angle of landing compared to normal'.

It comes weeks after a hole was discovered in the International Space Station amid talk from the Russian space authorities of deliberate sabotage. The Russians have suspended Soyuz flights to the space station while they investigate the cause of the booster failure.

The Soyuz is the only way to get people to the space station at the moment but officials insist the astronauts currently on the space station have enough supplies.

NASA rookie Nick Hague and second-time flyer Aleksey Ovchinin of the Russian space agency were setting off for a six-month mission at the International Space Station Thursday, on a relatively rare two-man launch.

A spokesperson for NASA said that rescue teams have now reached Hague and Ovchinin and they've been taken out of the capsule and were in 'good condition'.

The craft's landing engines and parachute system were said to have done their job as normal despite the enormous G-force acting on both the shuttle and crew during the landing.

Shortly after the incident rescue crews and paratroopers were rushed the emergency landing site in the barren Kazakh steppe to provide support for the crew.

NASA had issued a worrying tweet on Thursday morning saying: 'There's been an issue with the booster from today's launch. Teams have been in contact with the crew.'

'The capsule is returning via a ballistic descent, which is a sharper angle of landing compared to normal. Search and rescue teams are heading towards the expected touchdown location of the spacecraft and crew.'

Cosmonaut Alexander Volkov commented: 'The guys are lucky that they remained alive. They had reached a good height so it was possible to descend in their capsule.'

Roscosmos, the Russian national space agency, and NASA said the three-stage Soyuz booster suffered an emergency shutdown during its second stage.

'Thank God, the crew is alive,' Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters when it became clear that the crew had landed safely.

The Soyuz rocket was due to dock at the orbiting outpost of the International Space Station six hours later, but the booster suffered a failure minutes after the launch.

NASA and Russian Roscosmos space agency said the astronauts were in good condition after their capsule landed about 20 kilometers (12 miles) east of the city of Dzhezkazgan in Kazakhstan.

Former military pilots Ovchinin and Hague were set to join Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency, NASA's Serena Aunon-Chancellor and Sergey Prokopyev of Roscosmos following a six-hour flight.

The International Space Station - a rare point of cooperation between Moscow and Washington - has been orbiting the Earth at roughly 28,000 kilometres per hour since 1998 and will mark its 20th birthday in November.

The astronauts of the Soyuz MS-10 are said to have switched into 'ballistic descent mode' once they were notified of the second stage booster fault.

This means the core automatically separated from the faulty booster and turned back to Earth.

The rocket came in at a much sharper angle than normal, allowing the craft to head as quickly as possible to the ground.

It is believed the rocket was travelling at more than 8,000 miles per hour (12,800kph) during its descent.

The astronauts would have experienced G-force pressure as high as 7Gs.

Rockets use boosters to provide the thrust they need to launch from Earth and breech the atmosphere.

They set the trajectory for the flight, and if they aren't running at full capacity could send the rocket in completely the wrong direction.

The Soyuz MS-10 rocket had four first-stage boosters strapped to its central core, which housed the second stage booster.

A booster can fail for any number of reasons, including incorrect fuelling, mechanical faults, computer glitches and more.

In the event of a booster failure, mission control will normally cancel the flight to avoid endangering the astronauts on board.

The rocket is put into an emergency landing procedure in which the main module - holding all cargo and any astronauts on board - separates from the rocket early.

Over the past few years the Russian space industry has suffered a series of problems including the loss of a number of satellites and other spacecraft.

Glitches found in Russia's Proton and Soyuz rockets in 2016 were traced to manufacturing flaws at the plant in Voronezh. Roscosmos sent more than 70 rocket engines back to production lines to replace faulty components, a move that resulted in a yearlong break in Proton launches and badly dented Russia's niche in the global market for commercial satellite launches.

Only last month a hole was discovered in the International Space Station which Roscosmos claimed was drilled deliberately.

Roscosmos chief Dmitry Rogozin, who watched the launch together with NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, tweeted that a panel has been set up to investigate the cause of the booster failure.

Thursday's failure was the first manned launch failure for the Russian space program since September 1983 when a Soyuz exploded on the launch pad.

More video, photos at above link

A lucky break for the two astronauts (or should I say for 1 astronaut and 1 cosmonaut)

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Russian rocket fails
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
7G ... I bet it was way more than that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:16 am 
Sergeant Major

I'd bet 7G is truthful. I think a "ballistic reentry" means you are just following the roughly parabolic trajectory established when the 2nd stage failed. They would have to separate from the failed second stage, which I think just means some explosive bolts and then they have to jettison the orbital maneuvering part of Soyuz...and then the capsule settles into a descent trajectory passively. So most of the jostling would probably come as the capsule settles it's ass end toward earth passively...and then maybe the chute deployment might be more violent too.

Even so, I don't think this has ever happened in the history of manned space flight so it would definitely be serious pucker time for everyone, especially the crew.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8527
I don't think you can "jettison" the rocket and just float home. I would assume it works like an ejection seat to separate the capsule from the rocket and, for example, a possible explosion. So yep, 7 G's makes sense as a human (trained pilot) can't take for a sustained amount of time 7.5 G's without blacking out.

I've pulled (and over stressed) an aircraft with a sharp pull up of 9 G's. As one pulls more and more G's less blood flows to the head and your peripheral vision starts to fade. Pilots are taught how to clinch their stomach muscles to force blood to the brain. The more you lose peripheral vision, the more you strain to keep consciousness. The sharp pull up at 9 G's had almost no effect as it only lasted for a couple seconds.

The pilot gave me a lot of shit for that (as he should have), as over stressing an aircraft takes away service life and requires a protracted inspection of the aircraft.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
Quote:
Hague and Ovchinin and they've been taken out of the capsule and were in 'good condition'.

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
All things considered, it is amazing this kind of thing happens so rarely. Especially given Russia.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Soyuz has a rocket-powered emergency escape system but this is for emergency separation when there is a first stage malfunction when a forceful acceleration is required to get clear quickly.

This escape system is jettisoned right before the first stage cuts out (see the 2:25 mark in the video). ...THEN the 2nd stage is supposed to ignite after the first falls away. That is where the current launch went bad...failure of the second stage.

The Soyuz will NOT reach orbit without the second stage so what they have at that point is a really expensive IRBM. They are coming back to Earth whether they have St Christopher medals or not. So, like I said, there is a mechanism to jettison the non-functioning second stage. This is not a violent action because it does not need to be. They also have to get rid of the orbital module of the Soyuz that has the fuel and big solar panels. At that point, as the Soyuz reentry vehicle is descending, it will passively assume an ass-first attitude just based on geometry and drag. the apogee for this flight was 55 miles and the thing landed about 250 miles downrange so that is a pretty steep descent , much steeper than an orbital reentry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm 
Sergeant Major

Normal second stage separation at 5:25 on the video. Pretty smooth, even with the upper stage firing up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

3rd stage cutoff is more jerky...scares the astronaut on the left of the frame. :lol: 9:06

I wonder if the procedure when the 2nd stage fails is to just separate the unused 3rd stage from the capsule WITH the 2nd stage still attached below?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:02 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
Thank God that they are safe.

Profile E-mail