It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

It's the Gulag of Fun

Post subject: Fat Bois
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16086
I'm guessing most of us are fat, relatively speaking.

I was in literally FANTASTIC shape right up until 2007. I could literally swim a mile or run 5 miles right off the sofa. I just never had the physique to have the fabled "six pack" but there was, nonetheless, very little body fat. Not male runway model "I'm bulimic and will probably commit suicide" low body fat but low . . .

Then I got a job in academia and within 10 years that job in academia had turned into a fucking nightmare of neo-Marxist political correctness commissars trying to get rid of me. Of course it fucked with my head (as did the whole process of trying to be a wolf pretending to be a skunk and live among the skunks . . .).

I think at my worst back in say 2015 I was at about 103kg (227 lbs) and for my 1.8034m frame (5'11") that is just way too fat. Even right now at 200 or 210 (not actually sure, but for my calculations I'm assuming 210) I'm pretty sure I'm still in the "obese" category.

So I finally went and got my annual physical (only about a year late). I like the guy. He is, I'm almost certain a radical Hillary voter, but ah well; he seems to be a good doc and shoot straight. Main thing that precipitated me going was: I had sprained my ankle back beginning of the summer working on our property and that seems to have been healing at a very slow rate, and that whole leg seems to be kinda prone to soreness and numbness . . . long story. Other than that, I actually feel GREAT! Well yeah, a bit fat, but GREAT!

So to make a long story short, my docs prognosis: 1. Lose weight; 2. Wear sturdier shoes (to provide better support, e.g., something like Red Wing work boots). You see why I like the guy now? He doesn't fuck around with nonsense.

So I've taken to heart his advice to lose weight and I'm doing it the only sensible way to do it: I've calculated my estimated BMR (or another way to consider that is my kilo-caloric allowance) and I'm keeping track of what I actually consume. If I stick to this religiously, and keep track of ever bite I put in my mouth, and moreover add some exercise back in as the leg feels better, I have no doubt I can get back to being "in range" of my idea weight of 78.5kg (173lbs). Just a simple "Calorie" counting exercise might not be enough to get me all the way, but at least close enough resuming a hardcore exercise regime (jogging, biking, lifting and wall-climbing probably followed later by a resumption of caving). I figured I'd share my spread sheet, in case any of you might like to try the method yourself!

https://tinyurl.com/y9dqexsh

According to my "Harris Benedict" BMR calculations (which are terribly inaccurate methods, but relative to the alternatives just about the best available as far as I'm aware . . .) if I'm completely sedentary (like BED-RIDDEN sedentary) my BMR is ~1950, but if I'm only normally sedentary it is more like ~2300 kcal per day. At very active it is like 3300 kcal per day.

First day on the counting schedule, I only ate 1465 kcal!? :shock: and amazingly was NOT markedly hungry at any point during the day. Now granted I've developed the habit of chain-chewing sugarless gum so maybe that helps? Lots of zero caloric beverages might also help? A whole pack of "5" gum (15 pieces) would be 75 kcal, and I certainly don't chew THAT much per day . . . maybe 10 pieces per day? I guess I should keep track of that too, as it isn't actually zer kcal . . .

Also thread needs a theme song

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fat Bois
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:49 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Some time ago (probably about 6-7 years ago) my doctor told me after a physical that I needed to lose weight.

I found an app on my Iphone called "My Fitness Pal".
You can use this app to record your food an water intake.
What is good about it is that just about anything you eat that has been processed (from frozen dinners, to breakfast cereal, to packaged foods, etc) has calorie and nutrient information already logged into a massive database the app has. All you have to do us use your phone camera to scan the bar code on the package. You just scan the bar code and then input the the serving size that you have consumed. It calculates the total calories and other things like protein, carbs, various vitamins and nutrients, etc.

They also have in their database foods that you purchase at various restaurant chains (McDonalds, KFC, Olive Garden, etc). So you just enter the item name into the app.

You can also enter fruits and vegetables (ex. 1 granny smith apple, small).

You also input beverages (juice, pop, beer, water, etc).

If you make your food mostly from scratch you can input recipies and it will calculate the calories and nutrients.
If you have items that you eat consistently every day (for example, oatmeal or cereal for breakfast) those items will pop up for quick reference.

From the start you input your 'target weight', your starting weight, and IIRC the time period in which you want to reach your target weight. It will calculate your daily caloric goal.

The app will keep a running total so you know if you are on track for your daily goal, have some room left to snack on something, etc. At the end of the day you "complete" your day and it will give you your final results.

The app will also keep track of how many steps you took during the day and the calories you burned.
The app then deducts those calories burned from your calories eaten.

The app developer also has sister apps regarding various exercises (running, walking, biking, etc). You can even input things like 'lawn mowing, 30 minutes', and it will estimate the cals burned.
With the walking and biking app you open the app up, press the start button, and then when you are done with your walk or bike ride you hit STOP. The app calculates the distance you travelled, tracks your speed, and the calories you burned. It even has a GPS function built into it to calculate those distances.
And the great thing is that these different apps are all interlinked; so that when you finish your walk or bike ride, the calories burned automatically updates to the MyFitnessPal app.

I stuck to this thing religiously for about 2 to 2 1/2 yrs.
I am sad to say that I did little additional exercise during this time period.

That said, during the first year or so I managed to lose over 40 lbs, simply from tracking and controlling what I ate.
After the first year I stuck with using the app as a way to maintain my target weight.

I finally got to a point where I stopped using the app and then eventually put some of that weight back on.
But that does not take away from how well the app worked while I was using it.

The app is free but they do have some extra features that you can 'purchase'.

I found a couple videos on YT that provide you an overview of the app:

Whether you use this app or not, good luck on your weight loss journey.

I never bothered using a scale to weigh foods, but I did buy myself a measuring cup (2 cup size) to measure the quantity that I was putting onto my plate or into my bowl.

PS It is important to input EVERYTHING that they eat and drink.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1115
I gained quite a bit after I got my first real programming job. I'm 6' .5" and wound up reaching 250 lbs.

Last year, during my 11 month unemployment spell, I would get out and walk 5-8 miles every morning. Sometimes as much as 12.

I wound up losing about 55 lbs. I hadn't worn a size 38 in years, which was nice. The multicam my son sent me finally fit.

Now that I'm hired again, I gained 20 of it right back. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:10 am 
Sergeant Major

Oh sure, then your physiological data is dialed into the Chicoms hacking system and next thing you know! MIND cONTROL RAYS! :mrgreen:

But seriously that does sound pretty damn cool.

@Zad Fnark: yeah walking, huge! I can recall years back in college/grad school when I put on a bit of weight over the summer, and my 18 or 20 hour credit load would require ridiculous amounts of walking around campus: would definitely drop the pounds despite doing very little discrete "exercise" and working way too much . . .

For me I think it is the opposite as you: when I'm engaged with a formal occupation I lose weight, when I'm in 'freelance coasting along' mode I gain weight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:39 am 
Sergeant Major

First day: 1515 kcal
Second day: 2030 kcal . . . noticed the hunger quite a bit more
Third day: only up to 155 kcal and its already 8 hours into the day!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Estimated average total daily intake over the past 6 days: 1,737kcal. 89% of my estimated "bed-ridden" basal metabolism and 75% of my "sedentary." Feels like the brain and body are adjusting accordingly and I feel like I can keep this up for as long as it takes to get back to ideal weight!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18382
I lost 80 lbs using Fitday (basically the same at chi uses) These programs work great.

I was eating 90% of basal. Sounds like ur on the right track.

20 mins exercise too. Work it, professor :D Gotta move that ass!

Another thing I did it took 1 day off a week to eat what I wanted (w/in reason).

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Zad Fnark wrote:
I gained quite a bit after I got my first real programming job. I'm 6' .5" and wound up reaching 250 lbs.

Last year, during my 11 month unemployment spell, I would get out and walk 5-8 miles every morning. Sometimes as much as 12.

I wound up losing about 55 lbs. I hadn't worn a size 38 in years, which was nice. The multicam my son sent me finally fit.

Now that I'm hired again, I gained 20 of it right back. :(

Jesus...5-12 mile walk every day. That's a lot of damn walking. Well, 5 is not that much but 12 is. Probably had "buns of steel" too. (no pics please)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:20 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
At one stretch it's a good walk but during the shipping season which started just last week I'll walk 5 miles a day at work, just not all at one stretch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

I had to have a Nissen Fundoplication for my terrible reflux which was ruining my larynx (and wonderful singing voice).

I lost 18 pounds in about 5 weeks. i couldn't eat 1/3rd of what I was used to. I was starving. I had to buy candy bars to eat at work and eat by the clock because I couldn't tell when I was supposed to eat. 15 months later it is wearing off and and I started to gain weight and have more energy now and gaining muscle back.

The surgeon who did the surgery does mainly bariatric surgery on obese women. They had a veterinary scale in the floor of the clinic. I weighed in at 212 and the nurse says 'congratulations, you are the smallest patient today" :lol:

Profile E-mail