maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREXIT!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
jack t ripper wrote:
So the F-35 is going to be the strike aircraft AND the fighter...hmm.

If I am not mistaken the plane as 'strike aircraft and fighter' model has been the US Navy's system since the retirement of the A-6. They were initially replaced by the F-14D and then later by F/A Hornets and SuperHornets. The A-6s were phased out in the 1990s

IIRC the justification for that was "cost cutting".....servicing, maintaining, training for one model vs multiple models.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8527
NefariousKoel wrote:
Lava would be the one to ask about such things, having been a naval aviator. I'm not sure if the Navy really had anything termed a 'strategic bomber' though.

Let's start with wiki:

Quote:
Attack aircraft
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An attack aircraft, strike aircraft, or attack bomber, is a tactical military aircraft that has a primary role of carrying out airstrikes with greater precision than bombers, and is prepared to encounter strong low-level air defenses while pressing the attack.[1] This class of aircraft is designed mostly for close air support and naval air-to-surface missions, overlapping the tactical bomber mission. Designs dedicated to non-naval roles are often known as ground-attack aircraft.[2]

In the Navy we use the term "attack" aircraft, that is why Naval aircraft use an "a" in their designation. For example, the A-4, A-6 and F/A-18. We use the term "strike" normally to mean a coordinated attack of multiple aircraft. I do believe, however, that the term "strike" was also used in reference to a single attack aircraft delivering a nuclear bomb.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:10 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8527
chijohnaok wrote:
jack t ripper wrote:
So the F-35 is going to be the strike aircraft AND the fighter...hmm.

If I am not mistaken the plane as 'strike aircraft and fighter' model has been the US Navy's system since the retirement of the A-6. They were initially replaced by the F-14D and then later by F/A Hornets and SuperHornets. The A-6s were phased out in the 1990s

IIRC the justification for that was "cost cutting".....servicing, maintaining, training for one model vs multiple models.

The initial letter of the aircraft model is normally it's primary mission. So the F-35 is primarily a fighter aircraft. An "F/A" would be referred to as a fighter-bomber. Having said that, just about all fighters have a secondary mission of attack. The F-4, for example, dropped plenty of bombs just as the F-14 was pressed into service as well. With the advent of "smart bombs" I'm not sure we will see many "attack" aircraft in the future.

As far as the F/A-18 goes, after the end of the Cold War, and defense cuts, the Navy decided to get rid of pretty much all multi-seat aircraft. The E-2 and EA-6B were excluded. But the F-14, A-6 and S-3 were junked to cut cost. The Navy felt that an all F/A-18 Air Wing would meet current foreseeable low intensity warfare and that they would try to skip a generation focusing on R&D before buying new aircraft.

The F-35 is the result but it appears that it will be too expensive to equip the entire Navy and it looks like they will move with a high/low strategy of F-35s (high) and F/A-18s (low). Since the F/A-18 is pretty much past its service date, they are probably going to have to restart production of the F/A-18.

I've read a few things which seem to indicate that manufacturing and maintenance costs are going to be a big concern going forward. This would explain why the Trump administration is pressing ALL its allies to buy the F-35.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 5420
Lava wrote:
...administration is pressing ALL its allies to buy the F-35.

"ALL its allies", i.e. Great Britain. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14677
Quote:
... a high/low strategy of F-35s (high) and F/A-18s (low) ...

Is that "high/low" split in the altitude dimension or otherwise?

(I make no assumptions these days :) )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
wulfir wrote:
Lava wrote:

I'm sure if something actually happened all of Europe would come crying to Uncle Sam.

There's a thread on reddit about NATO right now where it seems that Europeans feel wholly entitled to Uncle Sam's protection while at the same time telling him to get fucked.

I see mdiehlios point. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
... it seems that Europeans feel wholly entitled to Uncle Sam ...

This is real, individual, walking in the street, yourOhs saying this ???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
EUBanana wrote:

I'm sure if something actually happened all of Europe would come crying to Uncle Sam.

There's a thread on reddit about NATO right now where it seems that Europeans feel wholly entitled to Uncle Sam's protection while at the same time telling him to get fucked.

I see mdiehlios point. :lol:

Do you have a link to that?

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
wulfir wrote:
Lava wrote:

Quite a few of the small Balkan and Baltic states have been pretty good friends to the U.S. haven't they? Maybe Taiwan, and of course Japan.

If one can tolerate the synthesis which the New York Times offered back in Feb of 2017, then the top allies, in the minds of Americans are:

Look at that! Sweden is #6 among Democrats and #10/12 among Republicans/Independents! You're not kicked out of the club . . . yet!

It is strange though that Japan is completely not on that list . . . probably just stupidity on the part of the survey.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
.. Balkan and Baltic states have been pretty good friends to the U.S ...
You mean they sent us lots of money !!?? :o

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next