maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hearts of Iron 4 Multi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Once Anthro and Zad get themselves familiarized with the mechanics of the game, we can set up a multi-player match and show them what “historic recreations” are like (says the man playing Italy who surrounded and destroyed 35 British divisons in Sudan. :lol: )

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17050
I was playing a game as Japan yesterday and I have to say the front line stuff was pretty sweet in that.

Had a series of amphibious invasions planned with it at the same time as a ground assault, it's nice seeing all the arrows lined up and then you just hit 'go' and watch the ass be kicked. I usually find that offensives bog down a bit so you tend to 'freeze' a front, tell them not to move, wait, plan, and when the time comes reactivate it with the hit of a button. It's pretty neat.

I worry that the new command mechanics make Grand Battle Plan overpowered. You can have Monty come up with a superpowered extra special plan in ridiculous time now, like a week or two with some command points. And that smash the enemy with whatever it is, +100% to attack power I think you can get from Grand Battle Plan? That seems pretty powerful given a week or two of not moving is nothign really. It used to be that the maximum planning strength for it was more theoretical than actual much of the time, as it took such a long time. Not any more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Back to the "Women's Day" topic....someone pointed the following out on the BICE DISCORD:

I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but here are the leadership stats for one of the Asian female leaders that were added into the vanilla game Tiger patch:

then here are the stats for Gerd von Rundstedt (one of the German Field Marshals):

I will grant you that Germany had some crappy commanders, but von Rundstedt was not one of the crappy ones....He was one of their top tier commanders.

I mean ffs.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:44 pm 
Sergeant Major

That's pretty retarded given it seems that Yoshiko Kawashima was a spy, apparently. So nothing to do with being in charge of anything.

Edited: apparently she commanded 5000 cavalry in Manchuria, so I guess thats the cavalry stat.

Poor old Rundstedt though. ;) In fairness I guess 3 is about average, it's not like she's shit hot. Guderian or Monty with 5s across the board.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16211
You guys have that Tiger DLC? Sounds questionable at this point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1115
I bought the whole package. It was on sale for $28, so it seemed worth it. Not sure what all the mods do yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Anthropoid wrote:
You guys have that Tiger DLC? Sounds questionable at this point.

Yeah.

It's actually good. It adds quite a lot of stuff.

The fantasy return of the Habsburgs, democratic Japan and the rest, I just don't use.

The Chinese civil war is actually pretty neat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Japan is quite cool now too. You can actually choose to support the army, or the navy, through the new decision system. Get bonuses to certain things in exchange for penalties to other things.

I suspect it makes Japan quite powerful given nobody else gets the ability to customise like this and 'balanced' is an option!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

EUBanana wrote:
Japan is quite cool now too. You can actually choose to support the army, or the navy, through the new decision system. Get bonuses to certain things in exchange for penalties to other things.

I suspect it makes Japan quite powerful given nobody else gets the ability to customise like this and 'balanced' is an option!

Quote:
You can actually choose to support the army, or the navy, through the new decision system.

That seemed to be a constant struggle for real life Japan during that time period, wasn't it? ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 1115
They took "interservice rivalry" to a whole new extreme.

Navy would never ship army troops anywhere, so Army had it's own fleet. No cooperation on radar research or even nuclear research with complete duplication of effort.

I started a game, but mostly running on autopilot to see how things play out. I took off the historical checks, so Switzerland is now dead. I guess the only way to learn is to watch shit happen.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next