maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 155  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shooting and Firearms
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13177
2018-02-25
1400-1700
40F
10 MPH SSW

Goals: .50BMG(32) at 100yds and 500yds

Environment: Big melt going on after a week of the thickest ice on the ground we've had. It was pretty dry before the ice, so we've had worse mud, but not in the past year.

Equipment: Barrett M099, 32 inch barrel. Spec-Rest tripod, turbodyne suppressor, Night Force ATACR 7-35x Tremor-3 F1, Ken Farrell custom 20 moa 21 inch base. 647gr API reloads. Shooter Ballistic Calculator.

Activity: Wanted to be able to see all the holes without having to walk to the targets, so setup white paper with purple 3/4 inch dots.

Setup at 100yds. Removed bipod to enable M-99 bipod chassis slot to slid over the front yoke on the tripod. This keeps the gun "in battery" on the tripod and transfers a lot more energy to the tripod.

Detailed Firing Cycle:

Bring bolt to the rear

Check that safety is on.

Check suppressor tightness.

Check tripod alignment and screw tightness for yoke mounts and master elevation knob.

Check scope, scope mount, base and raptar mount for tightness.

Place one round in the breech, all the way to the rear up against the bolt face.

Get on the gun in proper position and move the bolt forward, increasing the velocity of the forward motion of the bolt gradually until the velocity is significant as you reach the forward extent of the cycle (I dry fired practicing cycling the gun in the house 100+ times with dummy rounds learning how to load, etc.)

Close the bolt.

Get off the gun.

From the left side of the gun look thru the scope without touching the gun. If your cheek brushes the gun lightly, ok, but do not acheive cheek, stock weld puts too much muscle on the gun.

Adjust the tripod fine elevation knob to bring the elevation point of hold on to the target.

Read the mirage.

release the tripod deflection lock, pan to the point of desired deflection and lock that in.

Continue to adjust tripod elevation and deflection until they are exactly where you want them. This then is the natural position (NPA = Natural Point of Aim) for the weapons system for this shot.

Now engage the system with the shooter. I place my left hand on the tripod and my right hand on the trigger and the pistol grip as if I am fring a prescion rifle (for instance use Frank G.'s method or other as preferred).

Aim, by bringing the system back to the same NPA you locked in earlier.

Slowly squeeze the trigger. The break of the trigger MUST be a surprise.

After the round goes down range, eject the brass and leave the bolt to the rear.

Place the system on safe.

Move the elevation and deflection controls on the tripod to put the scope back on target to observe the fall of shot.

If zeroing, adjust the SCOPE elevation or windage knobs as indcated by the results.

Continue this process until done shooting current sequence.

==
So, I had to figure out the "double aiming" system, not doing that last weekend explained the "strange" results.

It is interesting how shooting the .50BMG(32) emphasizes many things you know you should do, but sometimes might hurry thru. WIth the .50BMG(32) you MUST do everything as precisely as possible or you will miss.

The NPA aiming process is not an option with this system.

Removing parallax while setting up at a new position is not an option.

Slow trigger squeeze and being surprised is not an option (i.e. avoid jerk).

Being tight up to the gun and directly behind the gun is not an option, to manage the recoil. This thing doesn't hurt, but it moves you back a few inches.

==
At 100yds, the first group was an attempt to work out the above "2-step" aiming process, which had never occured to me before, but as I did it, it made total sense.
The tripod comes with no instructions beyond assembly and lube, so you have to figure out how to mount your weapon and how to shoot with it. And that is fine.

Group 02 was a one mil down change on elevation.

Group 03 did not involve any elevation changes (beyond an initial 0.5 mil up change from group 02), windage only. First trying 2 clicks back and forth. Once I clicked the wrong way (hole out to the right). I finally got to the point where I was clicking back and forth one click and moving the POI just to the left and right of the dot.

After 13 rounds, I decided enough and I would try 500yds. So tear down, move and setup. Getting practice doing that.

At 500yds, the kestrel said 3 mph SSW. New Shooter app said 2.4 mils up. So I held .1 mils left and 2.4 mils up and followed the above process. Lock the tripod in on that setting without touching the gun, then get on the gun, to muscle it out of position and then muscle it back in. And BTW, we have to touch the gun because the tripod is not a hard hold. The "yokes" are rubber. So the shooter must participate in the recoil management.

First round was to the right (showing 3 5/8 in the pic).

I noted the migrage was laying flat over, so I called the wind at 10 MPH and held 0.5 mils left per Shooter. Second round was left.

Migrage said the wind had died, but I still felt some, back to .1 mil left hold.
There is some wobble as again this is not a bench rest. But I manage the wobble just like I do with the manfrottos. Put the center of the wobble on the POA.

Results: So 6.25 / (5 * 1.047) = 1.265 is the MOA group size. That's good enough for maybe 1,500 yards on 20x40 steel, if every thing was linear. Everything is not linear, so maybe really 1,000 ... so not good enough for the ELR comps I hope to attend this year, so more work to do!
I'd call it a 2 MOA setup for now with probably half of that being me.

Progress made working out how to shoot this setup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

2018-03-08
2030-2100
20F
5 MPH NE

Goal: Setup ir-illum and radius on 5.56(18)

Environment: Low wind finally, clear skies, Orion visible to the South. I was able to catch the Orion Nebula (in the sword) ... that's one thing NV can do that Thermal cannot do is serve as an ersatz star-gazing telescope.

Equipment 5.56(18) with Burris xtr2 3-15x scr-mil. Radius. Luna ELIR-3. PVS-30, M055, 322RC2.

Activity: Went out and set up the tripod in the center of the building area. Was able to get the sword of Orion in the scope at 15x ... Looking at the mineral feeder at 435yds, there was a lot of scintillation, so I cranked down on the gain on the 30. That cleared up the image. Again focusing the 30 is easier than the UTC due to the knobs that stick out from the focus ring.
I could not see into the alfalfa patch, ambient light bouncing off the trees along the creek bank obscured the alfalfa patch. With the thermal I see right thru the tree line over to the treeline on the other side of the alfalfa patch at 572 yds, but not with the 30.
I co-witnessed the ir-illuminator using the farthest thing I could see (on the ground) the mineral feeder at 435yds. But illuminator does not help see through the trees, it increases the washout along tree lines. It will help see items in the open or in shadows.
The co-witnesses the viz-laser in the radius and was able to range a few know distance items.
This setup is now ready for the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

2018-03-10/11
2200-0200
20F

Goal: Team night walk

Environment: The property was about 400 meters wide by 800 meters long. There was a hill in the center of the property. The land was very rough with large boulders, gullies, fallen trees and the woods where thick with lots of close interlocking branches. There was a rough "road" thru the property. This was a no moon night as moon rise would happen at 3am after our scheduled stop time.

Equipment: I had PVS-14 and IR-Patrol on Helmet and 5.56(10.3) with Mk3 60mm. Also had pack with water bladder, protein bars, first aid kit. Had USGI compass and pace beads on outside gear.

Blue had two 4 man teams and Red had one 4 man team. Red would be setup in a camp in roughly the middle of the property near the North side of the top of the hill.
Blue Team 01 rode in a vehicle to the South end of the property. BLue Team 02 would move on foot from the North end of the property.
IIRC 8 people had at least one PVS-14. The two blue team had 2 thermals for each team (4 total) and the Red team had one thermal. 4 people had no helmet mounted NODs.

We all had USGI BFA on our weapons and no ammo.
Each Team leader had a radio.
The Team leads all had some land nav and comms experience.

Activity:

After an initial safety briefing, we split up into team and performed a practice walk. We walked about 100 meters up hill along with road, then the various team split up and went into the woods for about another 100 meters. This got us used to moving and communicating in teams.
We then returned to base.

The OPFOR team (Red) were also the referees. They gave each team lead their orders and then there was some planning time. Our team had a map and plotted out our planned route.
I would start out as tail end charlie (#4) and would be doing 360s periodically. The team would pause if needed to let me catch up. I gave my carbine + mk3 to #3 ... the team leader was #2 ... and point was #1.
The second thermal with #3 would enable the team lead, who only had 1xPVS-14 to quickly request a thermal check of a given area. I would be able to continue to check flanks and rear or help double check and area of interest.

Team 2s start point was the North center of the property. We would to march to a point designated as "OP" in the center East side of the property. Then "link up" with team 01. Locate the enemy camp, then coordinate an assault.

We worked out the planned line of march within our team and passwords, etc. with the other team. Team #2 and the OPFOR team then departed in a vehicle.

Our team started out on foot. The team leader called a halt quickly as the radio was not working, so everyone when down in kneeling/holding position in 360 coverage. After working with the radio and changing the batteries, we then resumed our march. We were going up a steep gully full of big boulders, trees and branches. It was slow going. #3 and #4 were supposed to be counting beads but it was tough in this terrain. We took frequent listening breaks. We hydrated and I did more 360s to make sure no critters were visible. After about 175 meters, the team leader did a longer halt, checked the map, did a radio check with the other team, asked for our bead counts (I had 1 but was thinking of clicking the second #3 had 2). Then we departed from the large gully and headed NE into the woods. The woods were thick with overlapping branches, lots of downed trees and branches and lots of boulders big and small. Big like the size of a person, small like the size of a foot ball. I continued to do as many 360s as I could. I expected the OPFOR to not be in the camp, but instead to be out trying to sneak up on our flanks and rear, so I was checking that out as much as possible.
At some point, we could see the top of the hill, due to some ambient light (another house on another property) on the other side of the hill. The team lead then changed the order of march, I was now #1 and the former point was now #4. Presumably, contact was expected and my helmet mounted thermal would be able to detect earliest. So I requested direction of march and got a point. Started moving. Selecting the route thru the trees, branches, down trees/branches boulders took most of my attention, but I stopped and did 90 degree forward scans every few steps. Eventually, I detected a critter and went down. The other critter went down also and I knew we were dealing with humans. I told the team lead we had one human to our front at about 20 meters. I continued to watch the human, the TL got on the radio. The human started waving, I told the team lead. After more radio chatter, the TL rose up and headed towards the human. another human rose up and headed towards the team lead. I could then see 3 humans from another team.
#3 and #4 from our team had closed up and I let them know what was happening. I asked #3 to check flanks and rear with thermal. Eventually our TL waved us forward and I told #3 and #4 TL was calling us forward and we should move now.
We did and the link up was completed. Team two then proceeded almost directly North from the link up position and I quickly saw "something" due West so we went down again. I was looking under a downed tree and saw definite critter.
I then looked over the top of the tree and saw two humans and a fire, very clearly.
The critter under the tree was something else.
So TL called Tm 01 and then told me to advance directly towards the camp. I did, except I found a path where LOS was blocked by numerous trees close to the LOS saw followed that path. As soon as we started moving a hawk flew up from its meal (probably rat) and screeched and later during AAR everyone said they heard it. Camp was 50 yds. We advanced half that distance then halted, them both team leads called for the assault and we went on line and advanced while shouting "bang bang" ... I got to about 10yds and saw one human roll off the top of a huge boulder and crash to the ground ... very realistic looking!
When were then on the objective and the exercise was over. It turned out the TL#1 had fallen off the back side of a giant boulder by mistake. I had assumed it was part of the simulation but it was a real fall. Fortunately, he was not injured, beyond some scrapes.
We then lined up and marched back out of the woods in our three teams and back to the start point. About 300 meters?
We then did AAR. OPFOR said they could not hear us moving thru the woods. They saw us with their thermal (EO Tech 320) before they heard us. That was most surprising as We thought we were making huge amounts of crashing noise in the woods.
My usual shooting buddy James, was point on Team #1 when it turned out, I was point for team #2 and we both worked out that we saw each other and the same time and both went down at the same time. He was the one I saw waving.
Team #1 had been able to walk to the link up position from the vehicle debark point down the "road" so they never had to crash thru the woods except during the assault, whereas my team spent a solid 90m moving uphill thru the woods.

Results/Summary: Besides Hog hunting, this is the first time I have done a night exercise with >2 people with NV/thermal. So, it was very interesting seeing three groups of 4 trying to coordinate their activities. And I have to say it was largely successful.
The main issue I saw was intra-team comms. Our TL was trying to talk very quietly. My balaklava was preventing my hearing 80% of his words, so I had to deduce. I probably got about 60% from gestures or explicit hand signals, but not all of it. Having a second intrateam radio net with everyone having headsets etc. would solve this issue.
The first guy we had on point did an amazing job feeling his way through the woods as he had no NODs. Our #3 had no NOD on head, but he had my 60mm thermal, so he could see well when we were halted, but not so well when we were moving. We all deployed cats eyes on our rear facing equipment to help team mates see man in front of them.
The frequent listening breaks let me hydrate and catch my breadth. I was surprised I did not get exhausted to the point of issue during the exercise, I left my 20s behind more than 3 weeks ago!
James had 2xPVS14 and a COTI on his head and a PATROL on his carbine. He had an issue with the COTI mount. He also decided to stow the 14 + COTI in his bag about 2/3rds of the way thru the exercise to give him more peripheral vision. Perhaps I should've done that, but I wanted the thermal up there to detect.
Team #1 were in position and stationary when he/I spotted each other and he was scanning with patrol on carbine. We spotted each other with our patrols.
None of my team members fell, despite the rough terrain. In walking around in my woods which are similar, I've developed the technique of holding on to branches to keep me upright. I can tell by how the branches bend how much weight they can bear, do not have to see them. And this helped me a lot especially when I was point.
Also, when pushing way through entertwined branches I turn around and push thru with my back, this is easier and branches aren't scrapping my face.
It was an interesting exercise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 pm 
Sergeant Major

For the first time evah I was able to download still images from an OASYS core device!

These are from the above night walk, from the patrol on my head.

==

Teams in the prep area

==

Blue Team 2 (my team) heading out in order of March, Point (#1), Team Lead with radio (#2), #3 with my mk3 60mm and I am #4 taking the pic.

==

Back at base chatting after the exercise

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm 
Oppressive Tyrant and Enemy of Truth

Reputation points: 15843
The ten meter range at Joe's place

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

2018-03-18
1200-1500
50F
10 MPF ESE

Goals: 6.5G(18) rezero

Environment: Overcast, small amount of mirage during most of zeroing, then a ton of mirage showed up. Mirage is good and bad. Wind was highly variable in direction and intensity.

Equipment: 6.5G(18), NF 7-35x Tremor-3, 123 AMAX, Bushy AE 1600

Activity: Setup at 91 meters and ran 5 rds off the tripod with the magnetospeed. The avg speed was 2422 with SD 12. Previous 5 rds was 2413 SD 12.5 So I split the difference with 2417 and SD 12.2.
Then zeroed at 100yds prone.

Then went to 500yds (known distance). Throwing dirt up in the high for wind direction. First it blew from 90 off the bullet path. Later it blew from 180 off the bullet path and after that the dirt went straight up and came straight down.
The mirage was boiling.
The orange dots I put in the center of the paper target were jumping around 0.2 mil in the reticle in all directions.
The wind was highly variable in direction and intensity.
AB said 3.7 up and I guess 0.2 right for wind.

First 5 rd group at the paper. Elevation is decent, but wind stringing me out.

Then 5 rd group at the steel. I remembered to paint it first.

Then went to 663 meters (unknown distance lased with Bushy). That's 725yds. AB said up 7.3. Krestrel said 5.5 MPH from 90 degrees off the bullet path or 0.6 right.

I could not see the target prone so switched to tripod sitting.

The mirage was still bad.

First round the dust was a few inches left and high. I reduced wind hold by .2 and elevation hold by .2 (5 inches) I'm shooting down hill but not sure by how much, but probably enough to make me a little high.

Second rd was hit, repeated, third rd was hit.

Results/Summary: The NF sure is good at seeing the mirage !!! Mirage is good as it gives you a good read on the wind. Mirage is bad because is makes the target jump around and it makes the target fuzzy. Backing off on the magnification reduces the fuzzy a bit. I think I read messing with the parallax can reduce the jumping around, but I messed with the parallax and I didn't see the jumping around stop. Will go hunt for those words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Citi (Citibank) has posted the following on their corporate website:

Quote:
Announcing Our U.S. Commercial Firearms Policy

By Ed Skyler, Executive Vice President, Global Public Affairs, Citi
MARCH 22, 2018 11:30 AM

For too many years, in too many places, our country has seen acts of gun violence that have resulted in heartbreaking losses. We are all too familiar with them and there is no need to recount them here.

Over the same amount of time, we have waited for our grief to turn into action and see our nation adopt common-sense measures that would help prevent firearms from getting into the wrong hands. That action has sadly never come and as the weeks pass after the most recent mass shooting, it appears we are stuck in the same cycle of tragedy and inaction.

As a society, we all know that something needs to change. And as a company, we feel we must do our part.

Today, our CEO announced Citi is instituting a new U.S. Commercial Firearms Policy. It is not centered on an ideological mission to rid the world of firearms. That is not what we seek. There are millions of Americans who use firearms for recreational and other legitimate purposes, and we respect their Constitutional right to do so.

But we want to do our part as a company to prevent firearms from getting into the wrong hands. So our new policy centers around current firearms sales best practices that will guide those we do business with as a firm.

Under this new policy, we will require new retail sector clients or partners to adhere to these best practices: (1) they don’t sell firearms to someone who hasn’t passed a background check, (2) they restrict the sale of firearms for individuals under 21 years of age, and (3) they don’t sell bump stocks or high-capacity magazines. This policy will apply across the firm, including to small business, commercial and institutional clients, as well as credit card partners, whether co-brand or private label. It doesn't impact the ability of consumers to use their Citi cards at merchants of their choice.

We know our clients also care about these issues and we have begun to engage with them in the hope that they will adopt these best practices over the coming months. If they opt not to, we will respect their decision and work with them to transition their business away from Citi.

We have few relationships with companies that manufacture firearms. For those that do, we will be initiating due diligence conversations on the subject to better understand what products they make, what markets and retailers they sell to and what sales practices those retailers follow to ensure adherence to the best practices outlined above. This same due diligence screening will apply to potential clients going forward.

These common-sense sales practices already have widespread public support according to recent polling and they are easy to implement. Some, like Walmart, have gone even further.

We recognize that we don’t have all the answers and that existing technology in our industry doesn’t allow for a more targeted approach at points of sale. For that reason, we would like to convene those in the financial services industry and other stakeholders to tackle these challenges together and see what we can do. This approach has worked well in areas such as sustainability, where the Equator Principles ushered in a new era of environmentally and socially responsible financing practices. We hope to leverage collective action to encourage responsible practices by all who sell firearms. As best practices evolve, we will update our policies accordingly.

We know that the actions we are taking today will invite passion on both sides. We don’t have the perfect solution but we have come to the conclusion that we must do our part to keep guns out of the hands of those who wish to do harm. And we hope our actions help achieve that vital goal.

It sounds as I feel Citi is going to see if it can get other banks/credit card companies to join it in this stance.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

haha ... not enforceable ... big banks are like big fish ... the big fish eat the small big fish .. the small big fish eat the large medium fish ... the large medium fish eat the regular medium fish ...
Actually the money flows the other way ... but the hierarchy is the same ... I used to work in bank and my job was to invest our "spare" funds (up to a percent limit of total) each day by 2pm in "overnight repurchase agreements" with the big banks in NY ... which ever had the best rate that hour ... so citibank has corporate customers and they want to tell them what to do ... and those customers have customers and those customers have customers ... is it ok with citi if a customer's customer does the prohibited things?
If not, citi would be virtually saying "no bank can have a corporate customer who allows any corporate customer to do these things". And this is because citi customers and customers customers on down the line probably include every bank in the country and hence every business in the country. I think they know that.

But the army of people required to implement that idea would be impossible to fund ...

So, from where I sit, this sounds like a "feel good" noise ... rather than a practical idea ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

jwilkerson wrote:
haha ... not enforceable ... big banks are like big fish ... the big fish eat the small big fish .. the small big fish eat the large medium fish ... the large medium fish eat the regular medium fish ...
Actually the money flows the other way ... but the hierarchy is the same ... I used to work in bank and my job was to invest our "spare" funds (up to a percent limit of total) each day by 2pm in "overnight repurchase agreements" with the big banks in NY ... which ever had the best rate that hour ... so citibank has corporate customers and they want to tell them what to do ... and those customers have customers and those customers have customers ... is it ok with citi if a customer's customer does the prohibited things?
If not, citi would be virtually saying "no bank can have a corporate customer who allows any corporate customer to do these things". And this is because citi customers and customers customers on down the line probably include every bank in the country and hence every business in the country. I think they know that.

But the army of people required to implement that idea would be impossible to fund ...

So, from where I sit, this sounds like a "feel good" noise ... rather than a practical idea ...

To a certain extent it is a "feel good" move but it does also have consequences.

I think where this would have the biggest impact is on business lending, along with merchant/credit card finance.
Smaller manufacturers and many gun shops are dependent on lines of credit in order to conduct their daily business.
Cut off their credit supply and many of these businesses would close within weeks or months.
And sure there are tons of banks out there but not every bank out there does business lending, lines of credit, etc.

So Citi would not need to convince every bank to follow along with their idea, merely the largest ones that conduct business lending and merchant/credit card finance.

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/bus ... protection

Quote:
Remington seeks bankruptcy protection as gun sales appear to continue decline

Remington, a company that began making flintlock rifles when there were only 19 United States, has filed for bankruptcy protection.

Mounting debts at the arms manufacturer have snowballed, ironically, since the election of Donald Trump, who has called himself a "true friend" to the gun industry.

Remington, which as roots dating to 1816, has lined up $100 million with lenders to continue operations. It remains unclear what will happen to its 3,500 or so employees as it reorganizes.

Panic sales that drove revenue for gun makers ever higher evaporated with Trump's arrival in the White House. Fading sales and Remington's production of one of the most well-known weapons in the world, the Bushmaster AR-15, have overwhelmed the Madison, North Carolina, company.

Late Sunday, according to records from the bankruptcy court of the district of Delaware, Remington Outdoor Co. agreed to a prepackaged deal that would give holders of the company's $550 million term loan an 82.5 percent stake, according to a release.

Continued at above link

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 155  Next