TV, Movies, videos, youtube

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti, reinald

Forum rules
Trolls will feel the wrath of Kam
abradley
buck private

Bob Roberts (1992)

#1 Post by abradley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm

A movie made by a liberal for liberals that backfires.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2010
Film Friday: Bob Roberts (1992)
In the spirit of the upcoming election, I thought I’d do something you never thought I would. . . I’m going to recommend a movie written by, staring, and directed by Tim Robbins. This is another one of those richly ironic films where an über-leftist tries to expose the “evil right wing” and ends up exposing his own side. It’s also a very entertaining film.

** spoiler alert **

Bob Roberts is the fictional story of Bob Roberts, a candidate for the United States Senate in Pennsylvania. It’s told in a documentary style, but remains very film-quality. Roberts (Tim Robbins) and his mysterious campaign manager (Alan Rickman) manipulate the press, slander their opponent, enter into shady deals, encourage cult-like followers, and dodge an obsessed “journalist” (Giancarlo Esposito) who investigates the truth about Roberts’ mysterious dealings. That truth appears to be that Roberts is a Manchurian candidate of military contractors and the C.I.A., who are secretly funding his campaign. No dirty trick is too low for this campaign.

So why in the world would I recommend this film? Well, for one thing, it really is quite a good film. It’s well shot, well paced, and all around entertaining. For another, the film boomerangs on its leftist intent. Here are some examples:

(Continued)
http://commentaramafilms.blogspot.com/2 ... 92_22.html
Posted by Keld Denar
+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... D-2-5-What

sven
Staff Sergeant

Re: Bob Roberts (1992)

#2 Post by sven » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

"I want to live, chances are I will"

Nemo me impune lacessit.

mdiehl
Sergeant Major

#3 Post by mdiehl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm

That 'review' is of the form "Black is white. Up is down. Your chocolate rations have been increased from 3 oz to 2."
"Fuck the king." - Sandor Clegane
"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits
'Our father, which art in heaven..' "May he fucking stay there." - Al Swearengen, Deadwood

sven
Staff Sergeant

#4 Post by sven » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

mdiehl wrote:That 'review' is of the form "Black is white. Up is down. Your chocolate rations have been increased from 3 oz to 2."

Not really, I saw a lot of the liberal hysteria in Bob Roberts more properly applied to the Kult of Urkle for example....

if you have a GOP equivalent I am quite literally dying to see it.....

it belies the attempted false equivalency at Andy's link between Urkle and the Sarahcuda....

Urkle demanded a half hour sermon with school kids twice early on....it pissed parents off.

The North Korean band director there was a nice touch.
Nemo me impune lacessit.