maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Morrowind ... My way.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17300
Morrowind was/is a great game. I loved my mage who could levitate and fire explosive fireballs. He could also take the edge off of tough guys by reducing their strength, so they would be encumbered by their weapons and armor :lol:

I will never ever forget one of the very very early game encounters-
a guy with a pointy wizard hat falling from the sky :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Yeah, my crashing was with Oblivion. I wondered why the graphics didn't look too great.

I didn't play Morrowind much, as it had BethSoft's usual lack of widescreen Field of View which gives me a headache and nausea after about 45 minutes. At the time, I didn't know what it was that did it.. so I didn't realize there might have been a simple text edit to increase the FOV to a more natural setting for a monitor.. as opposed to a TV across the room that they have it set to. This is my biggest complaint about console games being ported back to PC, as many devs just don't bother raising the FOV back up, and fairly often it's impossible to mod in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:22 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 12603
NefariousKoel wrote:
Yeah, my crashing was with Oblivion. I wondered why the graphics didn't look too great.

I didn't play Morrowind much, as it had BethSoft's usual lack of widescreen Field of View
which gives me a headache and nausea after about 45 minutes. At the time, I didn't know what it was that did it.. so I didn't realize there might have been a simple text edit to increase the FOV to a more natural setting for a monitor.. as opposed to a TV across the room that they have it set to. This is my biggest complaint about console games being ported back to PC, as many devs just don't bother raising the FOV back up, and fairly often it's impossible to mod in.
MGE (Morrowind Graphic Extender) http://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 17757

I didn't play Morrowind much, as it had BethSoft's usual lack of widescreen Field of View which gives me a headache and nausea after about 45 minutes. At the time, I didn't know what it was that did it.. so I didn't realize there might have been a simple text edit to increase the FOV to a more natural setting for a monitor.. as opposed to a TV across the room that they have it set to. This is my biggest complaint about console games being ported back to PC, as many devs just don't bother raising the FOV back up, and fairly often it's impossible to mod in.

Or you could stop acting like a bitch and get a xbox ;)

This post was prepared by C_S as a service to the Internet community. It is intended, but not promised nor guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date. Do not act or rely on any of this information without first seeking the advice of an attorney

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:35 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
I'd never buy a console these days. I can still opt to play the same three shitty games, they keep remaking for consoles, on my PC. I generally don't even both with those annoying rehashes. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:05 pm 
buck private

Black Brad headed back to Balmora Mage's guild for some rest plus dumping looted equipment to keep his weight down.

After a solid 6 hour sleep he felt up to another trip to Assarmatat shrine, he was short a few Short Sword points and figured one more trip would bring him up to a level up situation. So after his sleep he trekked back to the shrine and battled some more nasties, a Golden Saint, Winged Twilight, Storm Atronach, and a Scamp. The Golden Saint is the most powerful at lvl 20 to Black Brad's lvl 16. The rest are not too difficult as long as they're not bunched up, Brad has fought 3 at once and won by first taking out the heavy hitter, then the other two one at a time all the while drinking restore health potions as needed.

He has visited the shrine 7 times for training, lost twice (no saving and reloading during battles) He lost those two because someone wasn't watching his back.

Once back in Balmora Black Brad goes to Nine Toes for two training secessions in Athletics which allows him to level up to level 17 by taking a short sleep.

Since he has been at Lvl 16 he's trained Light Armor (Agility) and Short Sword (Speed) the equivalent of 10 training secessions so he gets the full 5 point advance in each plus he selects Luck for it's 1 point (Max per level up)

Attachments:
Storm Atronach.jpg
Storm Atronach.jpg [ 50.66 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]
Winged Twilight.jpg
Winged Twilight.jpg [ 57.83 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]
Lvl 17 level up.jpg
Lvl 17 level up.jpg [ 75.37 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:41 pm 
buck private

It's about time for me to explain what 'Morrowind ... My way.' is.

I've a few mods in my game that changes a lot of the play, for example Black Brad slept 6 hours, that's because of the 'NOM mod' (Necessities of Morrowind). Black Brad has to sleep, eat, and drink every day or he suffers losses in his abilities. Then there's the 'Gameplay_Factions mod' from the 'Wakims Game Improvement mod':
Quote:
A gameplay realism enhancer. Guilds and Houses are now a touch fussier about just who they let in, and who they let advance. Originally Morrowind had all stat requirements for guilds and houses set to a maximum of 35 (i.e. to be the arch-mage of Vvardenfall you only needed an Intelligence and Willpower of 35). This is actually below the starting statistics of most level 1 characters, and was hence meaningless.

Now the guilds and some houses will be more stringent in their requirements. Some guilds will refuse membership to you if you appear unqualified (i.e. the Fighter's Guild will not even consider membership to those below 40 strength - weaklings need not apply here). Some Houses (Telvanni) are now more exclusive (as advertised in countless in-game appearing books and references) and will later actually require you to be proficient in magic before they grant such titles as Wizard. Some guilds are not very fussy (i.e. the Morag Tong and the Thieves Guild) and are more concerned about whether or not you just "get the job done". Some guilds will sign you up easily enough (Mages), but do expect you to develop more appropriate abilities, skills, and statistics over time.
plus they are more critical about who can use their services.

And there's the 'Taddeus Balanced Alchemy, Armor, Enchanting, Items, Weapons Mods'

So when Black Brad arrives his abilities look like the first picture and is pretty weak, but now looks like the second and goes toe to toe with Golden Saints.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taddeus' Balanced Mods
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=7393

NoM 3 (Necessities of Morrowind)
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=8707

Wakims Game Improvements (I only used the Gameplay_Factions and Dialogue)
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=1277

The Bethesda Official plugs (excepting 'Area effect Arrows, it's included in the Taddeus mods)
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Official_Plug-ins

But before I apply those mods I follow this page for graphic improvements and information on installing from stream and in Win 7 plus plain ol'XP for guys like me
Let's reinstall Morrowind
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... genumber=1

Attachments:
Black Brad the Luckless arrives3.JPG
Black Brad the Luckless arrives3.JPG [ 89.74 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]
Black Brad Lvl 17.JPG
Black Brad Lvl 17.JPG [ 105.96 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 pm 
buck private

Back to Morroind, EU 3 and 4 are too much like school work for the old fart, love the idea, wanted to see if Spain could be saved during the 1500-1800 era.

Why Morrowind?
Quote:
Admittedly flawed, extremely dated, undisputedly a masterpiece.
Shodex | March 30, 2014 | See all Shodex's reviews »

It's 2014 at the time of writing, Morrowind is an old game. It's seen two sequels, Oblivion and Skyrim. But despite the huge financial success of it's successors, Morrowind is still the reigning champion of The Elder Scrolls franchise.

Morrowind thrusts you into the island of Vvardenfell, homeland of the Dunmer (Dark Elves), an otherworldly and mysterious world ripe for exploration. You begin your journey in a small village named Seyda Neen in the boggy Bitter Coast, your first quest see's you headed to the city of Balmora. On your trip you'll head through the Ascadian Isles and see giant mushrooms tower above the trees, jellyfish like creates float through the sky, among all other mannerisms of deliciously bizarre scenery.

The Elder Scrolls doesn't need an introduction, you know the basics of the gameplay. You adventure around a huge game world, going as you please and making a name for yourself as a hero. But if you're coming from Skyrim or Oblivion, your road to legendary won't be so easily walked this time. Morrowind is much more in depth and challenging, combat has more in common with D&D dice rolls than the action combat of the sequels. If you want to just jump in and have some fun without worry Morrowind simply isn't for you.

If you're a patient RPG enthusiast who loves learning interesting lore, exploring every nook and cranny, casting a wide range of spells, and using all sorts of weapons, Morrowind is an unmatched experience. And like Oblivion and Skyrim after it, Morrowind's mod support is phenomenal. Though sadly at time of writing many old mod sites have since gone down and disappeared, but there are still more than enough mods to be found online to expand your playtime or just make the game a little less dated.

Morrowind can be painfully slow in the early portions of the game, it's old and it shows it, but even through all it's dust the pure gold shines brightly. This is a game that all hardcore RPG fans must play.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14845
Morrowind is best savored inebriated

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm 
buck private

Anthropoid wrote:
Morrowind is best savored inebriated
NEVER, it's an old man's answer to old age. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next