maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Morrowind ... My way.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:46 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9282
Mr Abradley is busy, please standby until he's free.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9762
OK...that is a beautiful soundtrack. And I did not realize the overlap between Morrowin and Skrim. What I learned here is that Skyrim was built on Morrowind el al.

I fully admit that. Done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:17 pm 
buck private

11Bravo wrote:
OK...that is a beautiful soundtrack. And I did not realize the overlap between Morrowin and Skrim. What I learned here is that Skyrim was built on Morrowind el al.

I fully admit that. Done.
:cry: My hero is leaving :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:50 pm 
Staff Sergeant

:lol:

OK...Busy modding Skyrim for another go! Up to 300ish mods now installed...will go through a week of testing for stability, then pull the trigger. This thread will be the perfect place for my AAR. If only I knew how to make a youtube video... :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 pm 
buck private

11Bravo wrote:

OK...Busy modding Skyrim for another go! Up to 300ish mods now installed...will go through a week of testing for stability, then pull the trigger. This thread will be the perfect place for my AAR. If only I knew how to make a youtube video... :(
Check with the 'Nefarious one', he knows how to do everything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:18 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14050
abradley wrote:
11Bravo wrote:

Check with the 'Nefarious one', he knows how to do everything.

I made a thread for it here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17291

Not an expert, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out the basics when I did a few. That lists the essentials.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:58 pm 
buck private

Quote:
British Researcher Picks Exactly the Wrong Video Game to Push Her White Privilege Theories
by Moe Lane
July 24, 2015 - 9:06 pm

Here is the background: National Review came across a Ms. Victoria Cooper, who wrote a paper called Playing Politics: Exploring Nationalism and Conservatism in Fantasy Video Games. It is… well, like many papers of this type, it reads like the conclusion (white people play games to reinforce their white privilege, when they’re not just outright racists) was decided upon first, and only then was the data supporting that conclusion assembled. This is both expected, and not really relevant in the long term (the vast majority of scholarship these days typically ends up gasping out its life in a narrow, dusty room); what was unexpected was that apparently a large part of Ms. Cooper’s work revolves around her interpretation of Bethesda Softworks’ Elder Scrolls series. Specifically, Skyrim. The relevant bits:

Video Games and Medieval History: The Elder Scrolls – Skyrim

Skyrim is a massively popular medieval-themed video game. Part of the greater Elder Scrolls video game series, Skyrim was released in 2011 by Bethesda Game Studios and was a critical success. Cooper’s thesis focused on this game and the way players transpose their heritage and national identity onto the fictitious races of its gaming world. Skyrim is home to the Nords (Stormcloaks), a pseudo-Viking race. Tall, fair-haired, and pale, they are a sea-faring warrior society that values honour, family and glory.

…Cooper suggests that, ‘medievally-themed video games are a space where whiteness can be anchored, in a “happy history” where a world is free of multiculturalism and white guilt’.

Full disclosure: I am not a PhD candidate. What I am, though, is somebody who has logged over 2,500 hours in Skyrim, so I think that I can safely make observations about the basic game. And it would be my suggestion to Ms. Cooper that she find a different example for white people using a game for a safe space from “multiculturalism and white guilt” than Skyrim. Anybody who plays the game past, say, the introduction knows that one major theme of the game is the Skyrim Civil War. In fact, the game cannot be finished without first resolving the Skyrim Civil War. And the Skyrim Civil War is explicitly couched as being the cosmopolitan, inclusive Empire of Tamriel against the racist, xenophobic Nordic Stormcloaks. Literally the first thing the player sees when he or she enters Windhelm (the Stormcloak’s capital city) for the first time is a mob harassing a Dark Elf over her skin color and refugee status. In short: if you’re looking for a game world “free of multiculturalism and white guilt,” don’t play Skyrim.

(Continued)
http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/07/24 ... -theory/2/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:17 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14050
I've been wanting to fire up Skyrim again soon. But I'm thinking of doing either Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, from same.

Love the open world gameplay but their first-person views, which was created to be seen on a big screen tv across the room via Console, gives me severe headache & nausea after about 15-20 minutes. Likely from the ground looking WAY too close, and therefore moving by too fast compared to everything else in that first-person view.

There is a text edit that can shoehorn an automatic FOV-widening fix that can extend the amount of time I can play before that starts to kick in, but it's still ever-present to some extent. :x Will need to experiment and find the best FOV setting again - it's been awhile.

Despite supporting an in-game console command (fov ##) to change it, these damn games reset to their regular claustrophobic 55 degree FOV every time you enter a new zone. So modders suggest adding this command to your 'W' hotkey script, in the appropriate config file, so it is always telling it to set your FOV to whatever you want (I went with ~85 or 90 IIRC) when you're holding down the move key. Weird way to go about it, but that saved me from needing to repeatedly enter FOV 90.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 am 
buck private

Here's a twist, play Morrowind as a pacifist.

https://icehair.wordpress.com/morrowind ... haracters/

For Skyrim

Just shows how versatile the games are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Wow, cool. That would be a huge challenge.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next