It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: WH40k DoW II review
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 11382
Am a fan of the WH40k turn based games but not too happy with real time. Never have had fast reflexes.
Also like a 'Wargame' that's based on complete fiction or is played with generic units.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Review

Extraordinary online play makes it easy to overlook this strategy sequel's less-impressive single-player campaign.
GameSpot Score: 8.5
Pros: Fun, exciting online play will keep you under its spell • Fantastic production values • The loot collecting is fun and addictive • Co-op play lets a buddy join your campaign in progress
Cons: Campaign doesn't feature much strategy • Few multiplayer maps • Only 1 vs. 1 and 3 vs. 3 matches

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is a fun and fascinating game with a bit of an identity crisis. In one corner you have an explosively intense multiplayer real-time strategy experience, brimming with savagely satisfying competition. In the other, you have an odd and somewhat enjoyable single-player campaign that plays more like an action role-playing game than an RTS. The relationship between these two disparate entities is superficial; the structure and gameplay of the campaign has little in common with that of your skirmishes against other players or the computer. It's a bizarre dichotomy that doesn't always work, but online play is so deeply rewarding that the scattered campaign missteps are easily forgiven.
(Continued)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: WH40k DoW II review
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:12 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14675
I think the reviewer is being a bit of a nermal. The big thing about DOW2 is - no base building. This seems to have struck the reviewer for six, although there are other RTS games that do not have base building (I'm thinking Ground Control or Starship Troopers here), just not very many. The whole squad management thing sounds very much like Ground Control, or Starship Troopers, as well.

It certainly doesn't mean no strategy as this guy seems to imply, or that by dint of that its an action RPG.

He seems to recognise this is fun and at least as interesting regarding multiplayer games, though.

I think this'll be a hit personally, I plan on buying it. When I got it I'll chalk up my own review on here maybe. Big fan of DoW1 - and I liked Ground Control back in the day, too. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 3144
What? No WWII tank battles?

Yawn.... :lol:

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:37 am 
Sergeant Major