maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: World War One
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 3144
EUBanana wrote:
Its not a PoS. It rocks.

I am EUBanana and I approve of this game.

Is the combat all abstracted like in BOA? You just move armies around to different regions and when they meet, the game tells you what happened?

Or do you drop down to a tactical battle like the TW series?

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16550
AngryOldMan wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
Its not a PoS. It rocks.

I am EUBanana and I approve of this game.

Is the combat all abstracted like in BOA? You just move armies around to different regions and when they meet, the game tells you what happened?

Or do you drop down to a tactical battle like the TW series?

Its based on a board game so you have a boardgame esque tactical battle you play out, moving counters around and rolling dice. It has counters that are kinda reminiscent of WiF in fact. You have to choose which unit you put in the front line and whether you have artillery support or not, and also have to manage reserves (you can place units in a reserve and then bring them up after at least one round of combat). If your reserve is plentiful you can have breakthrough battles (ie, not only do you take the province you attack, but you smash through and attack the province behind it too) though there isn't much chance of that when trench warfare begins. If you have a cavalry reserve they get a special breakthrough bonus (you can take three provinces with a cavalry breakthrough, which is pretty powerful).

Sieges are a bit different, you can assault (costly), bombard (effective, but siege artillery is very limited) or besiege (takes about six turns to starve a fortress out).

When trench warfare begins the range at which you can draw reserves in seems to increase so you can literally put half the front into one battle if you want. You also get Grand Offensives which you plan in advance - not really to gain ground (we're talking the Somme here after all) though it is possible to advance with them, but you need to have at least one grand offensive a year to avoid morale hits, and also you research new doctrines via grand offensives. When you launch one of these babies you have some extra options as well, you got choices like gas attack, flash bombardment, trench infiltration and more besides.

Theres a similar thing for naval battles though the options are a bit different.

So there is a tactical battle of a sort, it just is a boardgame style one, so its less abstract than GoA.

I do like the breadth of the game. In my current game as the Central Powers I'm up to June 1915. Britain is actually totally neutral after a diplomatic blitz, it isn't even not-fighting-but-economically-supporting the Entente anymore. Though Japan joined the Entente early. :lol: I'm still getting to grips with the game mechanics as it is pretty complex under the hood, but I do like it.

The only slight thing I dont' like is I don't think it models attritional warfare all that well. It seems to work mostly on a morale basis rather than an economic basis - you suffer National Will penalties for failing to do various things. For example if the CPs take Verdun then the French will get a national will bonus maybe to take it back as it pisses them off. Fail to take it back after a while though, and they'll suffer a big hit. This, and the research of doctrines, is what makes you feed men into the grinder even though you aren't sweeping across the map like in WW2.

I think GoA did a better job in this regard. In GoA you can both attack, and a massed attack will capture a hex, but you have to buy an expensive HQ point to attack at all. So it became about stockpiling HQ points and making a Big Push, which sometimes turned into a seesaw of attack/counterattack. Also the casualties had a really obvious effect, so you could attack France as the CPs until mid 1915 for the sole reason of bleeding them so you have breathing room for a while in the east, it would take the French a long time to recover from a mauling. This game doesn't seem to have that problem - I've never even come close to running out of reinforcements as any great power. Instead you got other carrots to make you meatgrind, but they seem a bit more contrived. GoA really did a wonderful job.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:39 pm 
Sergeant Major

Heh, there's even a little nice touch at the end as to whether it was really 'the war to end all wars' or not.

Quote:
Here are prophesies of what might happen in the following years in Europe.
Decisive Victory: your side obtains a complete success. Your main two
opponents have surrendered with the worst possible conditions. Your side
obtains supremacy in Europe until the end of the century, and is the de
facto leader of the Society of Nations. The risks of a Second World War are
averted for a long time.
Major Victory: your side has won the war, but maybe not the peace. Your
major enemies have surrendered, averting total defeat. Peace has been
signed, but there are still hard feelings on both sides. Risks of a Second
World War exist, but your side is the favorite.
Minor Victory: your side got a lukewarm success. Your main enemy is out
of action for some time. Peace, between the victors, is not a viable one.The
Second World War will erupt soon, and your side is not united.
Revenge!: the military victory is incomplete. The enemy side hopes it will
get its revenge. The Second World War will erupt within 20 years, and your
victory, dearly bought, will again be jeopardized. The enemy side will have
the possibility to prevail again.
World Revolution?: the Great War ends with a bad peace, but more
important, with the emergence of Communism in Europe, in one or
several nations. The risk of a Bolshevik Revolution spreading over the world
is very strong, since there is no other power able to install its world order.
The Peace of the Peoples will spread, you just have to wait.
Historical Example: Germany surrendered voluntarily to the West (7 VPs)
and Austria-Hungary surrendered (7 VPs) = 14 VPs.You have to subtract 3
VPs because of Bolshevik Revolution in Russia. The result is 11 VPs: it is
a Minor Victory. The Great War did not install a long peace in Europe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 pm 
Staff Sergeant

OK EUBanana, you got me interested enough to check out their website.

3 Things:

1) This game looks AMAZINGLY good. I had it pictured as BOA relocated to Europe. Not even close.

2) I love a game company that isn't afraid to put the manual online. Nothing tells me more about a game than looking at the manual. If this game isn't buggy, it looks like a must buy for me.

3) Its got a fricken demo. No excuse not to check it out.

Crap. Already blew this months game budget with E:TW. Now I'm wishing I'd waited... although, they are the best TW battles yet, but the strategic part is a big unwieldy.

Its funny, I actually enjoy the E:TW Tutorial (which just takes place in the new world) to the grand campaign because turns take so fricken long in the GC that it makes you want to skip all the battles instead of playing them out which is the heart of the game. The tutorial leads to a lot of good, medium sized, well balanced battles (which of course the human always wins) and 2-3 minute strategic turns.

Rome:TW was better balanced in that way, IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

AngryOldMan wrote:
1) This game looks AMAZINGLY good. I had it pictured as BOA relocated to Europe. Not even close.

No, its nothing like Birth of America (finally clicked what you meant by BoA). I played the demo of that, didn't like it.

BoA is positively simplistic compared to this. I didn't like BoA much actually.

And oh yes, it is very good. This does a good job of WW1, thats for sure.

[qutoe]2) I love a game company that isn't afraid to put the manual online. Nothing tells me more about a game than looking at the manual. If this game isn't buggy, it looks like a must buy for me.[/quote]

I've had the odd crash now but its a rare thing.

Quote:
Rome:TW was better balanced in that way, IMO.

Rome:TW was my fave game for a long time. :D Never played the Empire one though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Here's the KuK about to drop the hammer on the Tsar...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

While the Austrians drive east of Galicia, it sucks to be Russian in Poland, where the Tsar's troops furiously attack the German lines - and get massacred.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:12 pm 
Sergeant Major

I especially like this one...

The second Russo-Japanese war has broken out thanks to devious Central Powers diplomacy, so Japan has occupied Siberia and the Japanese navy is contesting the British in the Pacific.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
I gotta admit it looks fun.

Still, the screen resolution would only use half my monitor space. :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:57 pm 
Staff Sergeant

What are the differences if any between buying from Matrix / Aegod?

I'd prefer to buy from Matrix but not if I'm giving anything up for it like not getting patches as fast.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next