Chess

Game and computer related topics only. Tech questions and answers.

Trolls will be waterboarded

Moderators: chijohnaok, Kameolontti

Forum rules
No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.
nero
Sergeant Major

Re: Chess

#71 Post by nero » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:43 pm

A modern game for the Old Crusader:

;)
A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens. -- Friedrich Schiller

abradley
buck private

#72 Post by abradley » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 am

Brilliantly done, speaking of poetry Cyrano's poem 11:00 thru 18:00 may not be chess, but Jose Ferrer does as well as any.
Posted by Keld Denar
+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... D-2-5-What

nero
Sergeant Major

#73 Post by nero » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Back to more modern chess.

A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses. -- Carlo M. Cipolla

chijohnaok
Sergeant Major

#74 Post by chijohnaok » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:14 pm

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.
- misattributed to Alexis De Tocqueville

No representations made as to the accuracy of info in posted news articles or links

nero
Sergeant Major

#75 Post by nero » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Old.

nero
Sergeant Major

#76 Post by nero » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 pm

AngryOldMan
Staff Sergeant

#77 Post by AngryOldMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

nero wrote:
That's a great explanation for the 'why' of ELO.

One thing not mentioned is the interesting fact that ELO is commutative. For example, let's say you play in a tournament and you play against players with the following ratings:

1800, 1750, 1600, 1950, 2000

And let's say your final score is 2-1-2 or 0.500.

It doesn't matter who you beat, who you tied and who you lost to. It doesn't matter what order you played them, you can simply calculate your new ELO by using the average of your opponents and your final result and then multiplying the adjustment by the number of games played and you will end up with exactly the same final rating as if you calculated your new rating sequentially after each game.

That is not obvious from the formula.
---------------------------------
If those who can do, and those who can't teach, what does that say about a sex education teacher?

nero
Sergeant Major

#78 Post by nero » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:59 pm

AngryOldMan wrote:
That's a great explanation for the 'why' of ELO.

One thing not mentioned is the interesting fact that ELO is commutative. For example, let's say you play in a tournament and you play against players with the following ratings:

1800, 1750, 1600, 1950, 2000

And let's say your final score is 2-1-2 or 0.500.

It doesn't matter who you beat, who you tied and who you lost to. It doesn't matter what order you played them, you can simply calculate your new ELO by using the average of your opponents and your final result and then multiplying the adjustment by the number of games played and you will end up with exactly the same final rating as if you calculated your new rating sequentially after each game.

That is not obvious from the formula.
I am glad that you liked my finding.

In chess the white has a small advantage, but the formula does not recognize the fact. In some other games, war games scenarios the playing field and the force ratio are not so equal. Few years back I was pondering about would it be possible to rate the scenarios in the same time with players according to the played games. The scenarios having rating too; a number between 0 to 1.

Perhaps I will return to this idea when I retire. ;)

AngryOldMan
Staff Sergeant

#79 Post by AngryOldMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 pm

nero wrote: I am glad that you liked my finding.

In chess the white has a small advantage, but the formula does not recognize the fact. In some other games, war games scenarios the playing field and the force ratio are not so equal. Few years back I was pondering about would it be possible to rate the scenarios in the same time with players according to the played games. The scenarios having rating too; a number between 0 to 1.

Perhaps I will return to this idea when I retire. ;)
One proposed solution because the last world championship ended in all draws and went to blitz chess was to leverage that small advantage that white has. The idea was that the challenger would get more games as white, maybe 7-5 BUT he would have to win outright.

If the players end up tied, the champion retains his title.

This would guarantee that the championship for classical chess would be decided by classical chess.

It would also likely lead to more attacking chess because the challenger would have to win at least one game.
---------------------------------
If those who can do, and those who can't teach, what does that say about a sex education teacher?

abradley
buck private

#80 Post by abradley » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:11 am

Posted by Keld Denar
+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... D-2-5-What