It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Rome Total War
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:05 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4900
I know it's an older game and I got it for my son but I've been playing it more than he has. I really like it. Wish I had gotten it earlier.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rome Total War
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 3144
mac1812 wrote:
I know it's an older game and I got it for my son but I've been playing it more than he has. I really like it. Wish I had gotten it earlier.

I used to be addicted to this. I got to the point where I had to inflict all sorts of house rules against myself to keep from wining too easily. Like no fort building, no disease spreading, no assassinations, etc.

I loved the battles especially playing as the Romans. Legions in the middle, cav on the wings, backed up by archers.

Ever play the barbarian invasion expansion? Pretty cool, they had special hordes rules.

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4900
AngryOldMan wrote:
mac1812 wrote:

I used to be addicted to this. I got to the point where I had to inflict all sorts of house rules against myself to keep from wining too easily. Like no fort building, no disease spreading, no assassinations, etc.

I loved the battles especially playing as the Romans. Legions in the middle, cav on the wings, backed up by archers.

Ever play the barbarian invasion expansion? Pretty cool, they had special hordes rules.

I see what you mean about the house rules. I just took Spain and Gual and one area in North Africa. I have the Barbarian and Alexander expansion but holding off playing them until I get bored with Rome. This game has got me hooked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 254
The Barbarian Invasions expansion pack is good. I played these much more than MTW2.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17927
I really liked the Rome Total Realism mod.

Most notably, it added a lot more historic units, removed the cheesy ones, and the battles were more interesting since the units were universally made more resilient so they weren't getting obliterated in 15 seconds (making the battles less of a click-fest and more tactics oriented IMO).

I'm not sure if it had been updated in quite awhile, though. Which is fine with me as I've never bought a Total War expansion. The x-packs just seemed to be milking each release as much as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 0
Try the Europa Barbaroum Mod.

I was jaded with RTW until i installed this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:28 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 17927
I heard that the Nvidia drivers for Vista don't run RTW too well. True?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:15 pm 
PFC

Reputation points: 0
I have a Compaq Presario with Vista and NVIDIA GEForce 6150 SE and it runs okay.

The opening movie and some speech is stuttered.

Profile E-mail