It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Outer Worlds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:19 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Didn't find a thread on this one, so here we go. This was one I have been looking forward to for quite some time. It came out about a week ago I guess and I bought a couple days ago. It was developed by "Obsidian" the same group who made Fallout New Vegas (and also includes a large fraction of the original creators of Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 . . . before their publisher/managers drove their business into the ground and they were forced to sell their Fallout IP to Bethesda). I always "liked" Fallout New Vegas, and of course the original Fallouts were amazing. I had never really played 1 until recently and spent some time with it using the "Fallout Fixt" mod, which I suspect is almost completely created by one of the original developers and "published" under a screen name to evade any entanglements with Bethesda now owning the IP. Still a fun game and an interesting study in design, but certainly shows its age too (Graphics and UI are particularly painful).

So in sum, I was really looking forward to this new Obsidian offering; To make a long story short: I'm content with it, but not as wowed as I was with either Fallout 4 or Fallout 3 (or even Skyrim or Oblivion) when they first hit me. Maybe I'm just older.

Outer Worlds is very "well-done," from the standpoint of being highly buttoned up and polished. ZERO bugs, crashes or glitches so far which says a lot in this day and age. Excellent UI (got a list of only about 7 or 8 features it lacks compared to my typical list of 20 or 30 for most alpha releases), very well done models and art. Good sound, good voice acting, excellent writing. The combat mechanics are predictable and pleasant. Even the world lore is generally pleasing and intriguing.

I think the main thing about the game that turns me off: (a) the texture is a bit too 'nice' compared to what I expected, by which I mean: the world seems like an exceedingly "polite" and "kindly" place, not the least bit frightening or disturbing. It is almost like they were inspired by Fortnite and made a "Fallout New Vegas Meets Fortnite" game. (b) While the writing is excellent, and the way in which emergent narrative is woven together with the game are best of class, it is nonetheless way too easy, way too predictable and way too formulaic. I would contrast this with New Vegas which felt much more open-ended, unpredictable, bizarre and (depending on game settings) unforgivingly challenging. The first 20 or so hours I played on "Supernova" difficulty," which is the highest difficulty setting. I started and restarted several times after suffering unintended premature deaths or making bad decisions in character development, but I eventually got fed up with some of the dynamics in that difficulty mode and have restarted on "Regular" (which is one notch above the easiest) with the intent to finish out touring the game in that mode. To be fair, Supernova IS more challenging and much of it seems to come from not just computer opponents with higher values for their combat stats, but also for computer opponents which engage in more tactically challenging behaviors (flanking, feinting, dodging, re-positioning). If it was only the combat portions of Supernova it would be fine, but the companions are clearly not balanced for the mode (they are suicidal in this difficulty mode which means they are kind've just along for the ride if you don't want them to die). That was the main thing that turned me off from it: constantly dying companions. The restrictions on saving and fast travel are also somewhat tedious but I can understand the intent.

I think with mods this game may well be amazing, but I don't think it will ever quite hit the level of New Vegas. The maps are instanced maps ("regions" on the main colony planet, else space stations, regions on moons, interiors of space craft, etc.) so they are all smaller but highly detailed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Outer Worlds
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18687
Here is a long game play video of Outer Worlds. Fun game; it grows on me the more I play it.

Profile E-mail