maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: How to use my 50% off coupon at Matrix?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:51 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 9996
I couldn't use mine because I couldn't prove I wasn't a robot.
I'm sorry if there's even a sliver of the traffic light in the pane I'm going to click on it.

I don't know if it will work for just anyone or if it expired but here's my 50% code - feel free to try it:

50%-3293-7267-8509-1267

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
Matrix in general. I found their WW2 research to be design for affect and for effect rather than grounded in anything real, across multiple systems (WitP, and the pre-WitP Guadalcanal module whose name I don't recall). A Roman era consim sounds interesting and if your choices are limited it may be that MatriSlithe is all you get.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4643
mdiehl wrote:
Matrix in general. I found their WW2 research to be design for affect and for effect rather than grounded in anything real, across multiple systems (WitP, and the pre-WitP Guadalcanal module whose name I don't recall). A Roman era consim sounds interesting and if your choices are limited it may be that MatriSlithe is all you get.

I agree in part. I feel like they have 100 versions of the same game sometimes too. I mean how many no-stacking strategic WWII games do we need? And can't someone find a better model for sea units than floating divisions?

But I have really enjoyed FOG. It's definitely a game, not a simulation. But they have done a really good job of modelling the different types of units and coming up with a game system that rewards maneuver as much as attrition. I like it much better than the battles in RTW. Just find RTS to be too much of a click fest and too difficult to monitor what's going on all over the map when you have a lot of units.

Thanks again nelmsm! This is a game I would never have considered on my own.

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12064
I should have suggested Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm as well. Don't know how I forgot it as it's one of my favorites. Love the way they model the command cycles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
Staff Sergeant

nelmsm wrote:
I should have suggested Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm as well. Don't know how I forgot it as it's one of my favorites. Love the way they model the command cycles.

Well I only got one discount code lol!

I have looked at that before. Looks very interesting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:05 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I have now reached full addiction mode with FOG II. I've completed one sandbox campaign as the Romans and am halfway through the Caesar Campaign.

Last night was interesting because I faced Pompey's army. First Legion on Legion battle. For once I didn't have an automatic advantage with my heavy infantry as they had as many Veteran Legions as I did. Fortunately, I was able to outflank them and gain the upper hand. When I killed their General it started a panic chain and then things quickly spiralled out of control. For them.

Also managed to sneak some cav behind their lines and take out two unprotected arty.

I really like the way battles are modeled. Seems like you always reach a tipping point where things could still go either way and then one key unit breaks and that army's entire formation collapses as flanking units are freed up for the winning side. Seems pretty realistic to me.

Profile E-mail