maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: How to use my 50% off coupon at Matrix?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 am 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4643
So it turns out that I have a 50% off coupon from Matrix/Slitherine and 30 days to use it. The one game I'm really excited about that is coming out is War Plan but I doubt it will go live in August.

Any ideas on games that might be worth taking the plunge on?

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to use my 50% off coupon at Matrix?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:49 am 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 12064
AngryOldMan wrote:
So it turns out that I have a 50% off coupon from Matrix/Slitherine and 30 days to use it. The one game I'm really excited about that is coming out is War Plan but I doubt it will go live in August.

Not sure what you already have but here are some that I purchased in the last year and find fun.

Field of Glory: Empires - just released in July. Been having a blast with it and it's been my go to when not doing PBEM or playtesting
Fields of Glory II - fun game but there is also the ability to take battles from Field of Glory Empires and play them out in this game
Afghanistan '11 - Fun little game that got a lot of my attention when new.
Command Modern Air Naval Operations - very detailed simulation with a ton of scenarios to play. Quite challenging. AI will spank you if you don't come up with a good plan.
Grigsby's War in the West/War in the East - love both of these but you had better have some time if you are playing the full campaigns. Quite complex but I find them very enjoyable.
Campaigns on the Danube - Unique system by Frank Hunter. Good game but probably wouldn't have recommended it but he's come back on the forums and is working on a new patch and it sounds like another game with the same system
Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich - I love this game but it's not to everyone's taste. They have recently patched it and a working on another one to improve it more. Another time sink but if you like the air war in Europe you're not going to find anything better.

Bought others recently but most I have not had a chance to play to any degree but grabbed while they were on sale with the idea that I'll find some time somewhere to play them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:56 am 
Staff Sergeant

nelmsm wrote:
AngryOldMan wrote:

Not sure what you already have but here are some that I purchased in the last year and find fun.

Field of Glory: Empires - just released in July. Been having a blast with it and it's been my go to when not doing PBEM or playtesting
Fields of Glory II - fun game but there is also the ability to take battles from Field of Glory Empires and play them out in this game
Afghanistan '11 - Fun little game that got a lot of my attention when new.
Command Modern Air Naval Operations - very detailed simulation with a ton of scenarios to play. Quite challenging. AI will spank you if you don't come up with a good plan.
Grigsby's War in the West/War in the East - love both of these but you had better have some time if you are playing the full campaigns. Quite complex but I find them very enjoyable.
Campaigns on the Danube - Unique system by Frank Hunter. Good game but probably wouldn't have recommended it but he's come back on the forums and is working on a new patch and it sounds like another game with the same system
Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich - I love this game but it's not to everyone's taste. They have recently patched it and a working on another one to improve it more. Another time sink but if you like the air war in Europe you're not going to find anything better.

Bought others recently but most I have not had a chance to play to any degree but grabbed while they were on sale with the idea that I'll find some time somewhere to play them.

Thanks! Great list. I have WITE/WITW, Command Modern ANO, and Danube. Eagle Day does sound interesting. And I've definitely been thinking about Field of Glory: Empires.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm 
Staff Sergeant

So FOG II is basically a tactical game and you can use it to play out battles from FOG:E? What happens if you don't have FOG II? Does the battle just autoresolve with no player input?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

You don't have to have FOGII to play FOG:E, its just an option to play out those battles. FOGII is a stand alone tactical battle game of ancient warfare. There are four or five DLC's available with it as well. I think I've got 3 of them. It is a fun and usually the battle scenarios play out fairly quick. You can play historical battles, set up battles, and play campaigns as well. FoG:E is more strategic as you'll have to really manage your pops and control your culture/decadence. Battles will be played out according to the number of troops you have an and the frontage they can cover versus the frontage available in the terrain. For instances a big army fighting against Germanic tribes in the Alps may not have that great of advantage due to small frontages which can negate your numerical advantage. It will also factor in the make up of your army, whether heavy or light infantry, light or heavy cavalry, etc. Experience and fatigue and leaders also play a part. I find the game does a good job and haven't tried to export any battles yet. So to sum it up your main input to battles in FOG:E will be the make up you choose for your army, the leaders you select, and how much experience they gain, and what terrain you choose to fight in, if you have a choice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:33 pm 
Staff Sergeant

So now I think I'm digging FOG 2 more than FOG E. I think I'd prefer to play quick tactical battles than long drawn out campaigns.

Is there a way to buy the game on Matrix and then download it as a Steam game? I see it is sold in both places but I don't know if my 50% off token will work at Steam. OTOH, I prefer Steam so I don't have to keep track of my installation media.

NEVER MIND! Found it. Once you register your game you can go to members area and get steam key. Sweet!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:41 am 
Staff Sergeant

OK, so I dipped my toe in the shallow end and picked up FOG II for $15. So far I really like the game mechanics. Looks like I can get the same sort of tactical ancient warfare fix that I used to get from Rome: Total War without the stress of having to manage 10's of units in real time. The turn based system seems really well thought out and logical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:54 am 
Staff Sergeant

You can PBEM it as well so if you want an easy win we can have at it some time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:34 pm 
Staff Sergeant

nelmsm wrote:
You can PBEM it as well so if you want an easy win we can have at it some time.

That sounds fun but I have to get up to speed first!

The graphics are nice but honestly, I would prefer old style game board chits as I find them much easier to read. I know the movement in wargames is to animated 3D models because they think it will have more appeal but personally I always find it much harder to understand what is going on.

But at least with a turn based system I'm not under time pressure like in R:TW to notice that my archers halfway across the battlefield are beginning to panic from enemy cavalry while a spear unit is standing right next to them gazing at the clouds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm 
Staff Sergeant

One problem I'm having is that I ordered this through Slitherine expecting that once I registered I will also get a Steam key. I did not. The reason I went through Slither is because I wanted to use my discount code. However, this may have been a mistake because if I don't get the Steam version, I can't take advantage of future specials on DLC which could end up saving me a lot more money than the $15 I just saved with my code.

I feel misled because this post:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 58&t=72513

Implies that once I register I will then see a Get Steam Key link. But I don't. Oh well, not a big deal but a warning to anyone else here looking to do the same.

Profile E-mail