Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: Panzer Corp Wehrmacht
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 4198
AngryOldMan wrote:
I actually won the main campaign and it only took me 376 hours (according to Steam).

Wow that was difficult. For those of you who have never played, a decisive victory in the West Coast of the U.S. is brutally hard. You have tons of territory and only 18 turns and the U.S. Air Force is huge, the Navy bombs the crap out of you when you get in range, Pershings and Firefly Shermans all over the place and Rangers in the cities. Some strength 15 in L.A. and S.F. Not to mention the most powerful and longest range AA and Arty in the game.

Add in about 10 fortresses and the Rockies funneling your troops right through the kill zone. And as icing on the cake a fairly large Armor + Ranger counter attack from Montana that you have to deal with.

I managed to take San Fran, Seattle, and Sacramento all about the same time with SF falling last on turn 16.

So yeah, just here to brag. Probably hardest campaign I've ever won in a wargame.

Is the US scenario in a mod or what DCL. Have never hit that challenge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:01 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4768
HancockTheSuperb wrote:

Is the US scenario in a mod or what DCL. Have never hit that challenge.

No its the original campaign. But in order to get there, there are a series of scenarios that have to be won in Decisive Victories.

Here is the complete list of Scenarios and the type of victory I got to get to the US:
(NOTE: the Marginal Victories are on purpose to give you more turns to store up prestige and experience)

Poland (D)
Norway (M)
Low Countries (D)
France (D)
Sea Lion 40 (D)
Barbarossa (M)
Kiev (M)
Moscow 41 (M)
Stalingrad (M)
Kursk (D)
Moscow 43 (D)
US East (M)
US Midwest (M)
US West (D) => This is the only way to actually 'win' the entire campaign. You must get a decisive victory here.

Here is a link to the complete chart, my path is not the only way to get there but at some point you're going to have to get a decisive Sea Lion and a decisive Moscow at the very least. Both of which are very hard.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =244331746

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 am 
Corporal

Many thanks, AOM. I purchased a mega pak Panzer Corps Grand Campaign at least several years ago from Matrix. Steam has a Gold package that was released in the last year or so. Do you happen to know if the Gold release is new and improved, additional scenarios,???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am 
Staff Sergeant

HancockTheSuperb wrote:
Many thanks, AOM. I purchased a mega pak Panzer Corps Grand Campaign at least several years ago from Matrix. Steam has a Gold package that was released in the last year or so. Do you happen to know if the Gold release is new and improved, additional scenarios,???

I do not understand what the Gold release is exactly. Whatever I purchased it was from Steam and it has basically everything. Grand campaign, Afrika Corps, US campaign, Soviet campaign. Not sure if that's the Gold pack or not. They make it very confusing, IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant

OK, I'm done. 489 hours and I'm fed up with this game.
Made it through Wehrmact and was kicking ass in the AfriKa Korps one where I reached a scenario that was just ridiculous.

In the north I'm facing Soviet armor which I can handle but in the south I'm facing what appears to be the entire U.S. Air Force. Which, as it turns out, is a pretty good air force. I restarted the scenario about 5 times but it seems impossible to not lose half of my own air force as wave after wave of American fighters rip me apart.

I think one of the downsides of these games where you build your forces over time is that you get attached to them and can't stand to see any units destroyed. So I'm shelving this game at least for now.

On to the new Strategic Command (Europe only).

Looks like Hubert rediscovered hexes!

I will never for the life of me understand why he ever went away from them with those weird diamond shaped squares. I love his games and have pretty much all of them but I definitely am digging the hexes which make 1000 times more sense. In my always humble opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 pm 
Corporal

I still like playing this game. Been playing through at Field Marshall level. Just a good time, although it scares me a bit that if Hitler and his generals had a any sense of strategy and supply we might be dealing with a very different Europe...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 pm 
Staff Sergeant

HancockTheSuperb wrote:
I still like playing this game. Been playing through at Field Marshall level. Just a good time, although it scares me a bit that if Hitler and his generals had a any sense of strategy and supply we might be dealing with a very different Europe...

How do you beat the last few levels of Afrika Korps? The Allied air force is just BRUTAL.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:44 pm 
Corporal

AngryOldMan wrote:
HancockTheSuperb wrote:

How do you beat the last few levels of Afrika Korps? The Allied air force is just BRUTAL.

Air power, air power, air power. And heavy dose of AA units to protect your armor and artillery. That's the trick. But, as you have made clear, not easy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:07 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3288
Good summary. I've never completed the game, but gotten pretty far. I do wish there was less gaminess to get to the finish, and it tickles my retro bone since I played the originals to death.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 am 
Staff Sergeant

Mr. McGibbletts wrote:
Good summary. I've never completed the game, but gotten pretty far. I do wish there was less gaminess to get to the finish, and it tickles my retro bone since I played the originals to death.

Yeah, I agree. I love the game. Fun as hell, but the gameiness to win the campaigns is ridiculous. It means winning the campaigns is more about exploiting the reinforcement and upgrade system than what you do on the map. When I find myself having won the battle 10 turns early but holding off on the last VP so I can build up prestige and experience points that's pretty lame.

I like the way FOG II campaigns work a lot better. You choose at startup what difficulty level you want and whether you want it static or progressive. You get the same enjoyment of slowly building up your army from average units to elite and molding it to fit your playing style but face far more reasonable armies. And you fail or succeed by how efficiently you win the battle, not by exploiting some unrealistic reinforcement system.

Having said that, I must admit that I logged a few hundred hours on PCW so I can't say I didn't get my money's worth!

Profile E-mail