It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Kingdom Come Deliverance
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:11 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 18312
Saw this a year or more ago on Steam and had it on my wishlist. Then it came out, and it sounded horrid. But now maybe it is matured enough? Decided to take the plunge and get the whole kit-and-kaboodle "pack" for $45 for -50%

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kingdom Come Deliverance
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

An exceptional game, but also a very flawed one. A post I just made on the game's Steam community discussion board
"Beautiful Game Self-Harmed by Hideously Bad Game Design Choices"
Quote:
So much love and attention obviously went into this game, and the story, the detail, the flavor are all refreshing and endearing. It pulls you in like few games do, and the story it has to tell is so sincere and grounded it shows why the general trends toward flash and adrenaline-rush in games is a dead end.

But then the game makes you aware of how it handles "the reality" in which your Henry operates.

1. Power went out in your domicile? Ah shucks. I guess you'll just have to replay those 3 hours of herb picking grinding you just engaged in . . . Sorry!

2. Want to try to explore this fascinating and apparently "open-world," well watch out for those boundaries and hidden script launch spots! Whoops! You started that particular quest sooner than you would have preferred didn't you! I guess you'll be wanting to go back to that "Save file" that you just reloaded from when after you choose "Save and Exit" in order to take your dog for a walk . . .

3. But, OH darn! THAT save file is handled DIFFERENTLY by the application than the "official" ones it deems worth keeping for you! Sorry! Looks like you'll have to go back and redo those 2 hours of exploring/grinding you just did AGAIN!

4. Want to explore the village where grew up? Hmm, whats this building with a door in it . . . but ah, no that isn't a REAL door, you cannot actually interact with it (much like large quantities of the chattel graphics you see on shelves/cupboards/tables, etc.

5. Scripted "action scenes" with quite narrow tolerance thresholds for "success/failure" -> NOT fun

6. Inconsistencies in the rules for how this game universe functions: drop some clothes on the ground, there they are. Drop a pile of herbs on the ground: gone into the ether.

No matter how good this game is and it IS very, VERY good, you have unwittingly harmed your product, your brand, and your appeal with these ridiculous, insulting, enragingly poor design choices.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:18 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant

Reputation points: 20000
The game got a lot of shit from SJW's when it first came out for not having people of colour in it. The games Dev was basically like "There were no black people in 15th Century Bohemia, fuck off."

I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by
What a waste...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 20000
Played it a while on console. Was thinking of playing it again once the kinks are worked out. It's a clever game not for everyone. Anyone looking carefully thinking of biting I'd say bite.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:29 am 
Sergeant Major

Most of my grievance with it pertains to the "Prologue" phase: i.e., the first 3 to 8 hours of play which just basically gets you acquainted with your character and the tragedy that led you to being a "free agent" out for vengeance against King Sigismund.

At that point, when you wake up after a couple weeks comatose, you are "free to play a role playing game," and it is marvelous! Truly immersive and compelling!

I can even understand and empathize with WHY they did the Prologue the way they did. My only beef: they didn't tell me what it was. Had the game started with basically a warning that "The real game, where you have real choices, and can roam freely doesn't start till you finish the Prologue . . ." I'd have no grounds to complain about that part.

Beyond the prologue only gripes are mainly small ones: 1. The "auto brew" functionality in the alchemy bench is unnecessarily tedious and causes vertigo; 2. Some of the brush and similar type foliage is too impassable, and more than once I've got myself stuck in a little space between small trees and had to wrestle my way out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game now has several more DLC for it, which I've purchased. I moved all my Steam content over to a new Hard drive recently and went ahead and moved this one in too. Has been several months I played it; probably go back and try for a "complete" playthrough at some point in the next few months. At this point, the game is MATURE, truly deserving of the "Gold" development progress label.

They are supposed to release a modding API or SDK soon enough and once they do that, and depending on how well exposed the core functionalities of the game are made for modding, this game MIGHT wind up being as long-lived as Skyrim. It probably will not, but all I'm saying is: it is a good enough game that it could follow that path.

I get the impression that many game development decision makers don't get it. They don't understand that the more they make their popular game moddable the more they inflate and extend the sales tail on their product. Ah well

Profile E-mail