All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm AAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:09 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 10460
Since I had a bit of bachelor time this evening after completing my PBEM files I decided to start up a FCRS campaign and thought I would share with you all. I'll be in charge of the 3rd Brigade of the 2nd Armored Division. The other brigades of the 2nd Armored are in the Fulda Gap but we are stationed on the North German Plain. The war kicked off with the Soviets attacking through the Fulda Gap and just about the time NATO was about to shift us south the Soviets finally unleashed their attack here. We've deployed east of Bremen with orders to hold the Soviets away from this vital port. Here is the beginning map with our set up areas in purple. I have the option to deploy my troops as I see fit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm AAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:18 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Here is the map after I've set up. I've deployed one platoon in the town south of Bucholz to slow down any Soviet advance there. Two platoons are deployed in Bucholz itself but on the friendly side of that river as I don't want to get trapped on the wrong side. There are two recon elements on the the other side to give us warning of what's coming. Another platoon is deployed at the crossroads in Sprotze with orders to dig in. They will be necessary as I'm sure the numbers the Soviets can throw at me will force me to give up Bucholz and the other town. Further north there is a lone recon element to let me know what in the hell is coming down that road. I've positioned a couple of tank platoons to reinforce there. I have one platoon set to go to Wennerstorf as that looks to be a good position to fire at the roads on either side. The rest of the armor will assume positions on the hill in front of them to have superior fire positions on any armor making it through or around Bucholz. There is one lone Bradley platoon in Todtglusingen that will take a firing position to prevent any armor from crossing that bridge until reinforcements arrive. Here is what it looks like;

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:27 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Well the Soviets started their advance and we successfully ambushed them on the southern route. All the little fire and smoke symbols you see are Soviet wrecks.

These wrecks amounted to 2 recon elements, 17 tanks, 1 mech element, and 3 HQ elements. The Soviets did pummel one platoon with direct fire and lots of artillery and we lost most of one platoon. Time to pull these folks back if we can disengage and get further into the city for better cover for us and worse for Soviet armor. I've well inside the Soviet's decision loop with a decision time of 17 minutes to their 29 and my projected for next turn is 15 minutes. Time to get into position. Well a wrench in the plans as Soviet radio jamming has run me out of orders so not everyone is going to get the word to move out. More when I get a chance to sit down to it again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:05 pm 
Staff Sergeant

I've played an 1 hour and 25 minutes of elapsed game time now. My infantry company that I had in that town south of Bucholz has been all but wiped out with only one element of the HQ platoon left. I did get some Paladin's as reinforcements and used one battery to drop FASCAM (the yellow circle) on the road leading out of that town. Hope it's a bit of surprise for those Commie bastards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Here is a screen shot of Bucholz and the area north. The Soviets haven't made a big push for the town yet but did destroy my one recon element and have a good spot to fire on the infantry platoon guarding the northern bridge, which I've blown along with the central one. The southern bridge is being wired as I write this and will hopefully be blown before the Soviets come a calling. My goal is to channel their forces to the north where there is a narrow gap along the B75 highway for them to advance and where I think I can get superior firepower to bear. North of there the Soviets are just now sending some mechanized infantry and I think the few M1A1's I have stationed there should be able to handle. Here is a screenshot

I've received one tank company, some HQ elements, two batteries of Paladins (worth their weight in gold), and another couple of AD elements. For the loss of that infantry company and a few squads from another platoon and the one recon element we've killed the following; 13 recon, 29 tanks, 18 APC, 3 infantry platoons, 10 HQ's, 1 AD, and 4 transports. I'll take that loss ratio all day long. My infantry/Bradley's are doing great damage with their TOW's and the Paladin's are hammering any Soviet HQ that spends too much time on the radio without moving.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 pm 
Staff Sergeant

No screenshots this time as I've decided to let the action unfold bit more. The Soviets have taken advantage of my screw up and are coming across the one bridge I didn't get destroyed in Bucholz. I've been using FASCAM and ICM on the bridge approaches and my infantry are killing tanks in droves before succumbing but those Commie bastards are just like Ron Jeremy, they just keep coming! Holding my own elsewhere as we've shot up the mechanized infantry that were approaching along the northern highway and the Soviets seem to respect the FASCAM I laid on the highway in the south. They've sent a few tank units through them but have had losses and the rest seem content to sit back and take pot shots at the cavalry troop I have on the hill just to the north. I can expect another infantry company in 36 minutes but no more armor for another 56 minutes. I'm concerned about that southern highway as I have next to nothing there if they get some intestinal fortitude to run those mines and make a hard push that way. I'm hoping that their losses there will hold them up for a bit.

Now I need to ask is anyone reading this or should I commit it to the same trashcan where most of Nero's stuff belongs?

Profile E-mail