It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: Fallout 76
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14925
In the future you'll have your VR goggles/contact lenses and a virtual screen of arbitrary size which has all the resolution the human eye can process.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:22 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
EUBanana wrote:
In the future you'll have your VR goggles/contact lenses and a virtual screen of arbitrary size which has all the resolution the human eye can process.

Yup. I already tried stuff like being in a 1x2 meter office (good ventilation though!) and creating a virtual workspace with the helmet and it actually worked like a charm, the only problem was the screen door effect but one of these years we'll get rid of that too.

In this regard it will cost me more to have good eyesight for obvious reasons. With a lesser eyesight you could already reach it with the latest Samsung headset iirc. which costs around 1000$ and has the best resolution so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13856
If it is either (a) Fallout Micro-Transactions; or (b) Fallout Pay-to-win, I want no part of it.

If it is Fallout, not too much different from Fallout 4 before they morphed it into a Micro-Transaction marketplace, but with Coop, I'll wait till it is six months or so old and MAYBE check it out. If it has no free modding capacity, I'll not be inclined to purchase.

I reckon there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of us who will approach it about the same way, yet that is probably precisely what Altman (the CEO who calls the shots I guess, a declared Clinton supporter no less and obvious sleaze bag) will tell his studio to do: chase the current trend in monetization.

Fallout 2 was brilliant, Fallout 3 even better, Fallout New Vegas was fine, Fallout 4 was astounding and wonderful though fatally flawed (the whole building system is pointless given the computer opponents are completely incapable of overcoming any defenses and in fact defenses do not matter at all). Fallout 1 with the Fixt mod is a fun game, but exemplary of the somewhat skewed notion of how RNG harshness made for "good gaming" which was the norm back in the day. A true classic, but the graphics are hard to look at these days and the game is full of gaps and inconsistencies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
This new playthrough I've completely ignored the settlements. I'm not sure what they do other than moving inventory about which I consider tedious and very boring.

Cheated my stats up mostly so maybe it matters there, I dunno. Inventory management is work not game play. All RPGs need to get rid of that crap.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 8266
Anthropoid wrote:
If it is either (a) Fallout Micro-Transactions; or (b) Fallout Pay-to-win, I want no part of it.

If it is Fallout, not too much different from Fallout 4 before they morphed it into a Micro-Transaction marketplace, but with Coop, I'll wait till it is six months or so old and MAYBE check it out. If it has no free modding capacity, I'll not be inclined to purchase.

I reckon there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of us who will approach it about the same way, yet that is probably precisely what Altman (the CEO who calls the shots I guess, a declared Clinton supporter no less and obvious sleaze bag) will tell his studio to do: chase the current trend in monetization.

Fallout 2 was brilliant, Fallout 3 even better, Fallout New Vegas was fine, Fallout 4 was astounding and wonderful though fatally flawed (the whole building system is pointless given the computer opponents are completely incapable of overcoming any defenses and in fact defenses do not matter at all). Fallout 1 with the Fixt mod is a fun game, but exemplary of the somewhat skewed notion of how RNG harshness made for "good gaming" which was the norm back in the day. A true classic, but the graphics are hard to look at these days and the game is full of gaps and inconsistencies.

Yes, I hope it's Fallout Co-op or MMO-Lite done well. I expect it may be Fallout Shelter but with the added ability to enter your world and have a minor impact. The sooner the release date the less likely it will be awesome IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 pm 
Sergeant

C_S wrote:
This new playthrough I've completely ignored the settlements. I'm not sure what they do other than moving inventory about which I consider tedious and very boring.

Cheated my stats up mostly so maybe it matters there, I dunno. Inventory management is work not game play. All RPGs need to get rid of that crap.

I got taken in by the settlement feature. Spent endless hours creating fortresses until I realized it didn't matter. I never finished F4 even though I started multiple characters (stealthy sniper, unarmed, jack of all trades, evil). Haven't played even one second of the DLC yet. Gonna check it out next week during my staycation. Too bad we can't play co-op. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:05 am 

I found that Fallout 3 was a lot more enjoyable with the realism mod that made weapons have realistic damage.

Just in case if anyone of you found that in any of the FPS Fallout games it felt retarded that your AK would sooner break into pieces than kill the guy you're drilling into eye socket magazine after magazine just because your char "isn't great with small weapons".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 pm 
Sergeant

Now we know for sure it's a prequel to the previous games and 4X bigger than F4. Not a revamped Fallout Shelter (good). More to come after Bethesda conference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 am 

I hear from reliable source that it's MMO Survival game.

So it's going to be another Rust bullshit where you get instakilled every 30 seconds by the more experienced camping snipers or so.

I guess they looked at it 3 or so years ago and said "oh, these survival games like Rust are selling like hot cakes! We're going to make one too!"

And 2 years ago the hype started to die and 1 year ago everyone was pretty much fed up with the whole Online Survival genre. And now they're finally catching up with their own implementation of it...

I have zero expectations now. At least if you end up buying it make sure that you make up your mind within the first 1:45. At 2 hour mark you can't get refunded.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm 
Sergeant

Kameolontti wrote:
I hear from reliable source that it's MMO Survival game.

So it's going to be another Rust bullshit where you get instakilled every 30 seconds by the more experienced camping snipers or so.

I guess they looked at it 3 or so years ago and said "oh, these survival games like Rust are selling like hot cakes! We're going to make one too!"

And 2 years ago the hype started to die and 1 year ago everyone was pretty much fed up with the whole Online Survival genre. And now they're finally catching up with their own implementation of it...

I have zero expectations now. At least if you end up buying it make sure that you make up your mind within the first 1:45. At 2 hour mark you can't get refunded.

They said it can also be played completely solo if you want or "softcore" survival. I'm looking forward to playing it co op in West Virginia. The quick release date, 11/14/18, may not bode well. It does seem very Rust-like.

Here's the entire presentation at E3 (can skip to 11:00 for the meat, 12:30 for multiplayer info):

Last edited by CatLover7 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail