It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Red headed stepchild of the Infinaty Engine
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:13 am 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228

The only Infinity Engine game not being Enhanced by BeamDog is IWD2, not sure why, some say the the source code is lost and that may be true, but long ago I saw a Beamdog thread asking who would buy IWD2EE and IIRC the results were negative.

And an article on IWD2 that praises it and suggests a challenging Solo mode:
Quote:
Monday, 2 April 2018
Icewind Dale 2 Walkthrough Guide Best Easy Solo Sorcerer Part I

This is an amazing game... the most underrated of the Infinity Engine entries...

I n t r o d u c t i o n & O v e r v i e w
Index Page for Walkthrough
Where can I get this game? GoG!

Hi guys! And welcome to my 13-part Icewind Dale 2 Sorcerer Solo Guide! I have decided to post this guide because I have often seen people request them on public venues.

Released by Black Isle Studios in 2002, Icewind Dale 2 is a sweeping, six-chapter campaign notable — in keeping with its predecessor, Icewind Dale (1999) — for its full party creation, sprawling dungeon design, and emphasis on linear hack n slash as opposed to open exploration and deep role-playing.

In addition, IWD2 is the only Infinity Engine entry to employ the Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition ruleset (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are all AD&D 2nd Edition-based). In this respect, IWD2 was preceded by Stormfront's Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (the first D&D 3.x game), was contemporary with BioWare's Neverwinter Nights (D&D 3.0) and was followed by Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil (the first D&D 3.5 game). In order to incorporate this more complex ruleset into an antiquated engine (with its origin in Baldur's Gate, four years prior), Black Isle were forced to redesign the user interface — almost from the ground up. You can read about their success in doing that in Part II of my User Interface Evolution series of posts.

Like its predecessor, IWD2 is an aesthetically gorgeous game. Inon Zur's OST, the voicesets, the painted portraits and the pre-rendered backdrops are masterwork. That, of course, is crystal clear to those who have eyes and ears, but many people forget the achievements of IWD2 in regard to reactive questing and exploration, as hinted at in its Targos Prologue and exemplified in the late-game hub, the Severed Hand aka Hand of Seldarine — which I hold as one of the best examples of area design in the genre. Most games lose steam towards the end: IWD2 is strongest at the end.

Overall, I regard IWD2 as not only being the most polished of the Infinity Engine games, but also the one that pushed the then-aging engine to its absolute limits in regards to dungeon design, quest structure, and horde-based combat encounter design. This is where the post-Fallout 2 Black Isle crew (members of which would go on to develop the likes of Mask of the Betrayer) hit its high-point of technical proficiency. And what resulted was an almost perfect — albeit painfully cookie-cutter — D&D campaign.

Is IWD2 as good as Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn? Nope. However, I can tell you that I've played it almost as much by virtue of its ruleset and full party creation/building.

Is it as good as its predecessor, Icewind Dale, then? Overall, I would say "yes" (mainly because of its ruleset, reactivity and ambitiousness), but I think Jeremy Soule's OST is far superior to Inon Zur's, David Ogden Stier's narration is superior to "Aerie's", and the original — at least, before the Heart of Winter expansion; I refer to 1.06 only — is pretty much perfect in its pacing and classic D&D adventuring feel, whereas IWD2 suffers from pacing issues and seems a l'il cheesy at times. Also, the original's Heart of Fury mode is far more difficult than the sequel's. In fact, IWD2's HoF mode is actually much easier than Normal mode (at least in party-based play). That said, this soloing guide will only be covering Normal mode. Speaking of which, the whole point of this post...

S o l o i n g I c e w i n d D a l e 2
(Continued)
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2018/04/Ic ... art-I.html
Are you up to the solo challenge?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Red headed stepchild of the Infinaty Engine
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 13228
For any that are interested in the solo challenge you best buff up the IWD2 game itself.

A good place to start is http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD2/index.php

You'll find game eaze of play mods and lord knows what else.

Don't forget to look at their forum, there's a SP Forum button on the right that takes you directly to IWD2 section.

Profile E-mail