It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Total War Arena
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Is out in Public Beta now. Reportedly no more beta wipes.

Another team game from Wargaming, of WoWS/WoT fame (infamy?).

https://totalwararena.com/en/news/lates ... bruary-22/

Post subject: Re: Total War Arena
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:28 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7152
I've picked up the game and although I've only played PvE I think I might like it!

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:01 pm 
Hair in the soap

Lava wrote:
I've picked up the game and although I've only played PvE I think I might like it!

It's a change. Something fresh.

Doubt I'll stick to it as long as Warships at a time, but I'm a game tourist by nature. Always moving between them, when I'm actually playing anything.

Right now, in Arena's open beta condition, there is a lot of imbalance that needs to be addressed. At Tier 4 and up, things get rather wonky.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm 
Sergeant

I did a couple videos I call "Total War Arena: What the heck is going on?" The videos go over the interface, game play and rewards:

I did these just to give folks an idea of how the game works and whether or not it might by your kind of thing. Personally, I like it.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 am 
Hair in the soap

Lava wrote:
I did a couple videos I call "Total War Arena: What the heck is going on?" The videos go over the interface, game play and rewards:

<..>

I did these just to give folks an idea of how the game works and whether or not it might by your kind of thing. Personally, I like it.

Cool. Saw those on my YT feed earlier, plan to check 'em out.

Steam says I have 193 hours into Total War Rome 2. That's low-balled; probably missing some time. Yet I feel as if I've only scratched the campaign time I could put in. Classical era, favorite wargame era. :ugeek:

I'm wondering how the mid- and late-tier gameplay style will change in Arena.

I've not played since last week, but Tuna has been looking to team up again soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:11 am 
Sergeant

I've watched a couple videos and checked out their web site. Seems at the present it is okay up to about Tier V and then lots of balancing issues start surfacing. So I expect to see lots of patches.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm 
Sergeant

Fought my first PvP game tonight and though it is only Tier 2 you can see a lot more organized and team based play. Since it was my first PvP game, I thought I would record it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:02 am 
Sergeant

I take Alexander into Tier 3 and in this video I fight with my hoplites (a base cap) and then my Theban cavalry have a really good game (5 routed, 4 eliminated, 2 commanders executed and 1 unit nuked).

Alexander has 2 nice abilities... charge and anvil. The anvil holds enemy troops in place and prevents them from escaping. At tier 5 I get a wedge formation which will be quite useful for my cavalry.

I plan to continue up both the hoplite and cavalry tech trees for Alexander and am now almost tier 4.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:08 am 
Sergeant

Back with another video... This time on Barbarian Melee Cavalry.

I'm a real cavalry fan and am trying to grind up the various generals to a level which allows me to use cavalry. The Barbarians, of course, start right from Tier 1 with cavalry and unlike Alexander their cavalry is melee as opposed to spear cavalry. Melee cavalry is far more forgiving as you can, at least up to this point (tier 3), run them around in a blob, while spear cavalry needs to operate in separate formations so they can get the most out of their charges.

The video shows 3 games I played (one loss and 2 victories) and uses the replay feature of Total War Arena. This is a real nice feature which allows you to review the game and see where you can better your play.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:01 pm 
Sergeant

Bought the Premium Roman Auxiliary Cavalry this weekend on sale and though I struggled with them at first, I finally got a good game in. Sticking close and supporting your infantry pays great dividends especially when you can run down lighter units and wipe them out. In this video I take top of the list as we rode to victory.

If only I could do that every game... ;)

Profile E-mail