All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Flash Gordon Pen and Paper RPG
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:45 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4655
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... ash-Gordon

The "Savage World of Flash Gordon RPG" launched this week. I am not terribly familiar with the Savage Worlds RPG system, but *am* intrigued by a Pulpish P&P setting to try to teach the boy to game a little. Was wondering if anyone here is familiar with Savage Worlds?

Post subject: Re: Flash Gordon Pen and Paper RPG
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 15999
sven wrote:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/27/Pinnacle-Entertainment/subcategory/117_29132/The-Savage-World-of-Flash-Gordon

The "Savage World of Flash Gordon RPG" launched this week. I am not terribly familiar with the Savage Worlds RPG system, but *am* intrigued by a Pulpish P&P setting to try to teach the boy to game a little. Was wondering if anyone here is familiar with Savage Worlds?

Yes, I'm familiar with Savage Worlds.

You usually need the core Savage Worlds Deluxe handbook to go along with any setting books. Fortunately the paperback is only around 9-10 dollars. Excellent value. I recall an older setting or two containing the full rules, such as The Savage World Of Solomon Kane, but it's a rarity and I don't think they do it anymore.

The system uses d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12 dice. Those are how each of your stats/skills is rated. You roll the listed die, for the skill in question, plus PCs and the special big bad boss types also roll an additional d6, taking the highest value of the two. The basic requirement to succeed is a roll of 4+ on the highest die. You can get upgraded effects for each additional value of 4 over that gives you a "raise" for additional effects (kinda like a crit). The dice also 'explode', meaning when you roll the highest value on a die, you continue rolling and adding to that value.

It also uses a regular poker card deck for it's Initiative system. Makes keeping track of it easy, and adds the occasional extra event to it. Their Deadlands: Reloaded supernatural/weird-west setting also does some extra things with the deck, such as during pistol duels, and for the 'Huckster' background's spell casting.

It also utilizes "Bennies" to add more player control, and those butt-saving moments when the die rolls aren't cooperating. They recommend using poker chips, or something similar, because they will be given back & forth during play, plus the GM will get some with their tougher monsters. Settings may add more to it, such as in Deadlands Reloaded, where (again IIRC) it has three different colored chips available, which provide a range of power depending on color.

The measurements are all expressed in inches, to make it easier to use miniatures for the action. However, it has a small block of rules telling you how to use them without such props, "theater of the mind" style. Notably including a handy little table giving hard but simple rules on determining how many targets were affected by an AoE's coverage. Myself and others would use that in non-mini sessions of other RPGs, it's so good & quick.

To sum it up, the Savage Worlds system is quick and quite flexible. It's a great RPG system that's a lot of fun.

The biggest complaint I see from GMs is how their big bad sometimes gets quickly murderized by some player's string of lucky exploding dice rolls providing an unforeseen & ridiculously huge amount of bonus damage. So that may require some extra improv on how to keep the peak tension up, but fudging on the spot is part of GM'ing anyway.

I have a two or three settings for it. Once you know the main Savage World Deluxe system, the setting specific stuff is pretty easy to plug in.

This guy did a rundown of the mechanics & terms:

Last edited by NefariousKoel on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm 
Hair in the soap

I have a few settings for it, along with a couple of the generic DIY/plug-in source books (Fantasy & Horror Companions)

The settings are almost all 3rd party additions, so the style & substance may be a bit different for each. I currently own:

Deadlands: Reloaded (supernatural/horror/weird Wild West) - This is the big classic in-house setting from the SW publisher.

Deadlands: Hell On Earth (post-apoc in same alternate Deadlands timeline)

The Savage World Of Solomon Kane (based on RE Howard's series)

Hellfrost (fantasy D&D-ish)

Beasts & Barbarians (Conan-style sword & sorcery)

.. but there are many others out there. I think most of their profit is made from the setting books, so those will obviously be more than the $10 core book.

I've been pretty happy with the content of all those settings. Although I now have the new Conan 2d20 book from Modiphius which beats out Beasts & Barbarians Savage Worlds for that sub-genre.

The setting books usually aren't huge, but SW is light enough that they don't need to be. I did mainly pick up the extra Fantasy and Horror SW source books for the many extra monsters they provided. There is also Sci-Fi and Superhero generic sourcebooks available.

EDIT: I also recall someone released a Space: 1889 version for Savage Worlds not long ago. I never got acquainted with the original Space:1889 (GDW?) rpg, from back in the 80s or so, but I know it had some similarly pulpy themes for Victorian times, and had some devoted followers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 pm 
Hair in the soap

Oh.. another upcoming RPG of the old school pulp sort is for John Carter Of Mars.

https://www.modiphius.com/john-carter.html

Based on the same 2d20 system Modiphius uses for it's recent Conan, Star Trek, and Mutant Chronicles 3e RPGs. I really like the system, but it's a crunchier (more rules) than Savage Worlds to varying degrees. Which could be good or bad depending on preference.

Modiphius makes some really beautiful and wonderfully filled-out RPGs. I have a couple of the above 2d20 games, plus some of their Achtung Cthulhu! books for running Call Of Cthulhu in a WW2 secret ops setting. Great quality stuff.