All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Domionions 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:19 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2577
http://store.steampowered.com/app/72206 ... the_Faith/

got this a couple of day back to keep me busy over the holidays.

picked R´lyeh for my first go as well, after half a day and on the 7th new start proceeded to spread the Dreamlands all over the map, crushing Pelagia, Vanheim, Jotunheim and Ulm on the way.

UI is straight from Dom4, YMMV on spending full price on this when the major change seems to be simultaneous (with some caveats) movement/execution in tactical battles.

Otherwise it´s select new HD textures AFAICT and that´s it. I am a huge fan of the series, the scope and ambition is truly epic.

Would pick turmoil scales again :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Domionions 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:24 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 16590
I've done a few brief starts with Dom5, since it came out.

Have regularly encountered bugs. :| The bug report list is pretty sizable, too. I don't recall Dom4's launch being this buggy.

Been wanting to get a steady single-player game going, but the bug interruptions keep making me shelve it until the next update.. and the next update. I'm sure they'll get most of it worked out in time. :)

Love the Dominions and COE series. So much content!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 pm 
Sergeant

Did not notice any bugs but have not checked the known bugs yet. Lack of documentation is more of a problem, thankfully the Dom inspector has been updated.

The depth of Dominion series is just breathtaking, all those degrees of freedom the game offers! Take this:

Tried to improve on the build, game went well at first but then EA Rus demonstrated that I had not transformed my armies to a proper late-game contender and that the hordes of undead demon ogres I had summoned to bolster my stock demon-ogres might have worked against the drowned-ancient-greek-sailors-ghost-armies (Therodos) were no longer cutting it.

Just looked up the save game, seems the 2nd battle had him at a 4:1 numerical advantage with hordes line infantry.
Damn, I can beat that, or could have, Lanka is much better at sorcery, with a proper spell script the horde of average Magic Resistance barbarians the Rus bring might be panicked.

Shame about the 98% casuality rate for Lanka :lol: Light Bandar Archers killed over a hundred of the bastards though 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 pm 
Hair in the soap

I like checking out other peoples' faction builds & runs in Dominions. So many options. 8-)

Really wish the developers would expand their Conquest of Elysium series to encompass similar amounts of content. Love the extra exploration mixed in, but feel it still needs more variety from game-to-game.

Or, better yet, use all their Dom content to create a very Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup style roguelike RPG. They call COE a bit roguelike, which may be apt in a more Turn-based Strategy genre way, but not so much an RPG one.

Hell, an actual mix of DC:SS' little engine & procedural dungeon creation, with Dominion's gods, factions, soldiers, monsters, spells, etc injected into it would make me moist like a snack cake. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 pm 
Hair in the soap

Many of the reported bugs are probably related to the new "real-time" (probably more finely phased) combat or some of the redone faction stuff.

Although, from what I understand, they used a different code language in Dom5. If that's the case, there are probably more errors than a simple updating of Dom4 would entail.

That Dominions YouTuber has some great topical information on the subject, thanks for linking it. I don't think I've seen his channel before. I just wish he wouldn't smack his tongue after every other sentence. :? I can usually handle the recently developed west coast effeminate male accent he has :lol: , but that big wet mouth smack gets to be like nails on a chalkboard after so many times. Not sure if that's also a west coast thing, but it seems more prevalent too. Hope it's not a regular fixture. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm 
Sergeant

:lol:

The info is indeed great, wasn´t aware of the new mixed-magic-path stacked Bless opportunities.

As to software updates, sometimes keeping an old piece alive is more bother than redoing it from scratch ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:39 pm 
Sergeant

Still looking at Lanka, my way, like my pretender god to roam around and kick butt so:

turned into this:

gives some unique options and summons, can do Flaming Arrows (Light Bandar Archers!), Warriors of Muspelheim,setting your army on f*cking fire ("turning them into red-hued apparitions") :twisted: plus a couple of pretty cool summons with the mixed spheres like Iron Dragon with Earth and Fire, Fields of the Dead for more battlefield inconvenience, maybe call a Lord of Banefires with Death and Fire magic?

8-)

More tasty build taking "Dormant" pretender, I will miss out on my incarnate-only Blesses in that 1st year but then it takes some time to build up sufficient numbers of sacred troops anyway and all those sacred spellcasters should not require the extra strategic mobility (Wind Walker for 1 extra map move, doubling their range right there), Stygian Flesh gives good protection against mundane attacks but that´s mostly aimed at the Asara demon-ogre infantry.

Profile E-mail