It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Company Of Heroes 2 - FREE! for limited time
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Humble Bundle store is giving away free Company of Heroes 2 Steam keys.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/company-of-heroes-2

While supplies last, so you probably better grab it while they still have keys left.

I'm not a big fan of old school RTSes, but it may be worth a look sometime at that price!

Post subject: Re: Company Of Heroes 2 - FREE! for limited time
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:04 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
Funny, I bought this from big discount a year ago and I have clocked in like ~2 hours over the year.

It began with a Soviet campaign and it was Politically Correct as hell. The game mechanics - "here, lasso these three units and run at the enemy" didn't really impress me either. Those were very boring two hours.

It's sad really that even when a game actually manages to get the chance of being tried out it has to sell itself rather quickly these days.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Company Of Heroes 2 - FREE! for limited time
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 18052
Kameolontti wrote:
Funny, I bought this from big discount a year ago and I have clocked in like ~2 hours over the year.

It began with a Soviet campaign and it was Politically Correct as hell. The game mechanics - "here, lasso these three units and run at the enemy" didn't really impress me either. Those were very boring two hours.

It's sad really that even when a game actually manages to get the chance of being tried out it has to sell itself rather quickly these days.

Never played it. Still haven't. But it's free so I'll just add it to the huge stack of unplayed ones I have.

I suspect the developer or publisher has a new RTS coming out soon. Maybe even another sequel of the series. Because some of them have been giving away their older series titles, or related ones, in order to drum up more interest for a new one coming out very soon.

Not sure how much extra business that tactic's been drumming up for them, but they obviously have zero, or very little, overhead for their older games so it obviously doesn't cost them to digitally distribute freebies at this point.

They've also likely passed the point where all the past sales, with increasingly higher discounts, have netted them all the customers who would actually pay for them. So I give them props on realizing that these types of older games aren't earning them anything, and that they should try to use them for promotion of their future stuff. Even if I don't really plan to play most of them, personally.