PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm 
buck private

Reputation points: 9407
Quote:
Wed, 2017-06-07 20:33
kamal
Pathfinder single player RPG
https://neverwintervault.org/forums/gen ... player-rpg
Pathfinder is kickstarting a single player computer RPG. The kickstarter is apparently just to add content to the game, the game will be happening either way.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ow ... -kingmaker (link is external)

Quote:
The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) that was first published in 2009 by Paizo Publishing. It extends and modifies the Revised 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game rules published by Wizards of the Coast under the Open Game License. Pathfinder RPG is intended to be backward-compatible with D&D version 3.5.

The Pathfinder RPG supports Pathfinder adventure paths as well as other works set in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting.
(Continued)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinde ... aying_Game

This isn't DnD 4.0.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 am 
buck private

EUBanana wrote:
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.
"RPG ATM", know what RPG is, but ATM? :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am 
Sergeant Major

abradley wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.
"RPG ATM", know what RPG is, but ATM? :oops:

At the moment. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14634
abradley wrote:

This isn't DnD 4.0.

No. Pathfinder is just D&D 3.5 with a bit better organization of info. The same ruleset used in the Bioware NWN series, for example.

Plus it's not published by Wizards of the Coast, so that's probably a check in the 'pro' column.

The newer PC game Tomb of Annihilation uses a cut-down version of D&D 4.0. The one they use in the D&D board co-operative board game series, which it's a PC port of.

D&D 5 is pretty much the old 1st/2nd edition with a few more modern mechanics added. I gave up on those old rigid things once 3e came out, and actually haven't bothered with D&D since then. So many other fish in the sea. But I'd be interested in a Pathfinder PC rpg.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
buck private

Am Nitpicking as usual.

NWN is DnD 3.0
IWD 2 is DnD 3.0
NWN 2 is DnD 3.5
Temple Of Elementary Evil is DnD 3.5

To heck with it, here's the whole DnD cRPG caboodle ranked best to worse.
https://www.gameskinny.com/b62ku/rankin ... t-to-worst

And there's an independent DnD 3.5 Knights of the chalice 1&2, non DnD that's got some good reviews.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm 
Hair in the soap

The tabletop Pathfinder rules is unofficially nicknamed "D&D 3.75"

From what I've seen, it makes a few very minor changes over D&D 3.5, cleans up the info layout, and adds more content & better artwork.

A Pathfinder game on the PC would have mechanics almost exactly like NWN2. Although I hope they give the tactical side a closer representation, like that in ToEE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 am 
Sergeant Major

NefariousKoel wrote:

From what I've seen, it makes a few very minor changes over D&D 3.5, cleans up the info layout, and adds more content & better artwork.

A Pathfinder game on the PC would have mechanics almost exactly like NWN2. Although I hope they give the tactical side a closer representation, like that in ToEE.

Pathfinder is way way better than 3.5, at least in tabletop, it's more than just minor changes, though it depends on what you deem 'content' I suppose. The base d20 system is the same, though they did simplify some things like skills. The classes in Pathfinder are far more interesting though, lacklustre stuff like paladins or monks got a huge revamp in PF, that's probably the main reason I'd want to see a PF computer game, so you can play a PF paladin instead of the shitty in comparison D&D 3.5 paladin. Not touched any D&D game since PF was released aside from to try it out, and then inevitably turn my nose up at how bland it is.

Depends how much content they port over to any game (witches? inquisitors? qinggong monks?), but even the core classes are huge improvements. You might not really notice in a computer game format though I suspect. Especially if it's real time. if it was more like ToEE, turn based and pretty hard core, then you'd notice quite a lot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm 
Hair in the soap

EUBanana wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:

Pathfinder is way way better than 3.5, at least in tabletop, it's more than just minor changes, though it depends on what you deem 'content' I suppose. The base d20 system is the same, though they did simplify some things like skills. The classes in Pathfinder are far more interesting though, lacklustre stuff like paladins or monks got a huge revamp in PF, that's probably the main reason I'd want to see a PF computer game, so you can play a PF paladin instead of the shitty in comparison D&D 3.5 paladin. Not touched any D&D game since PF was released aside from to try it out, and then inevitably turn my nose up at how bland it is.

Depends how much content they port over to any game (witches? inquisitors? qinggong monks?), but even the core classes are huge improvements. You might not really notice in a computer game format though I suspect. Especially if it's real time. if it was more like ToEE, turn based and pretty hard core, then you'd notice quite a lot.

Good to know. I've not really dug into the Pathfinder rules, despite owning some books for awhile. I did know they tweaked the class features & such. Which was needed.

I also hadn't tried any of the newer D&D versions since v3. When I heard D&D 5 was largely going back to the old 1st & 2nd Edition style, I wasn't going to bother. There are too many good RPG systems out there to be stuck in 30+ year old antiques, and the latest just looks to be a regression.

I made a recent exception, regarding stuff based on early D&D, for picking up 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'. Simply because it has the crazy chaotic magic backlash (a bit WFRP 2-3 style) and tons of tables in it's 70s fantasy-gonzo theme.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
Sergeant Major

I found 5th to be unplayably bland. It consciously apes 2nd edition, a lot of the language is the same (proficiencies, proficiencies being binary "you have it or you don't" stuff). It's fixed a few things in that it's compressed the +0 to +20 bonus you get from levels to a maximum bonus of I think it is +12 for a proficient ability and +6 otherwise, which means the maths works out a bit better. I don't mind any of that.

But a serious lack of interesting abilities, or flavour of any kind, is the price. I might get the urge to play more simplistic games, but then I won't be playing 5th edition but something like Symbaroum maybe. If I want to play a crunchy fantasy game, then there's no reason for me to play 5th, it's simply not as good as PF and it's the same sort of thing.

YMMV, I know 5th has its fans. I read the book and was mildly impressed but after one adventure of it I sold the book on. No thanks.

Profile E-mail