maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14339
Reputation points: 9407
Quote:
Wed, 2017-06-07 20:33
#1
kamal
Pathfinder single player RPG
https://neverwintervault.org/forums/gen ... player-rpg
Pathfinder is kickstarting a single player computer RPG. The kickstarter is apparently just to add content to the game, the game will be happening either way.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ow ... -kingmaker (link is external)


Quote:
The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is a fantasy role-playing game (RPG) that was first published in 2009 by Paizo Publishing. It extends and modifies the Revised 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) game rules published by Wizards of the Coast under the Open Game License. Pathfinder RPG is intended to be backward-compatible with D&D version 3.5.

The Pathfinder RPG supports Pathfinder adventure paths as well as other works set in the Pathfinder Campaign Setting.
(Continued)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinde ... aying_Game


This isn't DnD 4.0.

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10760
Reputation points: 11823
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:28 am 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14339
Reputation points: 9407
EUBanana wrote:
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.
"RPG ATM", know what RPG is, but ATM? :oops:

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10760
Reputation points: 11823
abradley wrote:
EUBanana wrote:
Nice!

Still my fave RPG ATM.
"RPG ATM", know what RPG is, but ATM? :oops:


At the moment. :oops:

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17706
Reputation points: 14634
abradley wrote:

This isn't DnD 4.0.



No. Pathfinder is just D&D 3.5 with a bit better organization of info. The same ruleset used in the Bioware NWN series, for example.

Plus it's not published by Wizards of the Coast, so that's probably a check in the 'pro' column.



The newer PC game Tomb of Annihilation uses a cut-down version of D&D 4.0. The one they use in the D&D board co-operative board game series, which it's a PC port of.


D&D 5 is pretty much the old 1st/2nd edition with a few more modern mechanics added. I gave up on those old rigid things once 3e came out, and actually haven't bothered with D&D since then. So many other fish in the sea. But I'd be interested in a Pathfinder PC rpg.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Offline
buck private
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am
Posts: 14339
Reputation points: 9407
Am Nitpicking as usual.

NWN is DnD 3.0
IWD 2 is DnD 3.0
NWN 2 is DnD 3.5
Temple Of Elementary Evil is DnD 3.5

To heck with it, here's the whole DnD cRPG caboodle ranked best to worse.
https://www.gameskinny.com/b62ku/rankin ... t-to-worst

And there's an independent DnD 3.5 Knights of the chalice 1&2, non DnD that's got some good reviews.

_________________
Even so, never go to a gunfight without a gun and, if you intend to win, never go to a religious war without religion. You'll lose.
tomkratman.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17706
Reputation points: 14634
The tabletop Pathfinder rules is unofficially nicknamed "D&D 3.75"

From what I've seen, it makes a few very minor changes over D&D 3.5, cleans up the info layout, and adds more content & better artwork.

A Pathfinder game on the PC would have mechanics almost exactly like NWN2. Although I hope they give the tactical side a closer representation, like that in ToEE.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 am 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10760
Reputation points: 11823
NefariousKoel wrote:
The tabletop Pathfinder rules is unofficially nicknamed "D&D 3.75"

From what I've seen, it makes a few very minor changes over D&D 3.5, cleans up the info layout, and adds more content & better artwork.

A Pathfinder game on the PC would have mechanics almost exactly like NWN2. Although I hope they give the tactical side a closer representation, like that in ToEE.


Pathfinder is way way better than 3.5, at least in tabletop, it's more than just minor changes, though it depends on what you deem 'content' I suppose. The base d20 system is the same, though they did simplify some things like skills. The classes in Pathfinder are far more interesting though, lacklustre stuff like paladins or monks got a huge revamp in PF, that's probably the main reason I'd want to see a PF computer game, so you can play a PF paladin instead of the shitty in comparison D&D 3.5 paladin. Not touched any D&D game since PF was released aside from to try it out, and then inevitably turn my nose up at how bland it is.

Depends how much content they port over to any game (witches? inquisitors? qinggong monks?), but even the core classes are huge improvements. You might not really notice in a computer game format though I suspect. Especially if it's real time. if it was more like ToEE, turn based and pretty hard core, then you'd notice quite a lot.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17706
Reputation points: 14634
EUBanana wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
The tabletop Pathfinder rules is unofficially nicknamed "D&D 3.75"

From what I've seen, it makes a few very minor changes over D&D 3.5, cleans up the info layout, and adds more content & better artwork.

A Pathfinder game on the PC would have mechanics almost exactly like NWN2. Although I hope they give the tactical side a closer representation, like that in ToEE.


Pathfinder is way way better than 3.5, at least in tabletop, it's more than just minor changes, though it depends on what you deem 'content' I suppose. The base d20 system is the same, though they did simplify some things like skills. The classes in Pathfinder are far more interesting though, lacklustre stuff like paladins or monks got a huge revamp in PF, that's probably the main reason I'd want to see a PF computer game, so you can play a PF paladin instead of the shitty in comparison D&D 3.5 paladin. Not touched any D&D game since PF was released aside from to try it out, and then inevitably turn my nose up at how bland it is.

Depends how much content they port over to any game (witches? inquisitors? qinggong monks?), but even the core classes are huge improvements. You might not really notice in a computer game format though I suspect. Especially if it's real time. if it was more like ToEE, turn based and pretty hard core, then you'd notice quite a lot.



Good to know. I've not really dug into the Pathfinder rules, despite owning some books for awhile. I did know they tweaked the class features & such. Which was needed.

I also hadn't tried any of the newer D&D versions since v3. When I heard D&D 5 was largely going back to the old 1st & 2nd Edition style, I wasn't going to bother. There are too many good RPG systems out there to be stuck in 30+ year old antiques, and the latest just looks to be a regression.

I made a recent exception, regarding stuff based on early D&D, for picking up 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'. Simply because it has the crazy chaotic magic backlash (a bit WFRP 2-3 style) and tons of tables in it's 70s fantasy-gonzo theme.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pathfinder single player cRPG
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
Offline
Sergeant Major

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 10760
Reputation points: 11823
I found 5th to be unplayably bland. It consciously apes 2nd edition, a lot of the language is the same (proficiencies, proficiencies being binary "you have it or you don't" stuff). It's fixed a few things in that it's compressed the +0 to +20 bonus you get from levels to a maximum bonus of I think it is +12 for a proficient ability and +6 otherwise, which means the maths works out a bit better. I don't mind any of that.

But a serious lack of interesting abilities, or flavour of any kind, is the price. I might get the urge to play more simplistic games, but then I won't be playing 5th edition but something like Symbaroum maybe. If I want to play a crunchy fantasy game, then there's no reason for me to play 5th, it's simply not as good as PF and it's the same sort of thing.

YMMV, I know 5th has its fans. I read the book and was mildly impressed but after one adventure of it I sold the book on. No thanks.

_________________
“The gap in EU finances arising from the United Kingdom’s withdrawal and from the financing needs of new priorities need to be clearly acknowledged.” - Mario Monti


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group