It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Witcher 3 GotY - Big Sale
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:36 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14050
GOG has their Witcher 3 game of the year edition on sale for $20.

The GotY edition includes all the DLC and such.

Supposed to be a pretty amazing open world RPG. Some kind of Big Deal™. I think some of you played previous versions.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_ ... ar_edition

Not sure how long the sale will last. ??

Post subject: Re: Witcher 3 GotY - Big Sale
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
I thought Witcher 2 quite railroady, though high adventure, it was just slightly to teen for me. I admit to doing two sword style in my larping days, then archer which is the bane of those shieldless types.

Didn´t Witcher 2 have that scene early where you get to peek at some duchess getting "tortured" half-nekkid in some sort of SM dungeon? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm 
Hair in the soap

Scharfschütze wrote:
I thought Witcher 2 quite railroady, though high adventure, it was just slightly to teen for me. I admit to doing two sword style in my larping days, then archer which is the bane of those shieldless types.

Didn´t Witcher 2 have that scene early where you get to peek at some duchess getting "tortured" half-nekkid in some sort of SM dungeon? :D

Pretty sure there is nudity throughout the whole series.

Witcher 3 is apparently open world, and not so railroaded as the previous ones. Seen some reviewers say they like it more than Skyrim.

I've only ever picked up the Witcher series on big sales like this. The first was interesting, but the control scheme was odd so I didn't get a lot of time into it. Grabbed the second one for under five dollars, but never got around to it. I'll likely play #3, however, since it's much less linear and has received good word of mouth on forums.

As for CDProjekt Red's games, I'm just looking forward to their upcoming RPG based on the old tabletop Cyberpunk 2020 (or whatever year they'll be using now), with this engine. Been in development for years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14671
I really liked Witcher 3 but for some reason it never had the same pull as Skyrim for me.

I've played it a few times and kinda got into it but grinding for better equipment and so just didn't quite get that sort of hold of me. Then again it could be that I was very busy at the time and my playing was very sporadic so the immersion was always broken by real-life getting in the way so I kinda decided to put it on hold waiting for a time when I can just dive in fully and have a go at it as opposed to doing the odd hour every now and then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 am 
Hair in the soap

Unfortunately, Skyrim gives me slowly increasing motion sickness. I can't play it very long.

Pretty sure it's largely due to the camera view being too close to the ground. Expanding the FOV helps play longer. But running, and especially moving the camera around to scan the ground for loot, makes me ill because it looks like my view is about 2 feet off the ground the whole time and moving quickly. *blech* :?

Starting to believe some of these 3D games' views were made by short-sighted pygmies with tunnel vision.

Hoping Witcher 3 isn't the same way. Can already tell I need to turn off the fuzzy "witcher view" thing, but there's an easy option for it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:20 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14323
I hated witcher 2 so much that I didn't buy witcher 3 for a while. But then I read the fantastic reviews and bought.

What I hated about witcher 2 was the maps sucked, it was impossible to navigate and I hate that. I've made enough threads bitching about poor navigation in games. Don't make me fight the interface, the map, and the enemies. Witcher 3 corrected this. The game is outstanding. It was Game of the Year in a lot of venues. 20 beans is a steal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14671
NefariousKoel wrote:
Unfortunately, Skyrim gives me slowly increasing motion sickness. I can't play it very long.

Pretty sure it's largely due to the camera view being too close to the ground. Expanding the FOV helps play longer. But running, and especially moving the camera around to scan the ground for loot, makes me ill because it looks like my view is about 2 feet off the ground the whole time and moving quickly. *blech* :?

Starting to believe some of these 3D games' views were made by short-sighted pygmies with tunnel vision.

Hoping Witcher 3 isn't the same way. Can already tell I need to turn off the fuzzy "witcher view" thing, but there's an easy option for it.

I do have great vision and I'm not the shortest guy. There are many things that can go wrong with 3D, that's for sure. The monitor needed to be at right distance, the FOV needed to respond to that distance and so. On PC you can often modify these things and sometimes there are mods for it, as for the monitor setup, you can arrange it physically yourself and if you need to move it further away you should get a bigger monitor.

VR has the additional problem of where your eyes focus at different length than at which the object is presented as being, say, eyes focus at 10 inch distance and the object appears 10 feet away - this causes migraine for some people due to conflict in the range finding and lense focusing system.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:11 am 
Hair in the soap

Kameolontti wrote:

VR has the additional problem of where your eyes focus at different length than at which the object is presented as being, say, eyes focus at 10 inch distance and the object appears 10 feet away - this causes migraine for some people due to conflict in the range finding and lense focusing system.

That disconnect is essentially how all motion sickness happens.

The two different parts of your brain are providing different inputs that makes it believe you must be sick or drugged and need to purge. When your motion and your views don't sync up properly.

3D video game sickness is the opposite of stuff like sea sickness. Instead of the motion not lining up with what you see, it's what you see that doesn't line up with your non-motion.

I don't get it from all 3D games. I can do FPSes like ARMA or Red Orchestra 2 and not have an issue at all. It's when the camera viewpoint or the FOV are way off from what I normally perceive when I'm moving IRL. In games like Skyrim, it looks like I'm running on my hands & knees at impossible speeds. Minus peripheral vision, and with my face near the ground. :|

The worst example was my attempt at one of the Mass Effect games. Gave me both a migraine and sickening nausea.