It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Total War: Arena
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Apparently Waramging.net is going to be putting out another MMOA.

This time it's a Total War themed one, with Greco-Roman era units (will open with Greek, Roman, and Celt options). In limited beta right now.

10v10, with each player controlling 3 units and attached commander. Was worried it'd be a ridiculous click-fest, but only having three to herd around doesn't sound quite as bad.

I wonder if, since WG is running it, our WoWs premium time will also apply to this one, like it does with it's others (World of Warplanes, World of Tanks). It may be different since they've obviously partnered up with a different developer/publisher.

https://totalwararena.com/en/about-game/

Destraex posted some of his in-game screenshots over at Grogheads forum:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20352.0

Post subject: Re: Total War: Arena
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:46 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
This is absolutely great for organizing events and running your own campaigns with each side actually being able to have things like a general and sub-commanders. If it supports setting up your own custom battles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 pm 
Hair in the soap

Kameolontti wrote:
This is absolutely great for organizing events and running your own campaigns with each side actually being able to have things like a general and sub-commanders. If it supports setting up your own custom battles.

It doesn't have campaigns.

It's basically World of Warships/Tanks in Total War real-time battle style.

You level-up & equip your general, and his three units, over time. It's a massively multi-player online team arena game, like those mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:59 am 

NefariousKoel wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:

It doesn't have campaigns.

It's basically World of Warships/Tanks in Total War real-time battle style.

You level-up & equip your general, and his three units, over time. It's a massively multi-player online team arena game, like those mentioned.

So you can't set up custom armies with custom costs? Bummer.

I was already getting excited about the prospect of having your own unofficial metagame such as Punic War campaigns or whatever where you kept count of reinforcements and losses by pen between the battles and set up armies to reflect the campaign progress or so.

But if it's another "unlock light cavalry -6,500 florins" then I think I'll pass. I didn't really get into the other MMO games they had. The grind really blows out of proportion, you want to ease it by spending money but spending money doesn't do a thing, it's just more of the same. Not my cup of tea.

But a game with some kind of meta campaign, logistics and such, that I'd love to see. No doubt this one will find it's fans too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 pm 
Hair in the soap

Kameolontti wrote:
But if it's another "unlock light cavalry -6,500 florins" then I think I'll pass. I didn't really get into the other MMO games they had. The grind really blows out of proportion, you want to ease it by spending money but spending money doesn't do a thing, it's just more of the same. Not my cup of tea.

I absolutely understand where people are coming from, regarding these MMOAs. I'm still surprised I play them so much. There must be some serious rat-brain cheese reward chemicals firing off in my brain to keep doing it.

Although it's certainly a love-hate relationship for me. I'll be having fun one second, and cursing the game in the next. And I normally despise roller-coaster emotional swings. Hrmm.. maybe it's the video game equivalent of the really hot girlfriend who's a self-centered bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am 

NefariousKoel wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:

I absolutely understand where people are coming from, regarding these MMOAs. I'm still surprised I play them so much. There must be some serious rat-brain cheese reward chemicals firing off in my brain to keep doing it.

Although it's certainly a love-hate relationship for me. I'll be having fun one second, and cursing the game in the next. And I normally despise roller-coaster emotional swings. Hrmm.. maybe it's the video game equivalent of the really hot girlfriend who's a self-centered bitch.

Well, humans don't really crave for Nirvana. What they want is to feel emotions. Game that invokes emotions is capable of doing so because you care. You wouldn't care if it wasn't a good game.

A good game isn't a game that doesn't invoke emotions. Games that don't evoke emotions are bland and you don't really return to them.

Profile E-mail