It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Sniper Elite 4, or: Would you like to try some Crack Cocaine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
Maybe it is just me . . . I've always loved playing a sneaky sniper type in any FPS / combat sort of game: Oblivion, Skyrim, Arma . . . every game of this type I can think of.

Saw the game in a Pewdiepie video back when it came out in Jan/Feb and it was like $60. Given I'm an unemployed programmer hobbyist slacker, I put it on my wishlist and waited. Lo and behold a couple days ago . . . actually almost a week ago! It went on 50% off.

The damn download took like two days off and on, but I finally was able to play it on Monday and this week has been a blur of heads exploding and Nazi facial expressions of agony and death.

IMO, this is just about as good as it gets. The video speaks for itself, however the games two strongest features: 1) The achievement/challenge/skill/upgrade advancement system combined with the ingeniuously designed maps and good computer opponents makes playing and replaying the same maps fun. I must have replayed this San Celini map 10 times by now (as well as the three that come after it more than twice each too). (2) the adjustable difficulty settings (including a custom setting) allows you to play at your level and to keep upping the challenge as your skills improve. I'm now playing on a modified version of the highest difficulty level although I initially started out on "Hard," which is about three notches below the very top.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sniper Elite 4, or: Would you like to try some Crack Coc
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
ADDIT: and if that video looks a bit ridiculous, how easy he is sneaking around killing them from the bushes . . . in my experience playing on "Hard," no way you could pull that off. They'd be on to you like stink on shit. Definitely on the two highest difficulty levels there is no way you could play that way.

This is the other thing about the game: the "difficulty" as it is reflected in the "AI" really seems to involve different types of opponents, and no simply "the same dumb computer opponents but beefed up to be bullet sponges."

On the hardest difficulty, once they become alerted, they take a long time to go unalerted and some soldiers seem to go permanently on "patrol" mode. They are also much quicker to react, much more observant, and quite a bit tougher in terms of damage. On the hardest setting, a head or heart or liver shot is pretty much required to kill in one shot. Lung, stomach and intestine will often knock them down, but they might still fight back and might or might not die of bleed out. Grazing wounds that don't hit a vital organ generally will not kill, though they will often stagger/cause them to stop and drop, which then allows for additional shots. Arteries in the extremities are not represented in the game sadly, though I have often seen kills shots as a result of severing the femur and in one case a shot I took at an ankle with the intent to cause a wound [to lure out his buddies]. So, while it is not a truly "perfect" representation of how gunshot wounds work in tactical combat, it is the most detailed I've ever seen. Explosions too. Basically, it all works pretty much how you would expect it to work in real life. You can even kill a guy by hitting a grenade on his LBE.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail