maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate General: civil war
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3823
C_S wrote:
Just into 1863 this is the farthest I've gotten.

Fredricksburg was a real close run thing. 45k lost vs the rebs 20k. The briefing said: "You've got to just take this uh 'impregnable' hill"... and it's gonna suck. It did. But got a win there. Poor third corps.. Those guys always get the shit missions. Made a shitload of effort to breach the reb's right - but over a division was stopped cold there by one regiment in breastworks. 3 cannon batteries hammering the whole time, at least half a dozen massed assaults. Nothin.

Far as I know it's 2018 and that regiment is still holding those breastworks :lol:

If you are playing Yanks, you must not....NOT....attack Marye's Heights. Pull any troops there to the south side of the town where they will be able to move south towards Telegraph Road objective. Focus all attacks on Telegraph Road and Prospect Hill and you will score the win. Play it correctly and you can win battle with fewer casualties than CS.....so to speak :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 17020
A bit off topic.

About to fight at Chancellorsville next.

I've begun reading about the RL battles before playing them. Not for game tips but for historical realities and context. The hows and the whys etc; of what both armies lost, what they were trying to accomplish. Quite interesting. It strikes me the US Civil war, to historians who dig through original documents, is probably very well documented. Troops deployed and casualty numbers accounted by both sides when compared and justified gives a fairly accurate picture of what happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6902
Indeed... the ACW had a huge effect on all Americans.

I watched one particular video about how it changed Americans view of death and in the aftermath, the effort to properly identify and bury the dead. It is almost 2 hours long... and sad. But it is well worth the watch:

There is some politics in the video but it is very subdued and is more concerned on how american's felt about the huge problem that they encountered in giving folks a proper resting place.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am 
First Sergeant

I don't have the dexterity to control dedicated Cav and skirmishers, plus I don't want to take up a spot where I could instead have an inf brigade. I have artillery battery attached to each division, other than that it's all infantry.

Since starting the new yankee campaign I started splitting off skirms from some inf units. I've learned that is effective, now I split off skirm from all of im. It absorbs casualties and I can also flood the enemy flanks to recconoiter, push im, and attack/distract their artillery. In a defensive scenario they slow the enemy down.

I'm playing on 'easy'. At harder levels I'd prolly have to master cav usage. It's a juggling act.

This is a fine game that gives the user his money worth. Good gaming. I've paid $59.99 for games no where near as good and replayable as this one is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:25 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 17050
C_S wrote:
A bit off topic.

About to fight at Chancellorsville next.

I've begun reading about the RL battles before playing them. Not for game tips but for historical realities and context. The hows and the whys etc; of what both armies lost, what they were trying to accomplish. Quite interesting. It strikes me the US Civil war, to historians who dig through original documents, is probably very well documented. Troops deployed and casualty numbers accounted by both sides when compared and justified gives a fairly accurate picture of what happened.

Definitely nothing like fighting someone such as the Soviets who at one time pretend that the whole war never actually took place and at another time have 5 parallel different stories going on about what really took place... :lol:

Just saying "casualty estimate: 200-800,000 men", that's the kind of stuff you find when dealing with certain countries like Soviet Union. Casualties are something between "we weren't actually involved" to "we killed every enemy three times without suffering a casualty" to "there was no one left alive to take count".

Definitely refreshing to read about a war where both sides have pretty good Western standards for trying to reasonably honestly write down what they are thinking, what they want to do and then later what went down and how.

Weird, almost as if they were thinking that the people coming after them could learn from their mistakes and all as opposed to just saying "oh, yea, we didn't make any mistakes because we're so glorious that we don't".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 pm 
First Sergeant

Regarding organizing an army, from what I've read there should be corps assets in reality. At least artillery. Mobile stuff too to hand. The game doesn't model that. The player can't form corps assets b/c the game deploys units arbitrarily. You have to assume every division deployed is an RCT (no parent formation).

I really like this game. Have a lot of fun organizing my army, and a lot of fun playing too; this game is fun. There could be improvement.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 am 
Sergeant

C_S wrote:
I don't have the dexterity to control dedicated Cav and skirmishers, plus I don't want to take up a spot where I could instead have an inf brigade. I have artillery battery attached to each division, other than that it's all infantry.

Once you have 5 brigades per division, go with 2 batteries of artillery. Yankee artillery is lethal. I especially like the 10pdr Ordnance, the 20pdr Howitzer and the 20pdr Parrot. If you have to, use your reputation points to get the 20pdr Howitzer as soon as possible. That gun using canister wrecks havoc.

I don't use a lot of Cavalry or skirmisher dedicated units either. But having some cavalry around pays off in the big battles when the AI offers up their supply units for capture.

I've played over 500 hours of the game and have to say it is one of the best I have ever played. The amount of effort put to making that game (including historical battles, custom battles and campaigns) is really extraordinary.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:50 am 
Sergeant

I re-started by Legendary campaign after running out of gas at Chancellorsville.

Here is probably one of my best battles... "The Slaughter in the Water" at Gaines Mill:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm 
First Sergeant

Finished the yankee capaign on easy. At Richmond battle it was 46k jonny rebs vs 192k yankees. So it was going to be a close run thing.. :twisted:

By day 2 or 3 it was 1,500 rebs left vs the massive balance of CSLF battlegroup. Outnumbered 800:1 about :lol:

I just ordered all my guys to move forward and ran over im. It was glorious 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:53 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15050
C_S wrote:
Finished the yankee capaign on easy. At Richmond battle it was 46k jonny rebs vs 192k yankees. So it was going to be a close run thing.. :twisted:

By day 2 or 3 it was 1,500 rebs left vs the massive balance of CSLF battlegroup. Outnumbered 800:1 about :lol:

I just ordered all my guys to move forward and ran over im. It was glorious 8-)

Sounds like an American version of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shiroyama

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next