maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate General: civil war
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3728
C_S wrote:
I've discovered that equipping every regiment w/ the latest gear isn't very cost effective.

Yep.

With the exception of the artillery most of the lads just get a plain old rifle.

After finally wining Shiloh last night (3rd try), I discovered a couple important lessons. Always detach skirmishers and put your artillery on hold fire until you need it (at least in the big battles to make sure you have enough ammo). The skirmishers gave me much more room to breath and took a lot of pressure off from continuous AI charges. Allowed me to maneuver units into flanking positions and wreck havoc on them.

My folks got pretty trashed though and I lost a few regiments and an artillery battery. But when I got back to Camp, at least 2 of my Colonels had been promoted to General and 6 new regiments had become veterans.

I'm still not sure about Cavalry. At this level they don't seem worth bringing. Perhaps later down the road.

Fun (and sometimes frustrating) game

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
Isn't US Civil War already approaching within the era in which cavalry has lost much of it's combat effectiveness and is starting to increasingly be best used as fast moving infantry - 'mobile infantry'. Very, very useful but not very effective for charging.

Though I suppose it still could be used for charging if you had sufficient mass of horses and the enemy was foolish enough to spread his lines too thin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Location: not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Reputation points: 7360
Cavalry in the ACW was best used for scouting enemy forces and screening your own and raiding. There were actually instances in regimental reports of infantry forming squares early in the war and for a while the Union Army of the Potomac actually had a unit of Lancers, which you can guess didn't last long. Only at the end of the war did cavalry play a major part with Sheridan's forces in the Shenandoah. Stuart got a lot of publicity but his biggest impact was from screening the ANV and keeping the Union forces uninformed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 am 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
I was hesitant to purchase UG: Civil War as I was not thrilled with UG: Gettysburg. After reading through this thread and checking out youtube postings by historicalwargamer, I took the leap. Have only played a few hours of the campaign to get my feet wet, but the mechanics are much improved. Also like the units carry over and replenishment/builds.

Regarding cavalry in game, while best use appears to be scouting, if one can "quietly" get behind enemy lines, particularly screened by woods, they can very effectively attack and disrupt artillery batteries. Against infantry they spend more time retreating than accomplishing anything.

The last great cavalry battle during the Civil War was in June 1863 at Brandy Station, during the Gettysburg campaign as Lee's army moved north. Approximately 20,500 troops engaged (9500 under Stuart; 11000 under Pleasonton). The most important result from the battle was the Union forces gave as good as they got and the South dominance in that space was ended. While the battle site is now mostly private land, but it is still a nice visit as there has not been a lot of building. You can drive a road along Fleetwood Hill where most of the day's big actions took place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 am 
Sergeant

Yep,

All historically correct concerning cavalry during the ACW.

In this game, however, the maps aren't really big enough to need scouting and reconnaissance. Since the battles are scripted, you more or less know what is out there, though every now and then you can get a nasty surprise.

Depending on your armament, cavalry, like dragoons of the past, are quite good as mobile skirmishers. And they also aren't bad at charging skirmishers, artillery and supply wagons as well. Good dragoon kit, though, is pretty expensive.

I found this steam guide which not only is a nice overview of all the battles, but also presents all the cool RPG aspects of the game. It's a damn good guide to be quite honest. He is playing the game on easy.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =803623872

At the present I'm preparing my Corps for Malvern Hill.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:32 am 
Sergeant

Just finished the South Mountain Battle and had to play it 3 times before I could figure out how to win. :o

I understand the designer wanted the Campaign to be hard and it is. Which I find very refreshing.

Next up Antietam. OMG!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:13 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
Lava wrote:
Just finished the South Mountain Battle and had to play it 3 times before I could figure out how to win. :o

I understand the designer wanted the Campaign to be hard and it is. Which I find very refreshing.

Next up Antietam. OMG!

Can't get the feeling of achievement without being challenged!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 pm 
Corporal

Location: Gettysburg, PA...9PM July 1, 1863..saving the Union army
Reputation points: 3485
Reporting that I am sold on this game. Played the Confederate campaign to where I am now prepared for Malvern Hill with 2 corps of three infantry brigades and one artillery brigade per division (15- 24 guns per). Of course, Hancock is commander of 1st Corp, though he would probably roll over in his grave if he knew he was wearing gray. Based on the historic battlefield and equipment, not anticipating my first foray will go at all well if required to attack "that hill". Regarding the game, the mechanics of battle management has some minor irritants (organized units at corp, div, and brigade cannot be commanded by their leader to specific actions such as advance via roads or charge as with SOW), but overall gameplay is good. Army management, once you learn the basics, is actually not only challenging but interesting in that you must weigh potential improvements in reload times, accuracy and damage with cost. This is definitely not UG: Gettysburg. And looking forward to beginning again at higher difficulty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 am 
Sergeant

HancockTheSuperb wrote:
Regarding the game, the mechanics of battle management has some minor irritants (organized units at corp, div, and brigade cannot be commanded by their leader to specific actions such as advance via roads or charge as with SOW), but overall gameplay is good.

True enough, SOW has a much more sophisticated command system.

However you can either "rope" of choose a Corps or Division and give them an order to form a battle line. It is a good way to start off many times as it gives you an idea of how your folks will space on the map or where you are heading.

I just finished playing Chickamauga, which was far and away the most difficult battle I have played to date. I played the damn thing 5 times, 2 losses and 3 draws. I could see the route to victory, but always just failed getting there. Oh well... on to Cold Harbor... and the end of the Federal campaign.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:42 am 
Sergeant

So I went back once again to Chickamuaga... In my last game I really thought I had it... it was that close.

But then as I started playing it for the 6th time, it dawned on me what was necessary to do win and I won a decisive victory.

Gotta tell you this is probably the definitive Civil War wargame I have ever played. Very well programmed and the guy who designed that battle... well Napoleon would have approved.

Fucking awesome game.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next