It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Ultimate General: civil war
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:05 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 14073
The gameplay is real time and nothing like panzer general, the campaign flows like panzer general. Between battles you can upgrade, replace commanders, replace unfortunate losses, buy weapons, so on. So you protect your army, expand it, beef it up w/ better gear over time. I like that.

Sort of RPG b/c u can upgrade yourself as well between battles w/ several options. "command' give u ability to command a division, then a corps, then 2 corps, expand how many regiments/division/how many men per regiment, so on. "political' gives you more 'tout' w/ getting more ppl and gear. "logistics" starts your battlegroup out w/ more ammunition. There's about 8 options I think.

Regiments gain experience. It costs to replace their losses, and buy newer weapons is quite expensive. Worth it 8-)

You get leaders and can assign them to whatever command. I have a crack regiment, I named them "probably drunk" and placed General Grant in charge of them. I keep those guys in reserve and move them toward potential threats; I don't let those guys get scuffed up unless I have to. Obviously General Grant should be in charge of a division. I only have 1 corps right now so division is as high as I could promote im if I wanted. For now I like im where he is, running a very badassed regiment, waiting for a management position. I'll put im in charge of second corps when I can expand to it.

The gameplay is pretty good. I think I enjoy putzing around at the barracks more. There's a lot of ways to adjust your army.

Anyway, I give this game 2 thumbs up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50252 ... Civil_War/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ultimate General: civil war
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7388
It's on my Steam wishlist but I just can't quite click the purchase button yet. I want to let it cook a little while longer. Looks quite promising, though, and they've made some great changes since Alpha.

The bedfellows politics made are never strange. It only seems that way to those who have not watched the courtship.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 am 
First Sergeant

This game forces me to play like I usually don't. I like small groups of elite b/c I'm lazy, less crap to manage to get r done.

I've discovered that equipping every regiment w/ the latest gear isn't very cost effective. B/c when they get killed it's quite expensive to replace. If I build a new regiment w/ weaponry to hand (captured or purchased) it costs 2,000 beans. A dollar per man. If I have to buy them weapons it's a fortune! Men are cheap, their gear is expensive!

The key is having more ppl even if they have crappy rifles is a good thing to hand. When everyone's out of ammo and exhausted - having a few thousand more guys show up all smiley faced can turn the tide.

I'm having a lot of fun w/ this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:01 pm 
First Sergeant

For crying out loud. At the beginning of a battle there's options of where to put ur ppl. In this battle one spot was labeled 'vanguard', I reckon that's the first ppl who spot and fall back some. NOPE. They're taking the brunt of all this and it's 3rd corps, still being formed - it's barely a division and a half! These guys are trainees w/ farmer rifles. And one of the regiment commanders is Latimer who has proved himself a coward! After this battle, that we're going to lose, I'm going to fire im. I doubt he'll get imself killed unless his own troops shoot im.

I don't know if this things over or not, I have 1 seriously bad ass corps, and another pretty good one. These guys are marching this way and should show up presently. They need to hurry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
First Sergeant

Alright then. I started over and I hope managed my army more smartly.

Going into second Bull Run! :x I lost this one last time so badly that I decided to start a new game :oops:

order of battle:

1st Corps under Brigadier General Chicken_Salad. Why haven't I been promoted yet!

3 divisions at full strength, consisting of 5 regiments each.

30,000 men 8-)

2nd Corps under Major General MCclellan.

3 divisions, 2 of which are at full strength consisting of 5 regiments. 1 of which isn't quite filled out yet so it goes.

27,935 men. That's not too bad.

Almost 60k ppl!

No artillery or cav this time. No battlegroup. Just a lot of ppl w/ a lot of guns.

This time I got this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:37 am 
First Sergeant

8,533 casualties. gesh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:21 am 
First Sergeant

Going through my army. Lost a lot of ppl. 8.5k of 60k doesn't seem a complete disastrous loss of life on paper.....ya it does doesn't it.

Most of im were my best ppl and a lot of good commanders. Very unfortunate.

"Need more ppl, more guns, more money

ur umble and faithful servant,
C_S"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3603
It looks interesting to me.

May give it a whirl after my insanity with Hearts of Iron 4 passes...

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 3603
Bought it and have to say I do enjoy the RPG aspects of the game. All leaders, not just yourself earn upgrades as do your infantry.

The Barracks is quite fun, but I try to keep my aim clear. Build solid divisions backed up by good artillery. I'm finding that artillery is the real killer and they are the ones who received the first weapons upgrade.

Just finished 1st Bull Run with 3 victories in a row now (after many attempts) and am starting to get the feel for it. I noticed that since the maximum strength of my divisions is 1500 men, whenever things get too hot, I grab one of the friendly AI divisions at 2,000 men, and stuff them in the breach. Seems to help me to maintain my Corps in fairly good condition by the end of the battle.

Will have to see how it goes, but this is a pretty cool game.

Too bad there is no multi-player.

"Because in America, we don't worship Government; we worship God." - Donald Trump

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:31 pm 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
That looks like a fun game! I want it!

Profile E-mail