maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17418
Reputation points: 14050
50% Off DCS Summer Sale

(most modules & maps - except WW2 stuff and Mirage 2k)


https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/


Running until the morning of the 24th.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 am 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7204
Reputation points: 14671
Love blasting those Su-27s out from the sky with the F-15c 8-)

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17418
Reputation points: 14050
Kameolontti wrote:
Love blasting those Su-27s out from the sky with the F-15c 8-)


SPAMRAAM ftw!


I picked up the F-5E in the sale awhile back.


-

I'd do better at WVR, in DCS 1.5, if the graphics' lighting system was better. It's washed-out shit.

Often can't keep sight of a very close enemy aircraft when it passes the horizon, or any other color/contrast transition. Just disappears because the aircraft model's skin doesn't reflect much of shit, and is actually shown as a flat dark gray or black at many angles. And everything is dark as shit already. :roll:

I can actually keep sight of specks which are past 2-3nm better than anything less than one, in such cases.


Hope DCS 2.0, with it's new lighting system, is noticeably better. I doubt it will be up to what it needs to be, but improvements are welcome.


Still the best modern sim out there. Not really any new-ish ones though.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:40 pm 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:47 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Neenah
Reputation points: 740
I always use MiG-25s for practice targets. Just give them IR missiles, though if you're in burner, they'll launch from the front.

Do you use padlock view much Nef? I pretty much live there in a fight.

The F-5 is probably one of the more user-friendly planes to use, though I'm having trouble learning to use its radar. Need that for the gunsight and I'd like a quick boresight mode to use it in.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17418
Reputation points: 14050
Zad Fnark wrote:
I always use MiG-25s for practice targets. Just give them IR missiles, though if you're in burner, they'll launch from the front.

Do you use padlock view much Nef? I pretty much live there in a fight.



I use TrackIR.

Also mostly do multi-player "Air Quake". I think padlock is usually turned off on most of the servers I've frequented.

Quote:

The F-5 is probably one of the more user-friendly planes to use, though I'm having trouble learning to use its radar. Need that for the gunsight and I'd like a quick boresight mode to use it in.


Looks fairly straightforward. And no radar-guided AAMs, or fancy targeting pod, so that cuts down on the learnin' required.

I thought the Mirage 2000 was fairly easy too. Despite having SARH missiles and slightly different cockpit symbology & terminology than US planes.

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:45 pm 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:47 pm
Posts: 536
Location: Neenah
Reputation points: 740
I've got the Viggen, and it's totally different from US cockpit standards. It'll take some time to figure out.

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17418
Reputation points: 14050
Zad Fnark wrote:
I've got the Viggen, and it's totally different from US cockpit standards. It'll take some time to figure out.



At least the M2000 had easily recognizable cockpit bits. Despite the terms being a bit different, the form & functions are still mostly the same as US aircraft.

The Viggen, with it's weird HUD symbology and penchant for rotary switches, is definitely a bit odd. In function, at least. Hell.. the Su-27 and MiG-29 may be more familiar than der Viggen. :lol:

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7204
Reputation points: 14671
Track-IR etc. are in a way better at the moment than VR headsets. The Screen-Door Effect is horrible and the resolution is so crappy that you have to facehug the displays to make out what they're saying. Nevermind the fanboys who claim it isn't an issue, it was an issue already with Oculus DK2 and the new ones haven't really added anything to the resolution. Frankly I don't give two fucks for these +-5% changes. They needed to quadruple the resolution, the problem is that the displays would cost fuckton of money as would the computer that had the processing power for such a resolution at such a rate of fps.

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 pm 
Offline
Hair in the soap
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:46 am
Posts: 17418
Reputation points: 14050
Kameolontti wrote:
Track-IR etc. are in a way better at the moment than VR headsets. The Screen-Door Effect is horrible and the resolution is so crappy that you have to facehug the displays to make out what they're saying. Nevermind the fanboys who claim it isn't an issue, it was an issue already with Oculus DK2 and the new ones haven't really added anything to the resolution. Frankly I don't give two fucks for these +-5% changes. They needed to quadruple the resolution, the problem is that the displays would cost fuckton of money as would the computer that had the processing power for such a resolution at such a rate of fps.



I've seen people mention using the VR headset gives them serious motion sickness. Along with usability issues specific to certain types of games.

Can only imagine how much of a headache using one would give me, since I already get bad ones from some widescreen FPS games. Flight sims are just fine, though, even with my TrackIR. If it works, don't fix it.. right? ;)

_________________
..
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCS Summer Sale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:21 pm 
Offline
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm
Posts: 7204
Reputation points: 14671
NefariousKoel wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:
Track-IR etc. are in a way better at the moment than VR headsets. The Screen-Door Effect is horrible and the resolution is so crappy that you have to facehug the displays to make out what they're saying. Nevermind the fanboys who claim it isn't an issue, it was an issue already with Oculus DK2 and the new ones haven't really added anything to the resolution. Frankly I don't give two fucks for these +-5% changes. They needed to quadruple the resolution, the problem is that the displays would cost fuckton of money as would the computer that had the processing power for such a resolution at such a rate of fps.



I've seen people mention using the VR headset gives them serious motion sickness. Along with usability issues specific to certain types of games.

Can only imagine how much of a headache using one would give me, since I already get bad ones from some widescreen FPS games. Flight sims are just fine, though, even with my TrackIR. If it works, don't fix it.. right? ;)


There are a lot of people and we are built like cars from an assembly line. One is missing headtails, another one catches fire and one will be running like new after 300,000 miles.

Some people can see 'rainbow' effect on certain projectors. VR headsets don't have this issue but they can have another issue from 3D viewing - that of focus, the screens are at fixed distance while the objects displayed appear on different distances. Unlike in real-life your eye needs to maintain a single focus despite the objects appearing at various distances. This causes some people to develop headache and unpleasant sensation.

Nausea deals with a range of causes:
- When the headset itself is not working as it should, for example there could be problem with drivers or settings that can be fixed or even just with performance. The outcome is that things don't work as smoothly as they should, there could be jittery effect and even tearing etc. This is highly unpleasant and requires a machine that is powerful enough for the given application as well as for the settings and drivers to be right. I had this myself but could easily fix it on the DK 2 by adjusting settings a little.

- Control of the view alignment. Some games and applications allow you to use for instance mouse or gamepad to turn your view. The faster your view turns not because you turn your head but because of mouse or gamepad or some other reason, the more nauseous and unpleasant it feels.
In fact we made a joke of having a timer on one build and it would then 'smack' you so that your view would suddenly rotate wildly while your character would be thrown into air. It literally felt almost as bad as really being smacked, imho I'd rather have had a slap on my cheek than that!

- Lack of frame. VR is nothing short of amazing for simulators because you can turn the frame itself while having that sense of sitting to the chair in the cockpit and as you look around in your chair your view relative to your frame - the cockpit - is 1:1 to your movement. Remove the frame and the incidence of nausea can quickly go up, include a cockpit and I never once felt any sign of nausea.

- Stress to neck. Some people are feeble. I wear masks and helmets for fun all the time while getting hit by other people's steel training swords so I didn't experience any neck problems at any point even after long sessions. Neck stress can cause light headedness and nausea, not to mention headache and can take a while to get the neck rested and back OK. In general it's a good idea to rather have a strong neck than a weak one.

- Personal issues.



And even better imho

_________________
All scientists across the world work for US Democratic Party


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group