maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Re: Surely the best 1st person is Battlefield?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:36 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
Nef, with the CUP mods, all the old/current stuff is there. Plenty of scenarios supporting it.

Yeah the original game has the future stuff, but with the mods, it can pretty much be irrelevant.

Getting everyone synched up on the mods is easy. You can export the list as an html file. Then you just drag and drop that file over the Arma3 startup screen, and it will download all those mods.

My bros and I play regularly, so we're easygoing enough. I keep asking my USAF kid if he ever learned any small unit tactics, as he always runs off being Rambo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:55 am 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
Some of our outings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 12812
Cool shots. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:34 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6891
NefariousKoel wrote:
I still haven't played any of the ARMAs for shit. Like others, most of my experience was with OFP long ago. I very rarely play first-person shooters these days. If I did it would consist of me spending time looking for a big but casual MP server without a huge pack of asshole kids in it. But FPSes draw asshole kids like moths to light.

That's one thing that makes Overwatch so popular. K/D is not the be all, end all. Can't win without playing as a team. Healers & tanks are fully appreciated by the slayers. A LOT fewer assholes than you find in Call of Duty. It's a lot of fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 10757
Zad Fnark wrote:
EU, there's a bunch of "standard" mods which will bring 3 into line with OFP weapons and gear. You can get all the maps too.

For official stuff, they just released a new Malden map. All buildings usable like the regular 3 maps. Tanoa is a very good jungle map.

Back in 2, there was a group called Cold War Rearmed, which was dedicated to all the 1980s stuff. It was all very good. I'm hoping they turn their attention to 3 with this.

Thank you very much for the tips.

I've tried to get into Arma3 repeatedly and never managed it. And I played OFP and the earlier ArmA's to death. I thought that was the best game evar for a while.

The original Operation Flashpoint campaign was the best. just amazing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:41 pm 
Sergeant Major

CatLover7 wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
I still haven't played any of the ARMAs for shit. Like others, most of my experience was with OFP long ago. I very rarely play first-person shooters these days. If I did it would consist of me spending time looking for a big but casual MP server without a huge pack of asshole kids in it. But FPSes draw asshole kids like moths to light.

That's one thing that makes Overwatch so popular. K/D is not the be all, end all. Can't win without playing as a team. Healers & tanks are fully appreciated by the slayers. A LOT fewer assholes than you find in Call of Duty. It's a lot of fun.

A little bit Panglossian. The only wrinkle is, get used to playing a tank or a healer. All the kiddies want to play the offence characters, or the snipers.

The absolute worst is trying to win a game when you a re on the offensive and you got two snipers on the team. It's like fighting with one hand behind your back. You have to push push push, and your two sniper cretins will be right behind you in the WW1 general sense, and providing absolutely no help whatsoever.

Fortunately I like playing a tank. It's annoying beyond belief though when you're lumbered with a couple of utterly useless kiddies playing offence who refuse to play anything else even though they are terrible. There have been a few occasions when it was so bad that I switched to offence myself even though it imbalanced the team composition, and then we started winning again. And I'm far from amazing at FPS. Just not a complete numpty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 6891
EUBanana wrote:

A little bit Panglossian. The only wrinkle is, get used to playing a tank or a healer. All the kiddies want to play the offence characters, or the snipers.

The absolute worst is trying to win a game when you a re on the offensive and you got two snipers on the team. It's like fighting with one hand behind your back. You have to push push push, and your two sniper cretins will be right behind you in the WW1 general sense, and providing absolutely no help whatsoever.

Fortunately I like playing a tank. It's annoying beyond belief though when you're lumbered with a couple of utterly useless kiddies playing offence who refuse to play anything else even though they are terrible. There have been a few occasions when it was so bad that I switched to offence myself even though it imbalanced the team composition, and then we started winning again. And I'm far from amazing at FPS. Just not a complete numpty.

I can play as Lucio and have a blast. I rarely shoot at targets. I put a constant stream of fire in the approach lanes and get kills. Passively healing and jacking up my teammates. One of my nephews is a Tracer savant. We usually have good team comp. I imagine it's less fun solo queuing. For whatever reason, I just don't take it as seriously as other shooters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:38 am 
Honorary Texan

Reputation points: 7273
Been playing Red Storm 2: Vietnam.

I enjoy playing as a VC grunt killing the capitalist dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:24 am 
Sergeant Major

CatLover7 wrote:
I can play as Lucio and have a blast. I rarely shoot at targets. I put a constant stream of fire in the approach lanes and get kills. Passively healing and jacking up my teammates. One of my nephews is a Tracer savant. We usually have good team comp. I imagine it's less fun solo queuing. For whatever reason, I just don't take it as seriously as other shooters.

I play a lot of characters - all of them bar the snipers, really. I don't mind healing, Mercy is my most played character, but I do mind when it's 100% of the time. I like a little variation...

... and it's irritating when you have a couple of people claim the damage spots when they are useless at it. And then refuse to change. You can tell when you're in this spot - when you have these epically long fights, like 2 or 3 minutes of running around walls healing people, and yet the enemy never seem to die, because your team just isn't kicking out enough pain.

If you have a Tracer savant to hand maybe you don't get this situation. The guy I play with prefers tanks and healers too, which is normally just as well as offence is the slots everybody wants, but sometimes when they are egregiously terrible it gets irritating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:24 am 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 9423
Zad Fnark wrote:
EU, there's a bunch of "standard" mods which will bring 3 into line with OFP weapons and gear. You can get all the maps too.

For official stuff, they just released a new Malden map. All buildings usable like the regular 3 maps. Tanoa is a very good jungle map.

Back in 2, there was a group called Cold War Rearmed, which was dedicated to all the 1980s stuff. It was all very good. I'm hoping they turn their attention to 3 with this.

One of the things I was really hoping for back when I played Arma 2 was a mod/update that made all buildings useable.

There was an AWESOME "mission" for Arma 2 called "Lost". Damn, I loved that "mission" (which was really more like an "overhaul"). It was playable with a half dozen or so of the maps. You started as the sole survivor of a spec ops mission and the war you were fighting has been lost but you are lost behind enemy lines and have to build up basically an insurgency. It had a mode where you could take control of each one of your NPCs so you could carefully set them up and then switch back to your main character for the battle.

If I knew that mod/mission was available for Arma 3 I'd have a hard time not installing and learning the game; I already own it and had it installed briefly, but just never bothered to learn the new interface or game mechanics.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail