maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Surely the best 1st person is Battlefield?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 pm 
Commie of the Year in Exile

Reputation points: 1021

I preferred Battlefield 2 due to its' realism.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Surely the best 1st person is Battlefield?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
Probably Overwatch.

Battlefield One annoyed the shit out of me, it looks like WW1, it 's nothing like WW1, and the weapons are nothing like real weapons. They also have retarded rules, how if you shoot someone with a rifle at point blank it does nothing, they have to be 50 metres away or so for it to do full damage. Uh, what?

Overwatch gets over this problem by having lightning guns and warp projectors and stuff. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:23 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Realism?

I would think ARMA 3. No?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:40 pm 
Corporal

Reputation points: 740
ArmA3 hands down.

Battlefield is a kiddie console game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11323
NefariousKoel wrote:
Realism?

I would think ARMA 3. No?

For realism, yeah.

I'm not going necessarily for realism. Overwatch isn't realistic. But Battlefield One is just so stupid, so unintuitive, and so artificlally laboured with the weapon damage at range rules, filled full of so many WTF moments as a result, that it's not really a 'good game' IMO. It has other massive flaws too, like how it's designed for people with ADHD which means you being shot in the back CONSTANTLY by someone who respawns right behind you, but that one is pretty crippling on its own.

I've not played any of the other Battlefield games since 1942, which is why I bring that one up. Maybe the other ones are better, but Battlefield One really did not impress.

Arma3 has a boring campaign, boring weapons with the near future stuff, boring maps because they are so barren, etc. etc. Compare it to it's ancient ancestor, Operation Flashpoint, or even Arma2 for that matter - far better games. I think they really intended it as a basis for mods, and it's VERY good at that, what with it being technologically cutting edge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
I was pretty deep into Arma 2 some years ago. Hooked up with this group of really hardcore guys who played coop missions in modded Arma 2 a couple nights per week. It was a _bit_ demanding but a lot of fun.

There were also some great single player missions for Arma 2.

Then Arma 3 came out and the prospect of waiting for all the content that was in Arma 2 to get built and/or modded in to Arma 3 just sounded abhorrent and I dropped out of that stuff.

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 7141
I agree that currently the best FPS multiplayer game is Overwatch. I also like Titanfall 2 but not many concurrent players.

Lawbreakers has an open beta going this weekend. PC & PS4 (Steam & PSN). Very fast gameplay.

Quote:
http://lawbreakers.nexon.net/en/gate?ref=http%3A%2F%2Flawbreakers.nexon.net%2Fen%2Flanding

One Price - A lifetime of Content
LawBreakers doesn’t level the battlefield, it rises above it with a no-nonsense, one time price for either PC or PlayStation®4 that includes all future roles, maps and modes for FREE. Yep... No ‘Season Pass’ BS required to compete in the future of FPS combat, just absolute skill.

Pre-Order Now
LawBreakers
Core Edition
$29.99

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:55 pm 
Corporal

I haven't played a campaign since Resistance and Red Hammer, back in OFP. Incidentally, someone re-made Red Hammer for ArmA3, and it's just like the old one.

Nowadays, It's all co-op missions with my son and brothers every Saturday. I spend a lot of time re-making old OFP missions for ArmA3. For the most part, they play a lot harder now than they did back in the day. The AI really has gotten that much better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:19 pm 
Corporal

EU, there's a bunch of "standard" mods which will bring 3 into line with OFP weapons and gear. You can get all the maps too.

For official stuff, they just released a new Malden map. All buildings usable like the regular 3 maps. Tanoa is a very good jungle map.

Back in 2, there was a group called Cold War Rearmed, which was dedicated to all the 1980s stuff. It was all very good. I'm hoping they turn their attention to 3 with this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 pm 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 13550
Zad Fnark wrote:
Back in 2, there was a group called Cold War Rearmed, which was dedicated to all the 1980s stuff. It was all very good. I'm hoping they turn their attention to 3 with this.

That would be cool.

My hesitance, regarding ARMA 3, was the fictional futuristic equipment & vehicle additions. Meh. Not needed, and not really wanted in my case.

I still haven't played any of the ARMAs for shit. Like others, most of my experience was with OFP long ago. I very rarely play first-person shooters these days. If I did it would consist of me spending time looking for a big but casual MP server without a huge pack of asshole kids in it. But FPSes draw asshole kids like moths to light.