maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
I forego the third MOL-P platoon for an extra 40 fortification points. These buy me three more wire hexes, more antitank mines, and two antitank ditches. The Engineers are purchased ON MAP so they get to be part of my October Surprise. The goal here is to make P really cautious so that his pace of advance slows down, and to inflict rough parity in casualties so that the Russian force will continue to increase overall relative to the German force. I want to log a Russian Win day on either the 24th or 25th, especially if it comes at the expense of high German casualties, in order to force P to take another Idle Day.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Turn 1 24 October. Weather is wet and overcast. No Stukas today.

Germans prep fire the crap out of everything in N17, Q18, P18, breaking three conscript squads. Prep fire also breaks conscripts in R17 and S17, casualty reducing the R17 conscript. During German movement, P drops a demo charge on the R-17 1/2 squad conscript, and follows up in his advancing fire phase with fire that eliminates the one in N17 and P18. Costly for me (2.5 squads) but these speed bumps do their job, which is to make P use his first turn shooting rather than gaining ground. During German advance he moves squads into S-17 and R-17. A Russian MG kill stack in U-18 guns down the German in S-17 and a Russian FT breaks and casualty reduces the German in R-17 from R-18. Both are ordinary 4-4-7 squads. So the tally at the end of Russian Turn 1 is 2.5 dead Russian squads, 1.5 dead German squads.

In Turn 1 Russian Defensive Fire, an artillery request brings down a spotting round that drifts to L-17, which is the perfect place to stop any Russian forward movement into the southern Assembly Hall. All I have to do is maintain radio contact for the duration and I don't think P will try to challenge me there. If he decides to call my bluff by bringing strong forces forward, I'll set it off. Another Russian spotting round (different module) lands in Tramvanaya Street, O-22. That is another decent spot because if P presses into open ground along Tramvanaya his troops will be vulnerable there.

P should be pretty cautious. He knows now that I have DCs and FTs, so moving giant stacks next to my units and hoping to ride out the attack by dint of strong leaders and good cover won't necessarily help. Flamethrowers get to ignore terrain DRM provided by cover.

I have held a half company of elites with a DC and some ATRs off map, in case P decides to push onto the southwest corner of the map A45-D45. I don't think he will because that entire section of Tramvanaya street has barbed wire, but he COULD attempt to do so just to grab a corner of the map for future setup options.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 am 
Sergeant Major

Turn 2 German Prep Fire: P redcards one module of oba for the second time and loses it for the remainder of the cg day (retains it available for 25 Oct), and fails to fix the busted radio for his other module of OBA. Prep fire breaks two conscript squads in the southern assembly hall and shoots out some concealment dummy stacks in the central rubble mound. Much sound and fury but few casualties. One Russian conscript squad is casualty reduced by a Commissar for failure to rally.

Russian defensive fire sees OBA making a mess of the German attack in the deburring hall breaking a bunch of squads. By the end of the Route phase Turn 2 the OBA has stalled the German attack. A Russian MG rate tear follwed by a Russian flamethrower near the rubble pile account for two more German squads and wound a 9-1 leader. A Russian crossfire on the east side stalls the German attack ther. During Turn 2 Russian close combat phase a Russian 6-2-8 and 9-1 leader pile onto 2 German 4-2-7s, near Tramvanaya St, aided by some OBA smoke that blinds other nearby German squads, eliminating one German squad and suffering no losses. The Russians also gain back a couple stone locations seized by the Germans in Turn 2.

Altogether a very good Turn 2. Russians that I positioned to the rear now moving up to supportbweakened spots in the line.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Some corrections. The effective Russian FFE is in the Gun Assembly Hall, hex O-16 (80mm Russian offboard mortars). The Germans are pushing forward in the southern Foundry hall. Also, In Russian Turn 1, three Russian conscript squads and an 8-1 set fire to the basement of the Power Plant (hex K23) in order to rubble the building. Russian 70mm offboard artillery dropped smoke in C-23, which allowed the Russians in Turn 2 to advance and close combat in B-24 and move reinforcements into B-25, and behind a roadblock in D-25. Germans in the vicinity of X-Z 12-14 have been pushed back with losses. So far, most Russians lost have been conscripts, although the Russians did lose an entire 4-5-8 elite rifle squad. German losses are mixed lot of 4-4-7s and 5-3-8s and an 8-3-8 half-squad (due to the 80mm OBA).

I think P is considering moving his tanks forward. I have anticipated that, and there are some well positioned surprises in store for him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. Turn 3, 24 October 1942.

I noticed alot of commentary when I was playing the Germans. People less interested because I'm pushing the Russians now?

On a side note, playing ASL Red Barricades motivated me to read the (rather dated) Enemy at the Gates, and also Glantz's recent Stalingrad Trilogy (currently in Volume 2).

Late this summer or early Autumn, MMP will release Red Factories. That will include a reprint of Red Barricades HASL module (fight for the Barrkiday gun factory), a new set of maps and CG scenarios for the Krasnyi Oktiabr (Red October) steel factory. I do not know if The Tractor Factory is also included, or whether the two sets of maps can be combined into a single campaign for the entire northern (factory complexes) part of Stalingrad.

Recently I figured out that the southeast part of the Red Barricades map that I have busily fortified corresponds with the location of the Bread Factory. Busy adding wire, roadblocks, tunnels, and pillboxes to the area.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Stalingrad, 24 October 1942, Turn 3:

In prep fire the Germans again discharge large volumes of fire from MG kill stacks in the northern part of the Barrkady complex, directed at concealed conscript squads in centrally located terrain. There are a few casualties but no major disasters. The Germans creep southward further into the southern Assembly Hall vicinity of J18 through M18. A German pionere half squad uses CX (extended) movement to lay a demolition charge on two concealed Russian engineer squads in S18. The DC goes off and strips concealment, but Russian elites in a factory have a morale of 9 and are otherwise not affected. The German h.s. flees during the German route phase, voluntarily breaking and routing back to R16.

On Pribatinskaya Street a StuG IIIG moves to M14 for better shots but does not accomplish much. Generally the Germans make no progress in the northeastern corner of the map, mostly out of caution.

Russian defensive fire brings a new FFE 80mm module down onto the Germans in O16, and in Russian Prep Fire turn 4 it moves accurately to P-16. The German attack from the northern factory hall breaks up, with most Germans in Turn 3 using their movement to align along the S14-S16 hex row with a view to moving eastward, rather than continuing to push southward into the heart of the factory complex.

On the western edge, the fight for a pile of stone rubble (formerly a two story building)B23-26, C23-26 continues. Most of those hexes are under smoke from a Russian 70mm offboard light artillery. A Melee in B-24 that started in Turn 2, continues with the Russians slowly getting the better of a German 4-6-7 there. In the German Turn 3 close combat, neither side wins the combat. In Russian Turn 3 close combat the Russians (a 6-3-8 with 9-1 leader) casualty-reduce the German 4-6-7 to a half-squad. The contesting forces remain locked in Melee going into Turn 4.

There are only two points of darkness. Multiple hits on the StuGIII in M14 scored by 76mm HEAT rounds fail to penetrate. Then the gun firing the heat rounds rolls a 12 and is disable. It could either fix or be removed from the game depending on future DR. The Russians also lose an 80mm mortar on a THDR=12, and it is eliminated during a subsequent repair attempt.

The other StuGIIIg moves into E-21 and stops, without infantry support. It is taken under fire by a Molotov projector and an antitank rifle without results, so far. But if it stays there, the Russians are going to eat it for lunch, because it has no infantry support.

Otherwise the lines are pretty static. The Germans are substantially short of their 25 stone location campaign day victory goal. Indeed, the Russians are taking advantage of the sudden scarcity of troops in the vicinity of O19, R17, S17 to take back stone locations formerly held by the Germans. I also expect to continue to resist in the center and west edges, because multiple stacks of multiple squads have moved out of reserve positions behind the lines to front line locations.

Attachments:
24 Oct End Turn 3 northeast corner.jpeg
24 Oct End Turn 3 northeast corner.jpeg [ 363.87 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]
24 Oct End Turn 3 west center.jpeg
24 Oct End Turn 3 west center.jpeg [ 276.38 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]
24 Oct End Turn 3 west edge.jpeg
24 Oct End Turn 3 west edge.jpeg [ 338.37 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

One more image: East-Center

Attachments:
24 Oct End Turn 3 east center.jpeg
24 Oct End Turn 3 east center.jpeg [ 374.96 KiB | Viewed 320 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Stalnigrad, 24 October 1942, Turns 4 and 5

Comrade General Chuikov, Cdr. 64th Army:

339, 344, 650 Rifle Regiments and Barrikady Workers Militia elements have repulsed several attacks in the vicinity of the Barrikady Gun Factory, specifically the Gun Tube Thermal Processing and Deburring Hall (Hall 3). The enemy has gained ground in Foundry Hall 5 and fully occupied that building – a gain of roughly 160 meters, but have been held north of the central access road (east west) in the middle of the Barrikady complex (Arbatovskaya Street extension). The enemy has gained ground in the ruins of Central Manufacturing Hall 6-North, penetrating our defence to a depth of 40 meters.

We call your attention to the actions of Commissar Badenov (9-0) who, with ten engineers and twelve workers militia, held hex P19 throughout Turn 4 and Turn 5 against intense machine gun fire from three locations [kill stacks along the east face of Foundry Hall 5]. Thrice wounded and with all of his comrades killed, Badenov located an abandoned flamethrower and, wounded twice more (Turn 5), dragged the flamethrower to Q19 (during German Turn 5 Route phase).
Our [offboard] Batalion Morter (80mm) company rendered effective and continuous fire [through Turn 5] on the enemy engineers assaulting from the southern margin of Assembly Hall 4, breaking up their efforts to concentrate for an assault on the Deburring Hall (Hall 3). [Here, P rolled a series of DR=2 morale checks, generating two heroes, a heroic leader, battle hardening one squad and fanaticising another. But during Russian Prep Fire Turn 5, the worm turned. German Kill Stacks in R-16 and S-17 failed multiple morale checks owing to LLMCs. Those included several orginal DR=12 casualty reductions].

Owing to Battalion Mortar’s support, Engineer elements attached to 344 Regiment were able to regain full control of Hall 3, and place demolition charges and make flamethrower attacks against Germans in R-16 and S-16. Although unable to penetrate to those locations owing to our artillery fire there, scouts reported no fewer than forty German bodies in the area.

On Tramvanaya Street the enemy gained a further 40 meters, advancing as far as the rubbled building hex C-24. We intended only a delaying action there, but successive hand to hand combats have so weakened the attacking forces that a local platoon leader decided to make a stand in B-25 and C-25.
We report with some regret the loss of one of our 76mm infantry guns owing to mechanical failure, and an on-board heavy morter (80mm) that failed owing to an overheated barrel. Despite the use of unconventional means to attempt to cool the tube, it warped. The mortar crew has been reassigned to a new gun.

We are pleased to note that our Molotov Cocktail Projectors have been employed successfully as an unconventional means of providing smoke to help conceal the movement of our troops. Better still, [in Russian Defensive Fire Turn 4], one crew reports destroying an enemy tank, a StuG with a long gun, in hex E21 [Thought Police Please Note: The Russians according to Glantz and House commonly referred to tracked turreted German AFV as “tanks” even though the StuGIIIG was, in German doctrine, a tank-destroyer or assault gun.]

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

There were so many "Squad Leader Moments" in Turns 4 and 5 I can't possibly relate them all. The five-times-wounded Commissar Badenov even rallied in Russian Turn 5, and he's manning a flamethrower in support of a 9-1 leader and HMG Kill stack with whom he is stacked. P had some fairly marvelous rate tears with MGs to make so many holes in Badenov but the guy just kept surviving the wounds. Knocking out the StuG with a Molotov projector was a bit of luck. DR=6 required to hit, DR 4 required to kill (6 tk on the HE-Flame To Kill Table, -2 for Moving AFV]. P made a series of DC attacks in the rubble west of Tramvanya and managed to strip conceals twice despite the attacks being only a 12+3. And his Rally Phase and original MC DR in Hall 4 through German Turn 5 were marvelous until, suddenly he started coughing up lots of DR12s in Russian Prep Fire Turn 5 under Russian 80mm artillery FFE. So his position in Hall 4 is suddenly very weak and vulnerable, where just two turns ago the open question was whether I could instead keep those guys out of Hall 3.

The casualties are INCREDIBLE. Through various means there are threed dead German leaders and four wounded ones on map, along with a wounded hero. The sudden turn of the page in Hall 4 resulted in something like five full German squads dying under the combined effects of offboard Bn Mortar (80mm -- 16+2), Engineer Assault Fire (12+3), DC attack (30+2), and flamethrower (24 +1, no terrain benefit but +1 line of sight hindrance because of the blast effects of the Bn Mortar FFE).

Right now there must be at least 25 CPP dead soviets, including the destroyed 76mm gun and 80mm mortar. But there close to 40 dead German CPP inclusive of the destoyed StuG and Crew

He needs 4 more stone locations to gain a "Campaign Day Win" for 24 October, but I am not sure he can get them. I think I can re-enter Hall 4, so he probably needs more like 5 or six hexes. But even if he wins the CG day, the German forces have been utterly savaged. Most of his losses have been first lines and elites. Most of mine have been sacrificial Workers Militia squads that were placed as speed bumps to keep him shooting-and-not-moving at the center of the Barrikady complex. It really looks like he will have to take an Idle Day, and that might give me enough CPP to purchase enough stuff to contemplate a substantial counterattack on October 26.

Turn 6 of 24 October will be in two weeks if all goes as planned.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Pix end of turn 5, 24 Oct 1942

Attachments:
24 oct T5 w-central.jpg
24 oct T5 w-central.jpg [ 335.33 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]
24 Oct T5 central.jpg
24 Oct T5 central.jpg [ 335.92 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]
24 Oct T5 east-central.jpg
24 Oct T5 east-central.jpg [ 298.54 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next