maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
We played through German Turn 5.

One interesting moment was provided when we tried to decipher what happens when a Berserk unit enters a hex with Enemy units. 15.432 has the entire stack marked with a CC (close combat) marker, but the Defenders (the enemy units) can at their option voluntarily break and route away prior to the Close Combat phase. That strands the Berserk unit in its "Target hex" (target of the charge) and leaves them Berserk status because they failed to eliminate all the Defenders during either the Advancing Fire or Close Combat phases.

Martin Electro-Furnace is now full blazing and soon to be engulfed.

The Germans have enough stone locations to register a CG day win.

In (Russian) Defensive Fire phase of German Turn 5, one Russian 82mm mortar malfunctioned. The other rolled a Critical Hit on the same target. The CH eliminated three German squads, one MMG, and an 8-1 leader (KIA4). It's the price one pays for bunching up. In a WW2 Action Flick, some noncom yelling "SPREAD OUT YOU MEAT-HEADS" was ignored.

That was a good moment for the Russians. I'd like to inflict another 12 CVP on the Germans by the end of the current CG day. I may have to risk some infantry but at this point I have infantry squads to spare. Eventually the Germans run out of rifle company squads because their odds of received a "Depleted" Rifle Company increase as the Germans buy more rifle companies in the refit phase between campaign days.

We had simultaneously purchased holiday gifts. I brought P's wife a can of Trader Joe's peppermint bark, and I brought P a Tamiya 1:35 M5 Stuart and some hobby cement. P and wife sent me home with a nice box of candy that my kids and in-laws finished off yesterday.

Next game is this Friday the 14th.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:40 pm 
Sergeant Major

Through German Turn 6. Back and forth in Martin Electro Furnace and in the central rubble pile between the factories. More fires blazing in Martin. Russian pushback in the NE sector I hope has convinced P that in future CG days if he wants ground on peripheral areas he's going to have to commit more effort (thereby weakening the center).

The Russian snipers were very active in the last couple turns mostly because of P rolling well on morale checks. No casualty reductions but several broken German squads in places where a little durability could have helped P on the perimeter.

This has led to a new observation for me. In a long campaign game like Red Barricades, the snipers have the greatest tactical effect on the edges where enemy is less concentrated, rather than at the point of attack. At the point of attack, the force is so overwhelming that it has no appreciable effect unless you can hit a leader ... which is less likely when leaders are stacked with lots of squads.

On the periphery, a few broken squads can make a difference, and it's easier to hit leaders because they're often behind the lines in rally points, rather than leading the assaults as they tend to do at the point of attack.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

27 October ends at the end of Russian Turn 6.

The CG day ends with a German Win (25 stone locations captured out of 24 required) but it is a pyrrhic victory (36 CVP dead Germans, 35 CVP dead Russians).

Most of the dead Germans are 1st line and elites. Most of the dead Russians are conscripts and submachinegun (5-2-7) squads. The Germans lose a StuG destroyed. The Russians lose a T-70 destroyed, and a 6+1 leader killed (good riddance).

On the previous CG day I added two rifle companies in reserve and they will go straight to the front line. I also have a company of T-60 tankettes that I have not used and might use them on the 28th. On 28 October I dice up no Battle Hardening for squads, lose all of the remaining captured German weapons (sent on to labs in the Urals for analysis I guess), and a 9-1 leader promotes to 9-2.

On 28 October I dice up 15 Campaign Purchase Points. I purchase a new Rifle Company in reserve and it comes with excellent leaders (a 9-2 and an 8-1). They will deploy into the Bread Factory area. I hold back 3 CPP for 29 October. I purchase one OBA module of Medium Artillery (120mm) preregistered, and it comes with Plentiful Ammunition. I also purchase a module of 80mm OBA and it comes with Normal Ammunition. I also purchase 120 FPP (fortification purchase points). These will be used to build entrenchments near the Commissar's House.1

My provisional plan for the 28th is to force a limited counterattack near the eastern edge of the map. My orimary objective is the rubbled CC10 stone building and the DD8 wooden rubble hexes and everything on hexrow Z south or east of Z9. My secondary goal is to seize the X9 X10 W10 stone building rubble hexes. My Five Day objective is to retake all of hexrow Z to the north edge of the map (Z0).

To achieve this plan, I expect to hit CC9 with 120mm FFE for a couple turns, lay some smoke along Z11-Z14 area, and rush to the CC1- BB10 -BB9 area with elite smg squads and the tankettes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

BTW I have a new camera so pix of the game board will improve starting with pix after set-up but before Turn 1 for the 28 October CG day,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:42 pm 
Sergeant Major

So here is the setup for 28 October 1942. Most of the forward deployed units in the long factory hall are dummy counters. On Turn 1 German, P shot the heck out of them with two huge HMG-MMG kill stacks (3 HMG and 3 MMG each with 9-2- leaders). He went on a rate tear and stripped away a bunch of dummy conceals and killed two squads. Weirdly, a Militia squad reacted to all the bullets by Battle Hardening to first line and not going berserk. It's the not going berserk part that is unusual for militia squads.

P ran three demolition charges into my MG kill stack in S-18 but because the attacking counters were using Double Time movement and because my MG kill stack remained concealed and P rolled poorly there was no effect. I however had left a set DC in P-20 for seeveral CG days and he walked into it with a stack. A combination of MG fire and the DC blew up the stack killing several squads. On board 82mm mortars and Russian HMG kill stacks also lit up a bunch of Germans in DD( right next to a hex where I have preregistered fire that will open up my modest counterattack on the northeast side of the map.

Here's the map after setup. The camera captures so much detail I had to shrink the file size to allow the Drive Thru to upload it, pixellating it a bit.

Attachments:
setup 28 oct 1942.png
setup 28 oct 1942.png [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 326 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 am 
Sergeant Major

After German turn 2 the Russian MLR is intact. Lots of dead Germans and Russians so far.. probably about 20CVP each. The Germans have lost three leaders so far. One to a DC, one to a sniper, and one to 120mm OBA in hex row FF near the area of planned Russian attack. Russians have crept closerbthere and the German resistance on the bluff has crumbled.

My plan for Russian Turn 2 is to move 120 mm artillery blast area to the big hex indicared on my map to keep P from moving reinforcements into the assault area.

One of the dead leaders had a radio so half of P's fire support will be unavailable for the remainder of 28 October... because Russians will soon have the radio.

Also, once the Russians take objectives near the bluff there will be a bunch of German MGs in Russian hands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:21 am 
Sergeant Major

After German 3, Krauts have penetrated three hexes long one hex deep into the long factory building along the Russian MLR. Russian counter attack in the northeast corner has achieved all initial objectives and Russian 120 mm oba has been very effective. Germans have lost 19 squad equivalents vs Russian 6 squad equivalents so the Germans are taking fearful beating.

I expect in Russian Turn 4 ( two turns hence) to release a platoon of hidden T-60s that will exploit the infantry breakthrough in the NE corner and penetrate to good tactical depth for setup on Oct 30.

German casualties are already so great that P will almost certainly take an Idle Day on 29 October.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:58 am 
Sergeant Major

The northeast corner breakthrough went spectacularly well. I lost one T-60 but isolated and destroyed 3 additional squads, and by cutting off their infantry support, used Russian squads to capture a PaK40 and a 75mm infantry gun. Also, and OBA critical hit 7KIA'd an MG kill stack of 3xHMGs and 3xMMGs manned by crews, with a 9-2 leader. That's 13CVP for the MMG kill stack and 12 CVP for the two field guns and their crews.

End of 29 October saw the CVP tallies as 37CVP dead Russians 81 CVP dead Germans, The Russians also took back strategic stone locations along the Volga at the northern margin of the map. The Germans, however, secured lodgements into two major Barrikady factory buildings.

In light of recent losses, the Germans take 2 Idle days to rest and refit. So my general plan of forcing him to take Idle Days worked. With the refit he should have enough to overrun the two factory buildings that he's entered. But it means tougher resistance against the Germans as P closes on the Volga and, at this point, the Bread Factory may be extremely difficult to him to take if at all.

Map perimeter will be posted later this week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Perimeter Map, end of 28 Oct CG day.

Attachments:
31 Oct Perimiter and Setup.png
31 Oct Perimiter and Setup.png [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 202 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

Soviet Purchases 29 October through setup 31 October are as follows:

1 assault engineer coy
1 smg coy
1 Guards smg coy (depleted)
2 rifle coys
2 Heavy Weapons platoons
1 infantry gun battery
1 preregistered Katyusha (200mm) offboard arty
1 light artillery (70mm) offboard arty

That will add 61 squads to my OOB, 3 76mm field guns, four heavy weapons mortars (82mm), 2x.50 cal HMG, 6xMMG, 2 flamethrowers, five demolition charges and various other odds and ends to my OOB.

Regrettably, the captured PaK40 and 75mm infantry gun were ordered sent east by some pushy commissar working for the design bureau so I cannot turn t hose against the Germans.

One of the unmentioned highlights was some very heroic defenses of those guns by P's Germans. One gun crew wiped out an assaulting squad before falling to a second assaulting squad. The Pak40 gun crew broke under fire, but a single man counter (Hero) stayed at the gun and destroyed a T-60 before being overrun and killed by an assaulting Russian Guards SMG squad.

For the 31 Oct CG day I am up to my elbows in surplus latws, mostly 12.7mm Russian antitank rifles. IMA seed those behind the lines in areas with mobility terrain just in case P tries something novel involving SPWs and PSWs..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next