maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11823
That's interesting. I wonder if someone will make an ASL HASL about the early part of the Sevastopol campaign.

In our current Stalingrad effort, the loosey goosey Soviet Defense stopped the German attack in its tracks as indicated in yellow. The rectangle and oval mark places where he just did not put forward enough effort. It's almost as though he was either trying to divert some of my defense or else just trying to see if he could grab some easy hexes.

The yellow hexagon marks an area where he made two efforts, first a strong one, then a follow on effort with almost the same level of force, where the Russian 70mm OBA and a couple of squads stopped the Germans cold in their tracks.

The Thick Red Line shows the Soviet Perimeter in our game, end of October 17 campaign day. There was just too much German firepower in the center. Eventually he overcame my wire obstacles and just shoved me out. That was where most of my Russians' casualties occurred.

Attachments:
End 17 Oct Rus Perimeter.png
End 17 Oct Rus Perimeter.png [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 399 times ]

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
There´s some more to this with 1,8 ton rocket-assisted bunker buster bombs deployed in early Jan 1943 vs Malta and the Fritz-X sinking ships in mid-43.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 pm 
Sergeant Major

I had to remind P about vehicular bypass freeze. W/O that I think I'd have taken down another German squad.

Our styles of play are different on both sides of the equation. As the Russian he seemed to almost appeal to a stereotype. Lots of infantry as a almost physical barrier. Lots of effort to get at my "mind share" by using Sewer Movement.

As the Russians I am all about wire and stuff that slows the Germans down long enough for me to get some pot shots in on vulnerable units, then disappear.

As the German, he used his 80mm offboard artillery effectively and also got lucky in breaking a gun crew and a squad in an L! Fortified Building, In short, he cracked a tough nut with a relatively weak artillery module. A 16"4 is roughly the same as a 4 flat. A 16+5 is about the same as a 2 flat. I just rolled poorly on Normal Morale Checks. His use of vehicular bypass when he finally did it was effective. The Antitank Rifles aren't worth much, but I may have disabled his tank with one. He did not use any of the Demolition Charges with which his Sturm Company started the day.

As the German, I was all about smoke, vehicular bypass freeze, and liberal use of Demolition Charges. I used artillery to interdict areas where the Russians were trying to rally, and to force Russians to stay at the point of contact where superior German firepower could attrit them.

The results seem to favor my styles somewhere. In our first game, the tally was 20 CVP dead Russians (P playing the Russians) and 2 CVP dead Germans (me as the Germans). In the current game, with P playing the Germans the tally was 22 CVP dead Germans (P as the Germans), vs 17 dead Russians (me). In the first game as the Germans I seized 27 stone locations. In the current game, P seized 17. P helped me out in the first game, when he was the Russians, by burning down lots of stone buildings near Tramvanaya Street. I think he read somewhere on the internet that it is a good idea. We've both played against a fellow who, as Russians, burned buildings well (guy named John B).

But I think burning buildings is not always the smart move. Especially on that end of the map where the great view from level 1 building is the wall of the level 1 building next door. Perhaps later I will burn some stuff down, just to get buildings out of the way for line of sight purposes.

Interesting that in both games the ballpark casualties for the Russians is around 20 CVP. The difference is in how the Germans are handled. It's always bad when the Russians gun down more Germans than they lose in Comrades. Generally, I think the Germans need to maintain a consistent casualty ratio of at least 1.5:1, or else the get worn down faster than the Russians. 2:1 is proof that the Germans have a plan that works. 2:3 is proof that you need to rethink how you're doing stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:28 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10914
If you can teach P up to the point where he can defeat you several times ... THEN you are truly the MASTER !!!

:)

==
I am trying to do something similar with my regular shooting buddy and our last gathering was not good for me. I out shot him massively ... but I consider that to be a failure on my part. My goal is that he should win every time. So, I blame my self. My poor teaching. And I am doubling down with a new dry firing program that he and I are both engaging in .. in our living rooms. I will not give up on him if he does not give up on me. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

I don't think of myself as a very skilled player. John B was better than me. Also, I've never thought of P as an unskilled player, since he's owned the rules since 1995 and played it off an on. He's also pretty OCD. You'd think he'd have memorized all the tricksy stuff in the rules and would, as the Germans exploit 'em. So far not.

P and I both played as the Germans together against John B. We were soundly thrashed. My experience led me to conclude that as the German you really need to use all the tools in your kit, most especially SMOKE. Vehicular smoke dischargers, offboard artillery smoke, onboard 81mm mortar smoke, PaK40 smoke, and smoke grenades. If one is not dicing for that stuff every turn, something's wrong.

I made my purchasing decisions.

One rifle company and one militia company each in reserve. These will be positioned in locations where he is nearly certain to activate them if he makes much forward progress on the flanks. Two modules of offboard 80mm artillery. Several each of wire and minefield hexes.

It turns out that the Russian 45L ATG is pretty crappy at busting tanks. The target has to be close. On a DR=4 it can get APDS and that makes it decent. But the 76* gets HEAT on a 6 or lower, and a 76 HEAT round has better penetration than the Russian 45L APDS, and the same penetration as the Russian 45LL APDS. And the Infantry Guns can fire smoke (to neutralized German MG kill stacks) and ordinary high explosive that is three times as effective as the 45mm high explosive used by the ATGs.

If I were in P's shoes, I'd buy a rifle company, and a StuGIII company on map. The StuGIII is easily the best inexpensive tank in the German arsenal. It's weakly armored, but it's small, packs a good gun (a 75mm howitzer) and can deploy smoke from its smoke discharger, and can fire smoke on a DR<=8 from its gun. In short, in Red Barricades, the StuGIII is great for its intended real world purpose as an assault gun tank.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 am 
Sergeant Major

Game tonight. Further reflection suggests that Turn 1 will be revelatory of whether P has figured much out from watching my use of the Germans in our previous game. If he's clever, he's purchased one rifle company and one of the following: StuGIII assault gun platoon (up to three tanks), a Heavy Weapons Platoon (2 HMG, 2 MMG, 3 80mm MTR), an Infantry Gun battery (3x75* and 1x150mm*), or a PaK40 section (3xPaK40 they have decent rate of fire, can shoot smoke).

If he's thinking like a mallet head he'll think of heavy artillery (150mm) or Nebelwerfer, offboard artillery modules, and one rifle company.

Nebelwerfer is good if you can get it on target. It's important on that first turn therefore for the Russians to be reasonably spread out, and have a reaction force in the safety position to reposition once the rockets stop falling.

So now I have a plan on how to set up. The last remaining question is whether the PzIII that I immobilized on 17 October is still trying to replace road wheels. If it is, I need a way to wreck it, just to take it off the table for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 pm 
Sergeant Major

Turns 1-2, 18 Oct:

P deploys several squads and shows troops entering map edge near A9 and U1. During Prep Fire he radios for 80mm mortar fire support, and predictably decides to rush the job, opting to convert prior to rolling for accuracy. It’s preregistered though so when it is inaccurate it will only drift half the error distance dr but P stonks it with a 5. It falls on C15 wooden building, breaking two Russian militia squads. He also reveals multiple kill stacks in the NW corner of the factory complex in the rubble hexes G6-6 and in stone buildings H8 and I8. From there he shoots up all manner of locations looking for Hidden Initial Placement and shooting up some concealment stacks. During movement a half squad scoots to Level 1 of I6 stone building, taking possession of the abandoned 45LL gun there. Russians put artillery requests on I5 but the spotting round drifts to I9, and on F12 where the spotting round drifts to F13. A PzIII set up in wooden building in T3 starts ranging in on concealed Russians in the U6 stone rubble.

During the Russian turn a hidden 76 infantry gun critical hits the I6 level 1 stone building but I stonk the HE resolution DR yielding only a 2MC instead of the KIA for which I was looking. P rewards me, however, by rolling doubles on the 2MC, eliminating the half squad. The abandoned Russian 45LL is once again unpossessed and up for grabs. The gun, which is on a rate tear, strips concealment off of Germans in K6 and breaking one squad and pinning another. A hidden Russian 45LL puts three hits on the PzIII in T3, Shocking it. It flips to unconfirmed kill, then confirmed kill, and the crew does not survive.
As P continues to shoot up the board with Kill Stacks the Russian Snipers get busy, pinning the German snipers for a player turn, then killing a German 7-0 leader and breaking a squad in E6 debris, then wounding a German 10-3 leader. That’s key. His death star is now a baby death star, and there is a decent chance the wounded leader will be recalled at the end of the 18 Oct CG day. Removing a German 10-3 from the game is worh half a company of Russians at least, and it’s done by a sniper. Good Show!

The hidden 76* Russian infantry gun goes on another Rate Tear, killing a half squad in K5 and stripping and breaking two German squads in L5. When they break, they leave a German HMG unpossessed in the hex. By the end of Russian Turn 2, a concealed Russian is back in L5 and ready to steal the HMG on Turn 3. Also, P manages in two turns to have malfunctioned, then eliminated, 1 HMG and 1 MMG. He also reveals himself to have purchased a bunch of FPPs as Hidden Germans start sneaking out of the debris north of the KLM house. But now one of the German spotting rounds is squarely in the street in M5 so it’s not safe for him to come after me. He’ll need a turn to regroup and reform. At least one turn maybe 2.
P has also shown he’s learning because he’s bought a PaK40 platoon that puts Smoke in Z1 on a Russian MMG kill stack there, and he has another one trying to put shots into L6 stone building from L4 debris. In Russian Turn 2 P shifts his offboard artillery to M7 and declares he’ll convert it, but it drifts to K8 and becomes Smoke.

After 2 turns the score is P captured 16 stone locations, and there are 5 CVP dead Russians (1.5 rifle company squads and 1 Militia squad) vs 10 CVP dead Germans (one PzIIIL and crew, one 7-0 leader, and 1.5 rifle squads).

The weather is overcast and conditions moist. The Stukas are not flying. During Russian Turn 2, the Russians set Stone Bldg hex B13 on fire with matches and furniture.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:29 pm 
Sergeant Major

Quote:
. But now one of the German spotting rounds is squarely in the street in M5 so it’s not safe for him to come after me. He’ll need a turn to regroup and reform. At least one turn maybe 2.

Error. Should say "Russian spotting round is squarely in the street in M5."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Map end of Turn 2. Not too much detail but...

yellow hexes = Russian Wire
orange hex with blue fill = Set on fire by Russians.
blue hex = wrecked PzIIIL
blue line = approximate line of German control after end of Turn 2.

Attachments:
18 Oct End Turn 2.png
18 Oct End Turn 2.png [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 323 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:36 am 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. IMO P's basic error for this CG day is that he's trying to attack in five places and succeeding in only one of them. For the first several CG days, the Germans have to pick a primary and a secondary objective and build up force. In fact, building force is so important that it does not hurt to "lose" a CG day or two on grounds of not seizing 25 stone Locations. It's a 30 day campaign. Neither side can win in a day.

I've been looking over my Russians. The militia squads really stink. They're inexperienced so they break support weapons easily and hit with them less often. Their morale is relatively low on their good order side (6) and worse on their broken side (5). In close combat they suffer an adverse DRM for Ambush, and they're more easily captured and interrogated. The ONLY upside on these guys is that they are cheap cheap cheap to purchase in CPP.

As my infantry force builds, I intend to use the Militia guys as trash. Hidden initial placement in weird places, Human Wave Assaults where the Germans show weak defensive forces. If things go well, I may even attempt a Russian Night Attack. In any case, all of the support weapons given to Militia Companies will be handed off to 1st Line rifle companies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next