maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Test
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:03 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 12194
Is the file upload working yet?
Apparently not.

Game tonight. Turn 6 Oct 21. Will the Russians run the CVP talley above 20? They will certainly attempt to do it! :mrgreen:

Goal is still to run up the German CVP in the hope that P loses an ELR point and enough troops to take an IDLE DAY. That will allow me to give the Russians two days to drop fortifications on the map and CPP enough to get some Russian combat engineers on the map. In a perfect world I might even have enough CPP for some KV1s. I'd like to roll them up a flank and cause some unexpected trouble, but I would only use them on an Overcast Day.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game ends after Turn 6. 20 October is a Russian Victory campaign day. The Germans only secured 10 new stone locations, and failed to inflict 2:1 casualties on the Russians (21 CVP dead Germans, 27 CVP dead Russians).

The Germans gain no hexes in the Gun Assembly Hall, gain two hexes in the northernmost Manufacturing Hall but it catches fire and is gutted at the end of the day, eliminating all rooftop locations and filling it with debris. The Germans gain ONE hex (northeast corner) of the northernmost Foundry Hall, and the two-hex stone building immediately west of that hall. That's it.

In the last turn, Germans force an MC on three Russian squads in Smoke. One breaks, one pins, one Battle Hardens and Generates a Hero.

Both sides retain ELR despite massive DRM mitigating towards ELR loss so ELR remains Russian 3, German 4. The Russians dice up 17 Campaign Purchase Points for the October 21 CG day. The Russians promote an 8-1 leader to 9-1, and battle harden three more squads (one with the retained Hero, two on MMC Battle Hardening DR).

For 21 October I purchase a Guards Submachinegun Company in reserve (9x 6-3-8s and one Demolition Charge, and two leaders), one Molotov Cocktail Projector Platoon (this is a device that hurls incendiary ampules that contain a flammable liquid and a blob of WP), Molotov Cocktail capability for all squads, a module of Katyusha 200mm rocket offboard artillery with a preregistered hex, and 120 fortification points.

The job of the Katyushas shall be to wait until about Turn 3 and if the Germans seem to make a breakthrough in some location that is massively inconvenient, bring down a shitload of pain there to stop the advance).

The Molotov Cocktail projectors are there to try to set enemy hexes alight and to drop smoke during Russian Defensive Fire. (A hit on a German squad with a MOL-P automatically puts smoke in their hex). The smoke will help reduce the effects of German firepower advantage and also make German flamethrowers somewhat less potent.

Now that he is into the northernmost Foundry Hall that building is untenable, so I plan to fall back slowly, mostly with an eye towards making him use the entire day to capture the building. I'd like another Russian Victory day on October 21. If I can hold ELR 3 for one more day then, when P takes an Idle Day, there is a chance of ELR gain to ELR 4.

Since he's in the factories, wire purchases will be mostly confined to the south end of the map, in order to slowly accumulate sufficient defensive terrain there in order to delay German progress when, on October 23, the Germans are allowed to use the entire eastern map edge to enter the board.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm 
Sergeant Major

This is a test. Kading thinks he may have worked out the file upload thing.

Attachments:
RBCGIII-Map CLEAN.png
RBCGIII-Map CLEAN.png [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 145 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

We did not game Friday because P's dishwasher quietly leaked behind his kitchen cabinets and under his kitchen and living room floors. So he's going through flood mitigation. Next game November 17, which will be Turn 1 of the 21 Oct CG Day. P has selected Attack. Conditions are Clear (Stukas will be flying) and Moist (external locations will be less susceptible to blaze/spreading blaze).

This is a good time to talk about Wire. It takes a DC to remove it, or an Engineer Squad, or a fully tracked AFV. Each has its risks to the person trying to clear. DC use is the least risky but DCs are also powerful antipersonnel devices, so if you blow them trying to clear Wire (which requires a 5 or lower on 2 dice) you're not using them against fortified building locations. Engineers are the most LIKELY way to succeed, but screwing around in Wire while you're taking enemy fire is an expensive way (personnel wise) to remove wire. A fully tracked AFV takes a Bog Check to move through Wire, and if the colored DR=1, the wire is removed. So basically it's a 1 in 6 chance of clearing the Wire vs a 1 in 6 chance of having your AFV immobilized in the wire (I guess the shit gets caught up in the road/drive wheels).

I last posted a reference map in the previous ASL thread so here it is again. This map provides some known names for major landmarks in the Barrikady Gun Factory.

If you want to view it in larger scale you can open it in Paint or some other utility and zoom.

Attachments:
RB_Map_no counters_annotated.png
RB_Map_no counters_annotated.png [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 133 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

I expect that there's no way to stop him from taking the norhernmost (left side of map) Foundry Hall on October 21. He's got one hex in there and with DCs and Flamethrowers should be able to cut his way through the building. BUT, if I bring down a round of offboard artillery smoke onto that hall, then there's a decent chance I can inflict some pretty good casualties in close combat. My objective is to try to gain 1:1 casualties while yielding the hall, and to hold him to less than 25 new Stone Locations in the current CG day. My other objective is to use the Molotov Projectors to light the northern Foundry Hall on fire so that it will be Gutted and therefore Roofless starting October 22, thereby denying the Germans any upper level onboard observers. Same for the one-story building at X-9. When the Germans get enough elevated positions they can use multiple MG kill stacks to pretty much eliminate any defenders in a hex they want badly enough without much risk. As far as I can tell, winning and RBCG means you have to find ways to limit the Germans ability to wholly dominate a point-of-attack, and you need to find ways to keep German attrition elevated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 pm 
Sergeant Major

Played 21 October 1942, turn 1. As expected, now that P has a foothold in the factories he set up massively strong to move in there. Fortunately I had planned for this. I had lots of dummy conceal stacks on the front lines so he spent his Turn 1 shooting up Russians that were mostly not there. He did inflict a double-break on one squad casualty reducing it from a 5-2-7 to a 2-2-7. In return, a hidden Russian 45LL ATG punched a hole in his immobilized PzIIIL. The tank crew did not survive.

On the Russian turn 1, I brought offboard mortar battalion smoke down into the northern foundry hall. This will basically neutralize his huge kill stacks there. A +8 DRM will turn even a 36 firepower shot into a kitten mewl. Best of all, smoke applies to flamethrower attacks where cover does not. So the smoke will slow down his movement and give me a chance to take some decent ambush Close Combat attacks against some of his units. If I can trade 1 for 1 against his Sturm grenadiers, it'll be a massive victory for the Russians.

He's about to break into the Gun Assembly Hall. My plan there is to bluff a defense for two turns then run back. Once he gets toward the south end of the hall, Katyusha's are going to drop into the middle of it, and I will push forward in an attempt to trap his men between my Russians and the Katy barrage.

After Turn 1, he has 2 new control hexes, and the CVPs are 1 point dead Russians (a half squad) and 5 points dead Germans (a PzIIIL and crew).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

SitMap end of Turn 1.

Attachments:
21 October End of Turn 1.png
21 October End of Turn 1.png [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 102 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

Comrade Corporal Svidrigilov awakens in his cot in the northern Foundry Hall. He has been unconscious for 16 hours, after being found in a debris pile next to the shell of the wrecked T-60 he had defended the previous day.

Six of his surviving laborer-turned-soldier squad searched for him in the darkness of night and hauled him deep into the safety of the factory complex. But he does not know that. His last memory is of being assigned to the roof by Aaltonen.

The Commissar is not in sight. Nothing is in sight. Svidrigilov eyes work well, but dense smoke has poured into the break room where he has been lying from holes in the roof, holes in the walls, vents, ducts, the exhaust outlets for furnaces and other apertures that, by design or combat, have formed in the large factory hall.

It is dark in the room. Black really. But through the door, into the slightly-lit room beyond, everything is dark grey. Smoke. Chemical smoke. The Foundry Hall is not on fire. But chemical smoke means that the Germans do not want him to see anything, or else someone in regimental command does not want the Germans to see him. A distant detonation and shouts snaps him from his fugue state. The Germans have entered the Foundry Hall.

Svidrigilov finds that someone has left for him a PPSH, two drums of ammunition, four grenades (FOUR!), a hunk of stale black bread and... a can of sardines.

Svidrigilov grins, but eats quickly, and his arms shake, because it is time to get back to work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm 
Sergeant Major

Svidrigilov is presently in Hex M-13. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Is anyone still interested?
Game tonight. Will take pix of the situation before we start Turn 2.
I really want to run up another win today. I want to drive German ELR down and force him to take an Idle Day (or two).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next