maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 16928
Oct 31 setup took three hours. About an hour for me because I had pre-planned everything on one of my digital maps. Two hours for P to figure out where he wants to attack.

My setup featured a new look. In the past my front line has been filled up with dummy stacks of concealment markers. The idea was to encourage P to waste his first turn shooting up everything on the landscape. The dummy stacks were interspersed with (sometimes stacked with) conscript speedbump squads whose purpose was to deny movement by dying in place. But mostly the front line was dummy stacks,

For 31 Oct the front line was a thin one squad per hex line of elites in factories. Russian elites start at Morale 8, and Fanatic In Factories makes them morale 9. That line held up incredibly well to P's 31 October Turn 1 Prep Fire and advancing fire. I only lost 1 squad. By the end of German Turn 1 Close Combat Phase my Russians had lost two squads, in turn killing 1.5 German squads. P also used two demolition charges and managed to exhaust a flamethrower (all retained for 1 November).

At this point I'm willing to sacrifice squads to delay the final conquest of the Barriukady factory by, I hope, six days. If I can still have part of the factory complex on 7 November, I will have the CG3 campaign won for certain. If not, the next major fight I am setting up for him is the Commissar's House. I plan to have that fortified to the gills, with exit tunnels leading to supporting trenches, and surrounded by wire.

Oh yes. the current CG day, 31 October, is Clear and Dry with no wind. So Stukas are flying and everything catches on fire more easily than usual.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

End of Russian Turn 2. I'm very proud of P. I told him the only way he was gonna get the factories from me was to blast a damb hole in the line and follow up with flamethrowers and demo packs and by golly he's doing that. So far the talley is 11.5 dead Russian squads and an 8-0, in return for 7.5 dead German squads, an 8-0, and a 9-2.

Anyhow, he's going to take the Gun Tube Processing/Drilling and the Gun Tube Processing/Deburring halls this day. Fortunately, both are now on fire, so his gains will be limited and there will be no roofs for him to use going forward.

He had good and bad luck with Stukas (clear weather day). Got them on Turn 2. Got an improbably hit on one of my MG kill stacks near the Bread Factory, but had a mediocre effect DR. So I have some broken squads but no losses to the kill stack.

Meanwhile I'm picking him off at the margins. So strategically speaking, this day is going to be a draw. It *might* become a Russian Victory if the fires in the two factory halls spread enough to deny him terrain.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 932
mdiehl wrote:
End of Russian Turn 2. I'm very proud of P. I told him the only way he was gonna get the factories from me was to blast a damb hole in the line and follow up with flamethrowers and demo packs and by golly he's doing that. So far the talley is 11.5 dead Russian squads and an 8-0, in return for 7.5 dead German squads, an 8-0, and a 9-2.

Anyhow, he's going to take the Gun Tube Processing/Drilling and the Gun Tube Processing/Deburring halls this day. Fortunately, both are now on fire, so his gains will be limited and there will be no roofs for him to use going forward.

He had good and bad luck with Stukas (clear weather day). Got them on Turn 2. Got an improbably hit on one of my MG kill stacks near the Bread Factory, but had a mediocre effect DR. So I have some broken squads but no losses to the kill stack.

Meanwhile I'm picking him off at the margins. So strategically speaking, this day is going to be a draw. It *might* become a Russian Victory if the fires in the two factory halls spread enough to deny him terrain.

Is this the same game, turn 2?

No blitzkrieg. :o

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm 
Sergeant Major

Blitzkrieg is theoretically doable in mini. The game scale is one 1" hex equals forty meters of ground. A "unit" is typically one tank, one squad (10 men) one half squad, 1 field piece crew, one gun, one leader. A "game" is several hours of one day of fighting in Stalingrad. We're on the 14th Game Day in a 31 day Campaign Game.

We are fighting for ground included by the Barrikady Gun Factory and the Bread Factory, and a couple of locations east of the factor but west of the Volga.

At the moment, P has something like 650 men distributed among various-sized units, several field pieces, large mortars, etc, and one tank, on the map. I playing as the Russians have a bit north of 1100 men and accompanying field pieces, and two mobile T-60s and two immobile T-70s (dug in as bunkers). P has better quality stuff, but the Russian edge in quantity is starting to become a quality of its own. In part that is because I had several days where I pounded the Germans pretty badly, giving ground but inflicting high losses on the Germans with low losses for the Russians. These have allowed me to build up a reasonable force to slow further attacks.

All of this is a relatively good approximation of Stalingrad. The plain historical fact is that the Germans tried to blitz Stalingrad in the early days of the campaign but failed, and after that it was house to house, room to room fighting for two months. Our game is basically the second month of the real city campaign, and ends just prior to the Russian Operation Uranus.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:52 pm 
Sergeant Major

There is a gambit called the "Day 1 Blitz" which is a bit like the seven move checkmate. Like all such gambits, knowing that it exists you prevent it, and the Germans have to fight a slogging match. The way you shut down German mobility is to make sure you put a few antitank ditches in the right places, and have field guns positioned to wreck German vehicles as they proceed through choke points.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:37 pm 
Sergeant Major

End of Turn 3. Phil's German 150mm artillery ran out of ammunition or was busy elsewhere. Both Stukas have now used their bombs, and one of them malfed its machine-gun armament so P voluntarily recalled it to avoid having it shot down. Ps advance into factory halls slowed as Russians pushed back in a couple of successful close combats.

Casualties so far:
13.5 dead German squads, 9-2 leader, 8-0 leader, 7-0 leader.
16 dead Russian squads, 9-2 leader, 8-0 leader.

Luck has cut both ways so I can't legitimately whine about dice rolls. P had an improbable critical hit with a 50mm mortar that fucked up a Russian MG stack, but not before two of them went on Rate Tears that killed off two German squads and assassinated the German 7-0 leader.

P captured a couple of Russian MMGs. These frankly suck. Their breakdown number is low and their range is poor and they're about as man-portable as a grand piano (these are the SG-43 Goryunov type). In German hands (captured weapon) they're almost as likely to malfunction as to get off a shot.

The SG 43 gun weighed 13kg and was mounted on a 40kg caisson from which it could not easily be removed in combat. It also had a truly weird feeding mechanism -- which explains the high malfunction rate and low portability. In ASL I use them in fixed positions well back from the front lines most of the time. In ASL Red Barricades, however, once I have accumulated a bunch of them, I put them in supporting positions very close to the front lines (80m or less) in order to make the feldgraus pay for capturing a hex close to the Russians.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:36 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 4643
This game makes every wargame I've ever played look like tic-tac-toe in comparison.

Makes you feel safe, doesn't it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm 
Sergeant Major

The carnage continued through Turn 4. The casualties are 21.5 squad equivalents of dead Russians and 17.5 of dead Germans, not counting leaders. P definitely had the advantage last night because my morale check and CC DRs stunk. I had elite fanatics in factories taking normal morale checks (need a 9 or less on two dice) and failed those eleven times out of thirteen. When the dice fuck you, all you can do is laugh about it.

At the last minute I caught a break. P had an excellent shot (which fucked up one of my elite squads) but he activated my Sniper, who coughed up a Lethal hit (dr = 1), came down on a stack of Germans, and from Random Selection wound up killing off a 10-2 leader (in the real world that's like killing a very effective combat commander with rank Lt. Colonel or full Colonel).

10-2s are damned hard to come by. Indeed, an Anything -2 is hard to come by. So that was a very convenient truth.

P also hung up a squad across a street unsupported by his mates, so I flanked it with a pair of T-60s so that it could not suddenly realize that it was in a pickle, shot it up with a hidden artillery piece, and wiped it out for inability to conduct Mandatory Route when Broken. You takes your successes where you can make 'em.

Also, the major factory buildings have had so many fires spread around that there's little room left for P to continue the attack. So we have two to three remaining turns in the current (October 31, 1942) campaign day, in which I hope to even up the death toll enough to force him to take another Idle Day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

End of Turn 5, 31 Oct 42. There are 24 squad equivalents of dead Russians and 21.5 squad equivalents dead Germans. The kraut leadership pool is hurting though, having lost six leaders now. Also, the remaining Pz IV F2 was picked off by a Russian molotov projector. The Russians lost two leaders this day.

Flames have engulfed two factory buildings and the result is a bunch of Germans trapped in an overstack, with fire-engulfed hexes blocking their escape, flames closing in, and Russians blocking the exits. If I can keep them penned up for two more turns there is a good chance that they will be caught in the inferno.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14