maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 14927
26 October 1942
Russian Turn 4:

150mm OBA red cards, losing battery access. The Russians arson F-44, D-43, C-40 and H-38. Mortars fire in various places mostly ineffectively trying to suppress Germans in BB-10 and CC-10 rubble and C-35 B-24 rubble.

Russian crews abandon B-25 and C-26 hexes fleeing eastward across the railroad embankment along Tramvanaya St. Most Russians skulk away from German potential fires during movement. More troops are sent into the Deburring Hall to bolster the line there.

German Defensive Fire is mostly ineffective but the German 150mm OBA centered on M-24 reduced two more Russian squads.

Russian Advance phase sees the Russians reclaiming S-18 and S-17 in the deburring hall.

German Turn 5.

The Germans use Battalion Mortar OBA to drop smoke in K-21 and the StuGIII slides up to N-21 trying to get decent shots at my MG kill stack in P-20.

The Germans penetrate into the area southeast of the corner of Abatovskaya St and Tramvanaya, seizing F-21 ground and Level 1, G-22 and G-23 rubble, J-21 and K-22 rubble, and the ground level of M-22. Russiand defensive fire red cards the 150mm a second time and the Russians lose artillery support for the remainder of the CG day. A Russian engineer with flamethrower breaks all the Germans in K-22, and the emplaced 45L antitank gun in FF-12 finally has the 8-1 and squads in FF-10 zeroed in. The German 8-1 breaks as does one of the squads. 80mm Russian mortars break up German mortar crews in BB-10. The Russian rolls an ominous task check with a hidden unit but nothing happens. Close combat winds up with a berserk German 5-4-8 contesting R-17 against a Russian 5-2-7 in the Deburring Hall. They wind up locked in melee.

German sniper suppresses Russian Sniper this turn.

Russian Turn 5

Prep fire sees the ominous hidden German passing a task check. The Germans have a heroic 10-3 leader, a hero, and three squads with MMGs in M-22. The task check is to set off a hidden Demolition Charge in ground level of M-22 and the IFT DR (a 36-3 attack) is a 4 modified to a 1. Net result is that the entire building collapses, leaving a rubble pile in M-22 and wiping out the German heroic leader, the other hero, the three squads, and the MMGs. This is easily the best moment of the day for the Russians because that 10-3 was a dambed nasty effective critter. The loss of those squads, the MMGs and the leader, along with two PzIVs will likely force P to take an Idle Day on the 27th. The emplaced 45L ATG in FF-12 breaks t he remaining sqyads in FF-10. A Russian squad moves into FF-11 with an eye towards recapturing FF-10 during the advance phase... which ultimately happens.

The Russians arson I-39, C-41, D-44 and D-45. Why all the arson? I'm burning down wooden buildings that are lien of site obstacles to my defenders in the vicinity of the Bread Factory and doing my best to burn wooden rubble so that it becomes almost open-ground.

German sniper kias a Russian sniper this turn, reducing Russian Sniper Activation Number to 3.

During German Defensive Fire P goes on a rate tear and wipes out the Berserk German and the Russian in R-17.

Russians retake R-17 and S-17.

The end of CG die roll at the end of Turn 5 is a dr=4, so the CG day shall continue at least another turn.

At this point, the Germans will get a CG day win on stone locations captured but the Russians are handily winning the body count war on this day.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 am 
Sergeant Major

So far, all the tanks I have purchased have been light tanks, dug-in (immobile forever). Time to purchase some T60s not-dug in. Now, the T-60 is crap for a tank. It has a 20mm cannon that can kill an Sdkfz or half track, or at very close range an early PzIII, but it's more like a bad mobile machinegun. The merit of the T-60 is that it is cheap in CPP costs, and the Russians can assign Riders to them. So I think I can make trouble along the east edge of the map by zipping along the Volga river bank below the edge of the bluff to DD2, turn up into the CC3 ravine, and retake the Z1-Z2 multihex stone building. That not only gains back hexes that P will have to reconquer for a total campaign win, but it'd be a major operation to shift his axis of attack in that direction. He'd lose momentum in the center and I might be able to push back a bit there.

That is why in the current 26 Oct CG Day I pushed the Germans out of FF10. Ultimately on this day I want to drive the Russian line into DD8 before the day ends. That way on the next combat CG day, I can set up the T60s and riders as Hidden Initial Placement in the DD6 Brush (because the Russian perimeter at the end of the 26 October CG day will exit the map in the DD hexrow).

From DD6 to DD2 is less than half the MF of a T70, so the tanks can unload adjacent to DD2 and my squads can move into the ground levels of DD2 during the Advance Phase.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:06 pm 
Sergeant Major

Turn 6

Germans call for a new round of 150 mm OBA. P declares FFE, rolls for accuracy, fails, and the blast center lands in B-28 encompassing a broen Russian 6-2-8, a Russian 1-2-7 crew and three German 4-6-7 squads. The Russians survive but the Germans break, with two losing ELR and replaced by 4-4-7 squads. This turns out to cost P the CG day victory for 26 Oct.

The picture in the middle sees P seizing a couple stone rubble hexes G23, I-23, J-22 and K-23.

In Defensive fire I roll consecutive boxcars, disabling two light mortars. Theres a bunch of shootingvall around but nothing special .. no permanent casualties. Well, P discovers my 6+1 leader on a factory roof. Now, sixplusone is the WORST leader in ASL. It means he has the personal morale of a conscript, causes his men to run away, and makes the people around him less effective at shooting. So this guy has been manning a field phone.. about the only thing he can use without making it worse.. but he broke it in Turn 2. P throws the kitchen sink at it. Two mg kill stacks, 80mm mortar, a PaK40 and a PzIV all banging away it him. He wounds twice but does not die, and is evacuated at game end during the refit phase.

During the Russian Turn I roll double sixes to fix the busted mortars and they're removed from game. Then I roll double snake-eyes, battle hardening two Russian 4-4-7 squads that become 4-5-8s. A dc placement on the StuG in N-21 is poor and the tank is not affected. During the advance phase, Russians take back the S-17 hex.

As it turns out, P loses the CG day by capturing only 23 of the required 24 hexes because the game-day ends at the end of the turn.

The final CVP talley is 53 dead Germans (including two PzIVs) and 40 CVP dead Russians.

During Refit, a wounded 9-0 commissar is also evacuated along with the aformentioned wounded 6+1 leader. Five Russian squads battle harden because of a good DR so I replace five 5-2-7s with 6-2-8s. The Russian hero is also removed and battle hardens a 4-4-7 into a 4-5-8. Russian 7-0 leader promotes to 8-0.

The Russians dice up 18 CPP to buy new troops. I add the folowing to my OOB for Oct 28:

24 4-4-7 squads with two each of HMG, MMG, LMG, ltmtr, and ATR. One each of leaders 9-2, 9-1, 8-0. The squads and leaders are "in reserve" and will form a second line on the 28th. A battery of four 76mm dual purpose arty/antitank guns with crews, another 120 fpp for fortifications, three T-60s with an 8-1 armor leader, and another module of light offboard artillery.

A bunch of wood locations on the south end will be on fire on the 28th, limiting P's options about where to attack. With the beating his armor and squads took, and with his attack options predictably narrow, I suspect he might take an Idle Day on the 28th. Was I in his position I'd take THREE idle days and pound the crap out of th Russians on the 31st.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game tomorrow. P opts not to take an Idle Day so he's attacking. Prolly means he moves strong into the factory from the west and NW corner of the factory from the ground already seized. I must defend it but also have to worry about rocket attack preceding his attack. In his shoes that is what I'd do. I'd have a preregistered rocket attack on an objective factory and move in with massive force right after the bombardment stops. I'd do that every day until he's used up all the rocket OBA that CGIII allows him to use.

My goal is to try to hold some doors and corners in the factories while burning off the roof and maximizing P's losses. The T-60s will be held off-map unless he gets froggy in the SW corner of the map opposite the Bread Factory.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 pm 
Sergeant Major

Setup took a long time. P bought rocket OBA, some other OBA, and infantry in reserve. We played the first half ot Turn 1 (German Turn 1). P got battery access for the rockets but failed the subsequent card draw for attempting to place AR next to an unknown unit with no known enemy units in line of sight. P red-carded the other module on the first card draw. The Russians gained access to one of the 70mm OBA modules. Spotting round on map but not converted yet to FFE. It's gonna be mandatory correction in Russian Turn 1 Prep Fire.

Highlights: in three close combats the Germans ambushed in two and won all three. The Russians lost a conscript half squad, a conscript squad, and a 1-2-7 crew. A StuG moved to E-26 to bring the G16-28 factory under its guns... but was destroyed by an emplaced Russian 76L firing from E-32 the Russian sniper killed off a German 8-1 in the backfield of the northeast side, and a German half squad was casualty reduced by mortar shots fired into BB-14.

Good start for the Germans in seizing terrain. Russians ahead on casualties inflicted.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am 
Sergeant Major

Evidence that the worm is slowly turning in favor of the Russians: I kept six engineer squads, support weapons, dcs, a flamethrower, a decent leader, and 3 T-60s off map for operations in the SW corner if P moves on in that area. I'm building up a reserve force for a substantial counterattack. The goal will be to drive into the Germans' long north-south flank east of the factories, parallel to the Volga. I've also constructed one fortification complex near the Bread Factory that will be a damb hard nut to crack even using heavy artillery or rockets. I'm building another complex near the Red House next to the Volga. Trenches, barbed wire, fortified buildings and multiple pillboxes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12