maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15552
You roll for ammunition availability after you pony up the Campaign Purchase Points (CPP). 70mm costs 1 CPP so it's cheap cheap cheap. By comparison, a Rifle Company costs 5 CPP, a battery of 120mm OBA costs 3 CPP etc. I just rolled poorly. I could have rolled low and picked up "plentiful ammo" but the dice did not turn that way.

It is worth the price even with scarce ammo. 70mm won't do alot of personnel damage because of abundant heavy (stone building or stone rubble) cover. But once it comes down, it pretty much freezes movement and denies a chunk of the map to the Germans for as long as the module stays active. If I start it up on Turn 3 I should be able to use it to plug any breakthroughs that develop on the west side of the factory complex where available cover is more debris and wood rather than stone rubble or stone buildings.

For heavy hitting in heavy cover I still have the 120mm module with Normal ammo. That cost 3 CPP. 150mm artillery costs 5 CPP. Rocket artillery (which you only get for ONE mission) costs 3 CPP but it has terrible accuracy. It's much more useful to the Germans than to the Russians.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:05 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. 24 October 1942 was a Russian win all around. 25 October was an Idle Day.

My final purchase roster is as follows:

25 Oct: Rifle Co in Reserve, Guards SMG in reserve, Mol Platoon in Reserve, all three available for unrestricted use on the 26th, 80 fortification points, sniper boost.

26 October: Heavy Weapons Co. Dug-in T-70 tank platoon. 1 module 70mm OBA as mentioned before (with scarce ammo), one module 120mm OBA with normal ammo, 120 Fort points, sniper boost.

I fully expect P to bring better focus to his attack this day, identify a piece of the battlefield, and crush it like a tin can (unless the dice completely betray him artillery-wise). Fortunately, I now have enough units on the battlefield that I can defend in depth, with a forward-deployed minimally manned contact line, a main line of resistence set back from that, and operational reserves rearward ready to move forward to prevent major breakthroughs from turning into exploitations.

I know P brings insufficient infantry and heavy weapons going into the 25th but he has decent infantry gun and Pak40 support and two unused modules of offboard artillery. I expect him to provide off-board observers for both OBA modules, and bring in at least two new rifle companies, or else a pioneer company, on the 25th, and boost that with another heavy weapons company (which deploys on-map), and either another rifle company or a buttload of tanks.

The original 17 October OOB included PzIIILs but those were all destroyed, and he brought in StuGIIIGs on the 22nd, but two of the three of those have been destroyed.

Deeper strategy. I want to give him a plum looking target to waste his 150mm on. It cost him 5 CPP and I really want him to burn that shit up on stuff that offers minimal rewards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

Set up has the Russians spread out and the attacking Germans concentrated at the point of attack. P sets out aggressively attacking southward from the southern foundry hall vicinity of L19 and surrounding hexes and from the Assembly hall. Kill stacks shoot out the equivalent of 3 Russian squads... mostly conscripts. I forward deployed them as a kind of picket line to force P to shoot, but he had som excellent multishot rate tears so he did about twice the usual damage. P also reveals some expensive Pz IVF models vicinity of A30-31 on the east edge so I expect a local infantry assault there with the goal of scooping up the B23-C23 rubbled building, the C28-29 building and the C33 building.

There is little chance of denying him a terrain win this day but I think I can extract a price in casualties.

Russian 120mm offboard artillery drops a spotting round in H21 and there is a dense concentration of Germans in the area so that may stop P for a bunch of turns after I correct fire to the edge of the southern foundry hall. Russian 70mm OBA lands offboard near the tanks, which means Mandatory Correction (no FFE) for that module during Russian Prep Fire turn 1. That is ok. Dont need it until Russian Defensive Fire during German Turn 2. If he brings on infantry in open ground to support those tanks, 70 mm will messthem up quite well because OPEN GROUND no cover in the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday, begining Russian Turn 1, in which the Russians will attempt to put spotting rounds in places that can deliver a beating on the Russians, and in which the Russians will attempt to ko a PzIVF.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2952
So, how did the evening go?

Soviets triumphant or Germans resurgent? ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:27 pm 
Sergeant Major

We both have so many units on the map now that it takes an evening to do a turn. Especially for P because assaulting in the face of the unknown requires more brain-share than defending. My experience playing the Russians is you make a plan, you stick to the plan as best you can, and then you don't have much control over the final outcome.

So on to update. End of German Player Turn 2 waiting for Russian Player Turn 2:

My 120mm FFE came down in Russian Prep Fire Turn 1 and broke up Phil's Germans attacking south towards the rubbled power plant. P has shifted the direction of attack due eastward but knows he will have tough slogging because I have a defense in depth with scouts in front to block movement, backed immediately in the forward resistence line by flamethrowers and HMGs, and with good reserves (not "Purchase In Reserve" but rather deployed by me initially in places where they can react to and contain German breakthroughs).

All the action is in the middle and on the west edge. Along the west board edge I am basically luring P into attacking slowly to gain hexes that if he just piled a bunch of units on and attacked from the western map edge he could easily take.

Puzzling to me... three PzIVFs enter without infantry support as indicated on the attached map. Maybe he intended to bring on infantry but the placement of a Russian spotting round is deterring him from bringing them on the map edge. Anyhow, I have maybe one turn (Russian Turn 2) to gain from his error. There are a bunch of Russians in the area that MIGHT be able to knock out one or even two of those PzIVs. That would be a great result. He doesn't get to buy alot of PzIVFs and StuGIIIGs, and he's already lost two StuGs. If I can strip away his best armor, then at some later date I can buy some KV-1s and T-34s and really make hay with them. The other PzIVs and StuGs are earlier versions with short-barrelled 75mm infantry guns rather than the long barrelled PaK 75, and they have weaker armor than the StuG IIIGs and PzIVFs.

My plans for Russian Turn 2 are to hide, generally, except where I attempt to kill those PzIVs. I also want to try to push the Germans back along the waterfront a little. I have a plan for that which involves a couple squads, a couple half squads, and a 45L antitank gun that also has normal HE. It doesn't take a great die roll to get a critical hit on infantry with direct fire.

Anyhow... here's the map:

Attachments:
RBCGIII-Map 26 Oct end German 2.png
RBCGIII-Map 26 Oct end German 2.png [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 353 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 pm 
Sergeant Major

Played through end of German Turn 3 26 October. Germans gaining ground. Russians winning the body count.

So Red - Russians
Blue - Germans

Both Russia and German got in effective 150mm OBA that are inflicting casualties. Germans are positioned to inflict up to 3 more squads casualties, Russians could burn as many as 8 more German squads. Other German offboard artillery is messing around with spotting rounds. The Russian 70mm OBA field phone broke (DR=12) so that module is unavailable for the rest of 26 October.

Russian OBA has gutted an attempt to move into the gun tube thermal processing and deburring hall. Russians bagged the two unsupported PzIVF2s on the southwest flank. Both were knocked out by flank or rear shots using an antitank rifle. I think he just got excited about attempting tank overruns ... that can sort of work for the Germans in the first two or three campaign days when the Russians are spread pretty thin. It was "A bad call, Ripley" to try to do that knowing all the concealed Russians in the area without supporting the tanks with some infantry.

P rolled something like seven snake-eyes, generating six battle hardened squads, two heroes, and a Berserk German sturm squad that is going to be gunned down. He also permanently malfed another 80mm mortar, and managed to blow up one of his Sturm squads that was already broken by failing a morale check with a DR=12 (casualty reduction for breaking a second time, casualty reduction again for the DR=12).

Russians have lost one leader so far, Germans have lost two.

I can't stop P from pushing his Germans into the NW edge of the Soviet main line of resistance but I can make him move slowly and I can make him pay a price in casualties.

The Big Yellow Stars are locations where the Germans and Russians shot the shit out of each other with MGs, demolition charges, artillery, and squad firepower. Russians more or less won that little fracas on body count, but there were lots of casualties on both sides.

Attachments:
26 Oct end German T3.png
26 Oct end German T3.png [ 1.45 MiB | Viewed 327 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am 
Sergeant Major

P is about halfway to making the terrain goal required for a German CG Day win on 26 October. By my count he has 12 of the necessary 24 stone locations for a "day win." He's behind on the CVP tally. The casualties in squads probably favor P by 2-4 casualty victory points, but that is more than made up by his loss of an 80mm mortar (2 CVP) and two PzIVF2s with their crews (10 CVP).

Much now hinges on the duration during which I can keep the Russian 150mm OBA falling on the board. If I can avoid red-carding it, just having a spotting round in a dangerous place can channel P's attack and block access to ground from which he can exploit.

The long-term goal is to run up his casualties. If I can force him to take a couple more operational pauses, I should be able to muster a counterattack force built around a half-company of riflemen and 4-6 T-60s and T-70s. If I can strike hard along the Volga river line and get back into the stone buildings northeast of Leninskii Prospect (the Y-hexrow paved street). It can cause him all manner of problems and force him to dedicate more troops to holding ground, weakening his attacks along their major attack points.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:54 am 
Sergeant Major

Going to try to play through the end of Russian 4 on Friday. Goal is to increase the CVPs. If I prevent a terrain win to the Germans that's icing on the cake. I'd like to force P into another Idle Day for October 27.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:15 pm 
Sergeant Major

Bought a new ASL historical module to add to the "to do" list. "Hatten in Flames." Five days of US vs Germans in Hatten in Alsace region of France January 1945. A few panthers, a bunch of Mark IVs, and various SdK 251s, vs M4A3-75(w), M4A3-76(2), M-10s, M18s, M8-GMC, and M8-AC.

Plus mobs of infantry of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next