maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 13014
In P's shoes I'd take an Idle Day. 22 Oct is ordinary except he is low on infantry and importantly lost five support weapons, a gun, and a stug. On the 23 howver the entire western map edge becomes eligible for German entry. To cover it all the Russians would have to be thinly spread. Since the Russians set up first, the Germans can concentrate and overwhelm one sector of the Russian defense.

IMO the smart move for him is to take an idle day and purchase two rifle companies in reserve. That will almost double his infantry force and add 2 hmgs and 2 mmgs. Then on the 23rd take a Sturm Co and something else.. maybe more StuGs.

My purchases will be a Guards SMG Co and a rifle Co both in reserve and a bunch of forts. On the 22nd if P attacks I will yield slowly. Not going to offer quite the same level of resistence as on the 21st.

On the 23.. not sure. Depends on whether P attacks on the 22.

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. P has chosen and Idle Day for October 22. So I have another round of CPP expenditures to make.

My choices are either lots of artillery, forts, and two Submachine Gun companies, or instead the same with one SMG company, another molotov projector platoon, and mol capability.

I am leaning towards the latter. I am a bit concerned about the need for more ability to wreck tanks. He could have a bunch coming on map on the 23rd and the allowable entry hexes for the Germans now include the entire west end of the map.

Also, since I have now two days worth of fortification points accrued, maybe I purchase only 120 FPP for 23 October and use the remaining FPP to purchase a Sniper Activation Number increase (from 3 to 4).

My replenishment and other DRs for the Oct 23 CG day resulted in:

Two squads battle harden.
One 7-0 leader promotes to 8-0
16 CPP
Russian ELR increases to 4 (that is a very good result... I tried to set that up and succeeded, by purchasing both an elite company and a 1st line company on 22 October).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 am 
Sergeant Major

Turn 1, Oct 23: Germans open up fitfully shooting and eliminating stacks of dummy conceals. Also break a Russian 4-4-7, and the German snipers kill a Russian 9-2 leader. Ouch. Along the way they malfunction an 80mm mortar and a 150mm infantry gun. Ouch for the Germans good for the Russians.

A German 4-4-7 attempts to scale the cliff near the river and is shot out by a hidden pair of Russian hmgs. Germans move into the south foundry hall, and advance a half squad into an apparently clear factory hex. Three German 5-5-8s with lmgs and a leader advance adjacent. Hidden Initial Placement Russians in the 2-2-7 hex ambush and eliminate the half squad. In turn 1 the other hidden Russians show their MMGs. Its 3x6-2-8s with MMGs and a 9-2. The 30-1 shot is a kia and random selection kills two of the 5-4-8s and break the remaining German squad and leader. The Sovs kindle a bunch of large buildings near the east map edge and prepare to fall back. One of the heroic Rus 6-2-8s fails an nmc on 12 and casualty-reduces. One Russian OBA module breaks a field phone so the artillery module is lost for the day but retained for Oct 24.

P has a mess of Germans in the deburring hall in the same place wher katyushas messed him up on the 21st. 120mm Russian oba is ranging on the spot to deliver more carnage. With luck I get that going in Turn 2.

Post subject: Anatomy of a Red Barricades Trap set by Russians
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:21 pm 
Sergeant Major

Here is the detailed anatomy of a kill stack trap that worked.

For our purposes we zoom in on the the two Foundry Halls on the west side of the complex, the North and South Foundary Hall.

In Map 1 we see what the German and Russian players see after set up (Russian sets up first, German moves first). The initiative is with P (the German player) who gets to SHOOT FIRST. Nothing in the Russian OOB can stand up to a German kill stack, so my goal everywhere is to make the German player waste his first turn shooting up stuff. (If the phasing player shoots in prep fire, they do not get to move normally, they do get to advance one hex near the end of the Player Turn).

Generally for the phasing player it works like this.

1. Phasing player shoots anything that wants to shoot. "Prep Fire"
2. Phasing player moves anything that did not shoot. While his is moving the non-phasing player can shoot at moving stuff. "Defensive First Fire"
3. Non-phasing player shoots at anything with units that did not shoot when the phasing player was moving. "Defensive Final Fire"
4. Phasing player shoots with any units that moved (at half firepower, generally).
5. Broken Units from both sides now run away.
6. Phasing player gets to advance units (except tanks) one hex farther.
7. Close combat caused by phasing player advancing units into hex(es) that contain(s) non-phasing player's units.

On the map below, question marks are stacks of squads covered by a concealment marker (players do not get to inspect enemy stacks with ?s). Also, players may purchase at very low expense "dummy ?s" which can be stacked up to look like stacks of squads. This promotes battlefield uncertainty and reduces omniscience... a great game design mechanism that hearkens from the days before computer games existed.

Finally, SOME units (at much greater expense) may set up "Hidden Initial Placement." Their location is secretly recorded. There are no counters... no dummy stacks etc to mark their location.

In the example in the map, the Germans have set up stacks of squads under concealments. I don't know that for sure at start, but it's the likely bet since the Germans are attacking. They are indicated in light blue. The Russians are in red and in yellow. The Red ?s are all dummy concealments. There are no actual Russians there. The yellow ones are real Russian units under concealment markers. On the map in the game they look the same but I have marked them in this demonstration by using different colors.

On Turn 1, the German deploys a squad in each of two locations. Deployment breaks a German 4-4-7 squad into two 2-3-7 half-squads. Deployed half squads are great for scouting. In our example, the deployments occur in the green-outlined hexes, K-14 and M-14.

Attachments:
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 1.png
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 1.png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 117 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 pm 
Sergeant Major

During Prep Fire, the German shoots from J-1514 into K-15 getting a Normal Morale Check. The dummy ?s are removed because of the fire result. During movement a deployed German half squad rushes from M-14 into M-15 (because a shot from a kill stack across the alley, not shown, did not strip the stack of Russian ?s in M15 and P really wants to know what is there). In ASL jargon this is casually called 'bumping.' During Movement Phase, a squad can't enter a hex with known enemy units (with certain exceptions like Human Wave attacks but that doesn't matter here). But a squad can ATTEMPT to move into a pile of UNKNOWN enemy units under a concealment marker. If the concealed stack contains one or more real units (at least one will be revealed by the bump and lose concealment) then the Moving unit is denied entry. If the stack is just dummy conceals, they dummy stack goes away and the moving unit is in the hex.

Attachments:
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 2.png
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 2.png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 117 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:46 pm 
Sergeant Major

One deployed 2-2-7 runs into M-15 from M-14. One runs from K-14 into K-15 eliminating the Russian concealment markers. Another runs from K-14 into K-15 then L-15, stripping away a dummy concealment stack.

So after German Turn 1 Movement Phase, the map shows the disposition of forces as they appear in the southern Foundry Hall. Note that the RED ASTERISK contains Hidden Initial Placement Russians, who have not fired, nor has anyone attempted to move into their hex. As far as the German player knows, Hex L-16 is empty. A German kill stack has run forward far enough to lose concealment. It is L-14. Three German Sturm Squads (5-4-8s) each with an LMg (3 firepower) and a 9-2 leader. This is a deadly stack. At adjacent targets even after moving it can throw 24 firepower and 12 firepower out to a couple hexes, with favorable bonuses for the 9-2 leader directing fire.

Attachments:
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 3.png
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 3.png [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 116 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 pm 
Sergeant Major

Now, during the Advance Phase, Phasing Player (in this case German) units can move an additional hex. Advance Phase is how one gets units into a hex with enemy units for "close combat" (which is a very short range firefight). Its the only time you can enter an enemy hex with real units. P wants to know about L-16 and in any case if there's nothing there, is thinking ahead to Russian Prep Fire Turn 1, in which he'd really like me to shoot with some of the units marked by Yellow Conceals. At this point, he's become convinced that my first line of defense in the southern Foundry Hall is a big bluff.. a potemkin village defense .. which it sort of was. Sort of.

So here's the situation after the German Advance Phase.

Close Combat now occurs because there is a German 2-2-7 in the same hex with the Hidden Initial Placement Russian SMG squad kill stack. I choose to reveal 1 squad of the three hidden squads. We roll for ambush. The Russians are Stealthy (-1), Concealed (-2) and Leader Directed (-2).... yielded a net -5 to the 1d6 Ambush DR. I roll a 4, yielding a -1 final result. P rolls a 3. The Russians ambush the German 2-2-7 half squad eliminating it.

Attachments:
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 4.png
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 4.png [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 116 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:13 pm 
Sergeant Major

During Russian Prep Fire Turn 1, the remainder of the Russian Kill Stack reveals itself with a devastating shot on the adjacent German kill stack. The effect is a 1 KIA (one unit eliminated) but when multiple units are stacked, Random Selection determines which unit falls. In Random Selection a d6 is rolled for each unit and the highest roll unit is the one killed. However, two of the German Sturm Squads roll 5s, and are both eliminated. The remaining units, one -5-4-8 sturm with an LMG, and a 9-2 leader, break, and run away during Route Phase. Two German LMGs are abandoned in Hex L-15 because the squads that possessed them were eliminated.

It could have been worse for the German. On an original IFT colored d6 roll of 1 or 2, my Russian MMGs would have been able to fire a second shot, at 24-1. That would likely have taken out the German leader and the remaining Sturm squad.

Anyhow. Stiff fight is now developing in the Southern Foundry Hall and in the Gun Final Assembly hall. Lots of stuff happening elsewhere but it is interesting that the "trap" worked. And P will have to move cautiously to get into that Southern Foundry Hall because the Russian Kill Stack is still there, has regained Concealment (at the end of the Russian player turn) and has support on its flanks.

Attachments:
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 5.png
Anatomy of a Red Barricades Tactical Trap page 5.png [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 116 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8