maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Stalingrad ASL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11948
Any chance the upload feature will be fixed?

"And the story was whatever was the song what it was." - Dire Straits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:31 am 
Sergeant Major

So here's the Russian order of battle for Oct 20.

160 fort points.
3xT-60s, dug-in
3xT-70s, dug-in
1x45LL AT
3x76*Infantry Gun
2x82mm mortar
1x.50 cal HMG
5xHMG
7xMMG
5xLMG
4xATR
5x 50mm light mortar

1x 10-0 Commissar
1x 10-2
1x 9-2 (wounded)
2x 9-2
2x 9-1
4x 8-1
2x 8-1
1x 7-0

6x 2-2-8 (crew)
4x 1-2-7 (crew)

9x 5-2-7 + leaders (in reserve this day)
3x 5-2-7
1x 4-5-8
41x 4-4-7
30x 4-2-6

1x Bn Mortar (82mm offboard) module with Normal Ammunition and a radio
1x Med Arty (120mm offboard) module with Plentiful Ammunition, preregistration, and a field phone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:35 am 
Sergeant Major

I expect 20 October to be a bloody day all around. I have enough SW to create a couple kill zones with overlapping fields of fire and to resist a bit more resolutely, or foolishly, depending on how it turns out. It should be a buttload of fun though and now I will learn something new by experience about how one resists using the Russians rather than always strategically ceding ground.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:22 pm 
Sergeant Major

Comrade Corporal Svidrigilov stands at attention. Comrade Commissar Aaltonen pointedly asks Svidrigilov was he not instructed to bring captured documents, weapons and other noteworthy finds to the Commissar? And was not the six cans of sardines recoverd from the body of a German sergeant NOT a noteworthy find? And did comrade corporal Svidrigilov take upon himself the authority of the state when comrade corporal Svidrigilov saw fit to share said sardines with seven laborers from the gun deburring hall who had been pressed into service for the defense of this sacred city?

Svidrigilov stands mute.

You and you new found friends will wait atop the rooftop at grid ccordinate O9 and prevent any fascists from observing from that factory roof.

Svidrigilov is aghast. That factory is overrun with Germans save for thirty meters near the north end. He and the conscripts will be trapped on the roof if the Germans push south to the only stairwell at that end of the building.

"if it please Comrade Commissar Aaltonen, may we each carry two grenades to defend the stairwell?"

"You may carry two grenades. Your friends may carry their rifles."

So it comes to pass that around 10 am on October 20, 1942, Svidrigilov and nine conscripts are trapped on the factory roof in grid ccordinate O9. A german Sturm squad sharing the roof seems to have no lack of ammunition as Svidrigilov shields himself behind an elevator motor house on the roof. His new squad gamely pop away from time to time at the Germans who seem in no hurry to leave THEIR cover either. "Perhaps that is because that German mortar team to our west now seems to be finding the range to our position." he surmises.

Twenty feet behind Svidrigilov, Comrade Pentnov, who has no rank, is very pale and his eyes are huge and white. And now Svidrigilov hears the sounds of a German shouting orders at the bottom of the stairwell, and also a .... motor? But the factory is closed and there are no motors.

Oh Gods. A panzer! In the factory. A German tank and a German half squad have cut his exit to the building, and his squad is trapped between motars and stormtroopers above and infantry and a tank below.

And yet... Svidrigilov hears a long burst of fire from grid ccordinate O10 and there's no mistaking the mechanical clatter of mulitiple PPSHs. There are shouts of agony below. Worming to the stairwell entry, Svidrigilov sees four unmoving grey bodies. And now the view below is clouded as greats gusts of masonry dust explode around the tank. A dug-in T60 in N10 is pumping out shots from its 20mm rat gun, looking for weak spots on the side of the PzIIIL below. Svidrigilov has never seen a tank shoot so quckly. In quick succession, two rounds strike the panzer in the bogie wheel and the tank's right track slithers onto the factory floor. Three more rounds strike the tank's turret and one of them seems to have silenced the coaxial macine gun.

Svidrigilov shouts to be heard in the sonic fog of noise. "Comrades! We are leaving!!"

Down the stairwell, tumbling, falling, Svidrigilov and nine former factory workers cascade onto the roof and deck of the panzer. Pentanov throws his coat over the closed turret hatch to obscur the commander's view. As an afterthought, Svidrigilov slips two grenades into the tank's barrel, twisting the handle to ignite the fuse of the second grenade. There is a barely heard "pop" and smoke starts to billow out from under Pentanov's coat.

Last edited by mdiehl on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:35 pm 
Sergeant Major

That was in Turn 1. The Pz was both immobilized by a hull hit tkDR equal to the tk number, and then stunned by a turret hit tkDR equal to the tk number fired by the T60 who went on an impressive rate tear - 7 shots. Normally squads have to make a PAATC (pre armor assault task check) to go into close combat with a tank, but Russians in Red Barricades are Fanatic in factories, so no PAATC is required. despite being lax, the conscripts ambush the tank because it has lots of penalties. Ther tkDR in CC starts as a 5, suffers a +1 DRm for being Inexperienced troops, but gain -3 DRm because the tank is immobilized, stunned, and ambushed. Rolling a 6 on two dice (modified to a 4 after DR modifiers are applied) the Conscript squad destroys the tank.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 am 
Sergeant Major

SO, game on tonight. I have two modules of OBA on the map in perfect places, and one of them is 120mm. If he steps into it I'm gonna blast a bunch of German squads to pieces because their best cover is only +2 terrain. I have set the P9 factory hex alight (flame) and it has +4 terrain fortified so P can't push me out easily until the flame turns to a Blaze. After that, I can leave and the entire 8 hex factory will be Gutted, depriving P of Level 2 observation points for 21 October.

Also, I really want to win the 20 October CG day and to pound his troops so I plan to stay and fight for a while this day. I want his losses to exceed 20 CVP so that his force level will be sketchy and to cause him to have an ELR (elan loss rating) drop. Basically, I want to force him to take a 21 October Idle Day or else attack with a weakened force.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:58 pm 
Sergeant Major

P brought in assault engineers. Used a DC to breach the P9 fort and eventually shot out the squads. I used an HMG kill stack in X10 L1 to drive them out long enough for the blaze to flame. I lost two conscript squads in the effort and an 8-0 leader but it was worth it for killing the PzIII and burning the factory. In the vicinity Z6 Y7 X7 W8 my 120mm oba rolls once again stunk but they were just good enough to force enough MCs to break up his attack towards the X9 W10 stone building that I'd like to hold to the end of the day. It's end of Turn 4 and p only has 5 of 24 needed new stone locations to get a Cg day win. If my 120mm keeps going I will win the Oct 20 day.

Owing to the P9 Blaze P's only approach to the giant O10 + factory complex (the gun assembly hall) is via P10. He's been in and shot/mined out of K10.

He's doing a bit better on infantry cas than me owing to my conscript losses... six CVP dead Germans vs 13 dead Russians. But half of his losses have been 5-4-8s. The total CVP favors the Russians by 1 owing to the destroyed panzer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm 
Sergeant Major

Game Friday. Goals for the 2-4 remaining turns.

1. Continue to bring down 120mm OBA to cause substantial German casualties.
2. Lure Germans into advancing into terrain that leaves them vulnerable elsewhere.
3. Recapture 4 stone locations lost on October 19.
4. Maintain a 1:1 or better casualty victory point ratio favoring the Russians.
5. Inflict sufficient casualties to force P to take an Idle Day for Oct 21.

The latter would provide an interesting challenge. If he's lost enough squads on October 20 then he needs to start thinking about an Idle Day just to maintain something like 2:3 in infantry squads vs the Russians. Also, his ELR could drop. But if he does that, it's also tempting to take an Idle Day on the 22nd because the entire west edge of the mapboard becomes eligible for German entry on the 23rd. But if he does that, it gives the Russians three days of reinforcements and, especially fortification construction.

For my part, I'm looking at some Molotov Cocktail Projector platoons in the near future because they have a 1/6 chance of starting a flame in a target hex, and because a hit always drops Dispersed Smoke in the target hex. That could help alot when he starts bringing flamethrowers forward because flamethrowers ignore Terrain Effects Modifiers (cover, such as buildings, rubble, trenchers, etc) but not line of sight hindrances (concealment, like Smoke). So he'd be 24+3 shooting out of Dispersed Smoke rather than 24 no modifiers. The +3 is equivalent to halving his firepower (roughly the same as a 12 no modifiers). Flames in the target hex are useful because Blazes that are not Kindled by the Russian (meaning, not set on fire with squads trying to light up their location) don't award control of strategic hexes to the Germans. In contrast, if one lights fires by Kindling, strategic hex control passes to the Germans for each hex ultimately affected by the fire. And I need to burn down some important buildings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:16 pm 
Sergeant Major

No game this evening. Opfor has a bug.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm 
Sergeant Major

Held the line so far through the end of turn 5. Casualties 22 CVP dead Russians 19 CVP dead Germans. Wire and mines still giving P pause. He also burned out a flamethrower trying to use it shooting from smoke hex into smoke hex. Most of the German casualties are 1st line and elite squads, and one tank. The Russian cas are mostly conscripts and a tank.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next