maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: Rising Storm (Red Orchestra 2) FREE for next 2 hours!
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 am 
Hair in the soap

Reputation points: 14050
Better hurry! Only 2 hours left!

Think it's a Steam key.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/risi ... ar-edition

Rising Storm is the Pacific version of Red Orchestra 2. Great 'tactical' multi-player FPS.

Post subject: Re: Rising Storm (Red Orchestra 2) FREE for next 2 hours!
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 am 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 4420
Still play it, Nef? Or just waiting for Vietnam...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 pm 
Hair in the soap

wulfir wrote:
Still play it, Nef? Or just waiting for Vietnam...

I rarely do first-person shooters these days. My shooter twitching just isn't as fast as it used to be.

Hell, I picked up ARMA 3 last year, on a sale, and have yet to even start it up. :? That's probably due, in part, to my PC gaming dropping off precipitously this year.

I'd definitely like to get Rising Storm: Vietnam at some point. But I'll wait until I have an FPS itch to scratch.

That said, RO2/Rising Storm was one of the very few FPS multi-player games I'd play. Just can't stand all those stupid bunny-hopping FPS games out there, which feature a full mag or head shot to take someone down, firing accurately while sprinting, and other nonsense. If you aren't used to constantly use cover, in an FPS, then it's shit IMO. It was pretty much RO2/RS or ARMA for me, but I've not really learned the recent ARMA games much yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:53 am 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
That said, RO2/Rising Storm was one of the very few FPS multi-player games I'd play.

If you like a more modern setting - yet realistic - you might want to check out Squad on steam.

It is the follow up by the gang that made Project Reality - which also exists but is based on the old Battlefield 2 engine with all its limitations, but the amount of content and attention to realistic detail with weapons and sounds is amazing for an FPS game in PR.

Rounds will take longer time and demand more comms than the average RO2/Rising Storm round though....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:08 am 
Hair in the soap

wulfir wrote:
NefariousKoel wrote:
That said, RO2/Rising Storm was one of the very few FPS multi-player games I'd play.

If you like a more modern setting - yet realistic - you might want to check out Squad on steam.

It is the follow up by the gang that made Project Reality - which also exists but is based on the old Battlefield 2 engine with all its limitations, but the amount of content and attention to realistic detail with weapons and sounds is amazing for an FPS game in PR.

Rounds will take longer time and demand more comms than the average RO2/Rising Storm round though....

I tried Squad during a free weekend.

Wanted to slit my throat after a short play session. Was riddled with dumbass shit-talking kids being dumbasses on Voice.

Had been warned about all the idiots playing it, but decided to check it out anyway. Rumors confirmed. Which is sad, because I may have otherwise learned to enjoy it. But I got ARMA3 now, anyway, and the supposedly has a lot more to offer. Hopefully fewer young morons, but I'm sure they're always present, to some extent, in a multi-player FPS.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:23 pm 
Sergeant

NefariousKoel wrote:
Was riddled with dumbass shit-talking kids being dumbasses on Voice.

I can imagine. I have only played a few rounds of Squad (wife and small kid makes gaming hard) and the frist round had an idiot Canadian Squad Leader who did not know anything about the game and acted as a bully to the newbies. He thought I was American lol. I was however an exprienced PR player back in the day - PR was then a game where players were overwhelmingly mature and teamwork oriented. Played matches as part of clan which I can recommend. Hopefully Squad can become the new PR but I imagine (sadly) they won't be able to port over all the factions and gear from PR...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:45 am 
Hair in the soap

I'd often rather just go fly some DCS multi-player, or similar MP sims with a high learning curve. The majority of players, there, are of a much more mature sort.

FPSes are the bathtub hair traps of the internet. Reminds me how many spoiled & ignorant asshole kids are about these days. :? Luckily they tend to congregate in such predictable places, online.