maddogdrivethru.net

Open all night
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm 
Sergeant

Reputation points: 2077
Scharfschütze wrote:
On sale on Steam this WE, -33% off.

35% off with the Second Wave DLC.
€31.30

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 pm 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 11448
Some light panzers and a halftrack of panzergrenadiers from 116th Panzer deploying against the Guards Armored Division...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 pm 
Sergeant Major

Little bit further away from the panzers, in an orchard, some panzergrenadiers supported by the machineguns on their halftracks drive back some infantry of the Guards Armored...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 pm 
Sergeant

Bought it on the sale btw, finally got around to do the tutorials, having a blast, creating a Windhund div battlegroup right now!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 pm 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:
Bought it on the sale btw, finally got around to do the tutorials, having a blast, creating a Windhund div battlegroup right now!!!

Nice. :)

Windhund are probably my fave panzer division when I get the urge to play Fritz... pretty much a pure 'play with some elite tanks' division.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 am 
Sergeant

116. "Windhund" is still a bit much for me, with their brittle SdKfz and me not having much of a clue on LOS and placement, switched to 3. Fallschirmjäger for my first minor victory and later to 16. Luftwaffe Feld for a convincing win.

Moved on to 91. Inf "Haudegen" with its Ersatztruppen Sov and Italian Hiwis.
Seems I got burning through lots of Ersatztruppen and pummeling the enemy with artillery down, 91. and 16. LW Feld have Soviet 76.2mm Ratsch-Bumms for artillery, which are great dual purpose guns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am 
Sergeant Major

91. Luftlande is probably my fave German division. It's very good at oozing forward. The front line system means you have to defend everywhere, not just the towns and roads, though it can be hard to get to some parts of the frontline.

You can send the fallschirm to the obviously contested zone, the Ersatztruppen though are so cheap you can send them across the full length of the front and just walk forward. If there's any gap, you'll find it, and all for 50 points or so, not even one minute of income to probe the entire length of the front. Meanwhile you have enough fallschirmjager to send them to the critical zones, and fallschirm are the best infantry in the game - at range, anyway. (Red Devils paras, Stosstrupp and Canadian stormtroopers are all better if you can get to pointblank).

They have a huge amount of potential air support so you can buy time for any salients the ersatztruppen create with bombers until support units arrive to hold it properly.

Windhund has super elite panzergrenadiers so its actually alright for infantry I find, compared to the other panzer divisions. German armoured divisions are super lean in this game, they tend to have few, but elite, infantry. Allied armoured divisions are t he other way around, the Polish 1 Pancerna and Guards Armoured especially - Guards Armoured has more infantry than most infantry divisions I think, in fact! it's just all very green. The Poles have a lot of very naff but very cheap Strzelcy infantry and can have a bunch of 10 man Saperzy flamethrower squads who are top notch assault troops - all while having lots of tanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 am 
Sergeant Major

Scharfschütze wrote:

Don't know these guys that well but they are the current flavour of the month. They are based around those 2 star elite 88mm antiaircraft guns mainly. You should be using those for just about everything with these guys - antitank, antiair. They are universal after all! I'd rearange the antiair tab to include more of those and try and use them for everything.

Against Allied tanks they tear them to bits of course.

Against Allied air, you need a critical mass - 1 88 will do nothing, but 4 88s will make you pretty much immune to bombing, so you need to build them up.

All their infantry are Disheartened which means you need leaders to stop them crumbling fast, so you have to bear that in mind - leaders are never optional really IMHO but they are much less optional for them.

Quote:

Where are the fallschirm! I'd take out those machine guns in A and put fallschirm in instead definitely. I think you can have 2 cards of 4 fallschirm? pretty essential. Machine guns are nice but not as nice as fallschirm are - you also want the ersatztruppen though, at least 1 card of them, for oozing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am 
Sergeant

There´s quite some learning curve involved, still in the discovery phase. Here´s 16- LW-Feld in action:

The LW-Fusilier recon in the farm between the MGs? Damn Canucks will roll up3 tanks next. including a Churchill flame, wiping them out in under a minute. Allied follow-up infantry however is repeatedly driven back by light artillery firing from uphill.

I checked the kills list at end game, seems once I brought a certain 88mm Flak into a good position it killed one target per minute, with a 37mm Flakzwilling sort of ending the struggle on the right flank in my favor, was struggling with light tanks there but that ended with the 2x37mm in place.

Personal highlight: Did not lose either of the StuH42s I bought, used to do so quickly, definite improvement ;) Also used "Reverse" on a -IIIg, cleverly extracting it from somewhere, moved it into the intended firing position and promptly got it blown up by a decloaking 17pdr :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm 
Sergeant Major

Yeah, antitank guns and how stealthy they are is a major part of the game. The British 17pdr will handle any Axis tank in any facing bar the Konigstiger - Panthers have to be a bit closer than other tanks but not that much closer, ~800m or so is killing range even for them. So any of the divisions using primarily British kit (Canucks, Poles, Brits) are always nasty for German armour.

The Yankees need to get a little closer again, their 76mm gun is not that good. But it will destroy any panzer if it gets a side shot, and American bombers are very good. Usual tactic against a supertank with the Yanks is to bomb it, make it fall back, and then shoot it in the side or rear when the panicked tank exposes itself.

The Germans have less of an issue because Shermans have weak armor. Exceptions are the Sherman Jumbo (20 armour, but it has a weak gun) and the bigger Churchills (Crocodile and AVRE both have 15 armour). Even the 5cm PaK is fine for most Allied tanks if they get close-ish, and the 75mm one is more than fine, that will wreck anything except the very rare big ones. Bigger guns tend to be more accurate though. 91 Lufty gets the shitty Door Knocker, but even that can be useful - Stuarts and Greyhounds will be knocked out by it. The fallschirm have some fancy pants vorsprung durch technik thing (Puppchen) that fires HEAT bombs but only to a range of 500m; beyond that it fires AP shells and bad AP at that, but the HEAT shell will basically kill anything if its foolish enough to get that close.

When on the attack, infantry first! might be antitank guns in those trees, and losing an Ersatztruppen is a lot less painful than losing a Panther.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next