It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No trolling, no stalking, no bullshit.

Post subject: 11 Bravo: YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS GAME
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm 
First Sergeant

Reputation points: 10226
I know you are a big fan of, Nigga kultchuh. You will fucking love Grand Theft Auto 5.

The designers of this game are the fucking epitome of "NOT PC and do NOT give a shit"

Honestly, this game could be like the official Maddogdrivethru game . . . except the missions tend to be a bit linear and annoying at times . . .

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 11 Bravo: YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS GAME
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am 
His Most Gracious Majesty, Commie of the Year

Reputation points: 14215
With all the shitbird PC crowd that are nesting in the LA game development hub, it's a miracle that we actually get games which aren't a sermon on why white men are evil and how they must be purged.

GTA V, mighty fine game, loved it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 2776
Kameolontti wrote:
With all the shitbird PC crowd that are nesting in the LA game development hub, it's a miracle that we actually get games which aren't a sermon on why white men are evil and how they must be purged.

What ever, but is the right forum? :roll:

There is the Game Room for games. ;)

Mit der Dummheit kämpfen selbst Götter vergebens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm 
First Sergeant

Kameolontti wrote:

Yep. I just wish it was a bit more "Open World" in the way "Skyrim" is open world.

Anyway, modding for this one should give me some decent experience with how modern high-poly vector graphics games are duct-taped together :)

Anthro: Answer question #2: How do "Climate Change models" mathematically control for the natural forces which caused the Ice Age(s) to come and go . . . repeatedly?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 am 

Anthropoid wrote:
Kameolontti wrote:

Yep. I just wish it was a bit more "Open World" in the way "Skyrim" is open world.

Anyway, modding for this one should give me some decent experience with how modern high-poly vector graphics games are duct-taped together :)

Vector graphics? In a game?

As for how it is made, you have multiple Level of Detail levels of each object. The appropriate one is chosen by distance to Camera object, the renderer. In addition to this Frustum Culling and Occlusion Culling are used to disable objects that aren't visible to player. In GTA and especially console versions you can see this from how if you look at a street and it's filled with cars, turn around and turn back and they're gone except maybe the closest one or two cars.

Also, especially in the console versions due to the shitty hardware and stupid retarded design of consoles they store something like 3-4 cars at any one time to memory which they instantiate upon the road in the "far distance" or appearing as if coming from behind a corner. This is why when you steal a car every other car seems to be of the type you just stole.

Textures are drawn upon meshes via UV maps depicting which part of texture is drawn on which faces, faces being individual triangle faces, triangles being made up of three linked vertexes.

Textures are also along with video the most space and memory consuming things in video games. Especially high res textures are BIG. 4k res texture takes up 4 times as much space and memory as a 2k/Full-HD texture. And you may need these textures if you want to allow the Camera to be brought up close since the quality is the ratio of the texture and the screen size. So if a Full-HD Camera/renderer is rendering a Full-HD texture from a distance where only half of it is visible - the amount of pixels on screen is half that of Full-HD and below the precision of the monitor, assuming you're using the monitor's maximum resolution. Hence if you can zoom up to this level you'd need twice the resolution of the monitor for the texture to keep the pixels invisible.

Mip maps are often created of textures meaning there are multiple versions of the texture, potentially even something like 20x20 pixel version for when you view an object form far away to save on memory and ease up rendering.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 pm 
First Sergeant

Are those NOT vector graphics? I thought "graphics" could be divided into two categories 1. bitmap 2. vector graphics.

Please clarify If I'm wrong, i.e., give me a reading list! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 am 

Anthropoid wrote:
Are those NOT vector graphics? I thought "graphics" could be divided into two categories 1. bitmap 2. vector graphics.

Please clarify If I'm wrong, i.e., give me a reading list! :)

I don't know any single game that would be using vector graphics. It's not impossible but I've just not heard it being used.

The primary mode of using graphics in 3D is to draw a bitmap upon the face of a triangle made of three connected vertexes with the help of UV map telling which portion of the image gets drawn where and in which orientation.

In case of 2D and some 3D's 2D implementations we simply draw the bitmap to the screen while applying rotation and scale to it. In 3D engines it is essentially drawn to a plane and the plane will have position, rotation and scale relative to the screen size as well as tiling options including clamp or no clamp and x and y tile factor, eg. half a bitmap on x axis or n number of it, n being float value and not limited to integers.

If you're interested in games one good place to find reading is here:
https://unity3d.com/

Alternatively you could go for Unreal DK.

Neither has any real advantage over the other.

Mind you that typically in games people are paid less than programmers or artists outside of game development and they enjoy less work security and worse working conditions although the conditions can also vary largely and what is deemed "not competitive" salary is a very subjective consideration. Lots of people tend to claim that you can make almost twice as much outside games while also potentially having a more secure job.

Also, in games you can expect that you cannot afford to make a whole game on your own expense and when you get hired to work on someone else's game the chances are it's going to a stupid game, worse yet it might be a mobile game.

For some inexplicable reason Finnish game industry seems to be hell bent on focusing in mobile games which is absolutely moronic beyond idiocy. But since two companies made it big in the early days then everyone has to follow to the field even if it's beating a dead horse by now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:10 pm 
First Sergeant

Well no shit. "3d game graphics" are really just "more complicated bitmaps!?"

I can see some sense to making mobile games: write in Java so you (more or less) automatically have cross-platform and ample building materials to work with (libraries, sounds, graphics), charge little per unit, sell high volume. Angry Birds has made those guys a lot of dough hasn't it? Obviously Minecraft was a winner.

So what applications DO use true vector graphics?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:00 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Reputation points: 9637
Anthropoid wrote:
I know you are a big fan of, Nigga kultchuh. You will fucking love Grand Theft Auto 5.

The designers of this game are the fucking epitome of "NOT PC and do NOT give a shit"

Honestly, this game could be like the official Maddogdrivethru game . . . except the missions tend to be a bit linear and annoying at times . . .

Noted and on the list. Would love a mission to father an entire generation of mocha babies and eradicate the white race with venereal disease.

I always arrive late to the party, so will likely explore after most have lost interest.

Just getting into Silent Hunter 4 now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 am 
Sergeant Major

Reputation points: 15557
The characters are funny. Not exactly PG or PC.

Not very flattering toward women either.

Profile E-mail